Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Westone 3 True-Fit Earphones › Reviews › c-record's Review

Loving it so far.

A Review On: Westone 3 True-Fit Earphones

Westone 3 True-Fit Earphones

Rated # 32 in Universal Fit
c-record

Pros: Energetic and engaging sound. Comfortable.

Cons: Cable routing up over the ears seems strange at first.

I've never been an in-ear headphone fan.  Most of what I've heard hasn't had the separation in space and imaging that I enjoy in open airs so much.  I got these this month after seeing some of the deal discussion threads along with a couple other headphones.  (Side note: those threads were dangerous, I almost bought a pair of Audeze LCD2's but now I'm saving for an LCD3s. :))

This is a first blush review of the headphones.  They sound much more engaging than the TDK IE800s I just got.  The midrange sounds more captivating, it's neither particularly forward nor dark.  Lots of energy coming off guitar stings.  The seem to image fairly well.  The bass seems very present though not particularly low or tight.  It doesn't feel fast-maybe a bit bloated or tubby.  The bass-midbass-midrange area seems congested sounding some how.  I'm hoping as they break in this improves.  I compare this to a noise floor in preamps/amplifier that is a bit high.  An example is when I first moved into a higher end Arcam amplifier it suddenly sounded like the blackness between notes was so much more black compared to what I had been using that the time resulting in a better and clearer delineation between notes and the realism of the music.  The Westones lack that to some degree for now.  The treble is present though not sharp-I haven't noticed any sibilance.  Cymbals are good but don't sparkle.  The phones seem more midrange driven though with enough high frequency presence that I don't feel I'm losing detail.  Jezabels, Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopfler all sound good so far.

The packaging is nice.  The braided cord feels nice and doesn't seem microphonic.  It is on the short side however.  There is a 1/4" adapter as well as a short section of headphone cable with an inline volume adjuster that can be used.  There are plenty of silicone skirt-type adapters as well as the slow-rebound foam type.  So far the stock pad feels ok.  There is a zippered carry pouch and a tool for cleaning/disassembly.

I know this is hardly a new product or groundbreaking in the in-ear segment.  Still the Westone 3s are exciting for me as I've never quite understood in ears for anything other than to use during exercising etc.  The Westone 3s possess a sound signature that doesn't offend by detracting.  They may be clumsy in the midbass which I may comment on if I note changes once they are broken in.  A solidly good buy and if nothing else they have helped me recognize a segment of the headphone hobby where I'd never felt compelled to roam.

Comments: