Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Violectric DAC V800 › Violectric DAC V800 Reviews

Violectric DAC V800 Reviews

Maxvla

High quality DAC nearing the end of it's life cycle, and it shows.

Pros: Smooth and sweet, yet not glossy. Detailed, but laidback. Many inputs, manual oversampling control. Build quality.

Cons: Lacks aggressiveness, USB input is noticeably worse, Sweet to a fault.

I was sent the V800, V181, and V200 to demonstrate at the Austin Head-fi meet last weekend so I thought I would put up a short-ish review of these items. I've already finished the comparison of the V181 and V200. Please search for those reviews if you are interested. This review will only be posted on the V800 but it will be a comparison of the V800, the Matrix X-Sabre, and the Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 (USB). Unlike the other reviews I will limit my headphone choice to HD800 as it is my primary headphone. I am also limiting the amp to the M-Stage HPA-2 as it is my favorite amp currently in my possession for the HD800. The V181 and V200 are able to run other headphones equally well as they run...
project86

Top quality DAC for less than top quality price

Pros: Stunningly clear, transparent sound, excellent digital volume control, perfect size for headphone setup

Cons: USB does not support 88.2kHz sample rate (but DOES do the much more common 96kHz)

My full review:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/574418/review-violectric-v800-dac#post_7799058   In summary, this is one of the best DACs I've ever experienced, which is surprising since it only costs $1300. That's a lot of money, but actually pretty low for a top class DAC, which is what I consider this to be. In my personal experience I rank it below the Resonessense Invicta ($4k), MBL 1511E ($8k), and very very slightly below the now discontinued Anedio D1 ($1230), but above the Audio GD Reference 7 ($1900), Esoteric D70 ($6500), Wavelength Cosine ($3500), and of course all the usual suspects from Lavry, Benchmark, Grace Design, Musical Fidelity, Cambridge Audio, etc. ...
Zombie_X

A Quality German DAC, The V800

Pros: Incredibly neutral sound that is very linear.

Cons: Non so far!

Hi all, Zombie-X here again with another review for the good boys and girls of Head-Fi.org. I've been playing around with this DAC for about a month now and I figured it's time to give you all a nice, straight to the point review of it.    I would like to take the time before this review to give a shout out to Robert at Aphrodite Cu29 for supplying this DAC for review. He's a good guy in the crazy audio world and knows his stuff. I was swayed to get the DAC, not by his words of praise (well maybe a little), but rather by how it sounds.   I would like to say that during this review I will be comparing this DAC to...