Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Custom › Westone UM 56 › Westone UM 56 Reviews

Westone UM 56 Reviews

twister6

Takes your IEM to CIEM level!!!

Pros: improvement in fitment and isolation, natural seal resulting in sound improvement

Cons: pricey, takes longer to insert/remove from your ear

Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Westone for providing me with UM56 review sample (while audiologist impressions were covered by me) in exchange for my honest opinion. http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/custom-series/um56.html   As I have mentioned in most of my IEM reviews, eartips selection plays the most crucial role in getting the best sound out of your in-ear headphones.  Some people mistake this process, also known as tip rolling, thinking it's only necessary in order to find a better fitment, and they are right to a degree.  The fitment will also control a seal which has a direct impact on the amount of bass and high frequencies. ...
psych_major

W4R-UM56 combo

Pros: sound just blossoms, full sound stage, gobs of air/transparency

Cons: takes some getting used to

I personally prefer the sound of the "Westone" series to the "UM" products.  I use my IEM's for listening to pre-recorded music.  The sound of the UM series is very good, but the WESTONE 4R is the closest I have come to the sound of my FOCAL speakers.  While the sound was pleasing when using the COMPLY foam tips, the UM56 custom tips took  everything up a level.  The bass is still prominent and powerful but just a tad more solid.  It's like a touch more pillow in the kick drum and a little low-mid rolled off the bass guitar and a slight bump across the low frequency spectrum. The mid-range which was stellar to begin with became more controlled as well....