Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › V-MODA XFLPR-PHCHROME Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Phantom Chrome)

V-MODA XFLPR-PHCHROME Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Phantom Chrome)

Rated #599 in Headphones

Pros: Stylish, Comfortable Headband, Deep and Vibrant Bass

Cons: Bit of Clamping Force, Fair Earpads, Not Much Treble

Remember that this review is only about 30 minutes into the headphones. I will divide the review into 3 parts. Sound, Comfort, and Style. Lastly, I will end with a paragraph-long overview.

~SOUND~

The sound on these is excellent, but not superior. I'd say they're mostly fit for Dubstep, Techno, House, and Electronica in general. These would be a dreamhouse for a person who listens to Trap all the time. The bass is exactly as V-MODA advertised it. "Low, Vibrant Bass", which is great for people who are half-bassheads. The bass isn't really in your face, it's just really noticeable. I'm not sure about the mids, since I don't exactly know much about them. I suppose their there, but slightly recessed. The treble is also slightly recessed, but I think a little natural burn-in would shine these bad boys. Overall, the sound is excellent. 4/5

~COMFORT~

The comfort on these is great. I'd say the comfort is good, but not excellent. The headband is nicely padded, not much discomfort on those (except you'll probably have to take them off once every hour). The earpads are great, but slightly undersized. The whole build on the comfort is nicely installed and advertised. 4/5

~STYLE~

These babes will literally turn heads automatically. The shields shine really good, and very metallicly. The oval-shape of the earcups are very nice, it makes your ear fit great. Overall, the style is very detailed and very nice. 5/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~OVERVIEW~

Overall, these headphones will please people who are looking for the first step in high-quality music. If you are coming from the SkullCandy Hesh 2's (Like I am), you will be very impressed with these bad boys. I'll give these phones a 4.5/5.

-Your Caneivor, Heitek tongue.gif

Pros: Elevated bass, decent electronic sound

Cons: Clamping (See review), muddy midrange, recessed treble.

I bought these on clearance from Radio Shack for $100 on a day when I was off from school. This was my first $100+ pair of headphones, and I have to say, I'm very pleased with the result.

First, I'm going to go over some main complaints, and how I feel about them.

1) The fit. V-MODA decided to place the drivers super close to your ears, so if you have remotely protruding ears like mine, you'll only be able to keep them on an hour at a time. HOWEVER, if you get a foam pad off of a cheap pair of come-withs, and place them in the cups, the headphones feel phenomenally better than before. It just so happened that the pads in my come-with headphones have foam pads that fit exactly inside the cups of the ears, and haven't fallen out since. Other than that, adjustable sides, rotating cups on the up and down, but no side-to-side.

2) Accessories. They come with a very nice case that holds the headphones snugly. On the sides, Elastic bands hold cables and the like in place. The Phones come with a 3 button mic cable, a standard audio cable, a 1/8" to 1/4" audio jack adapter, and a carabiner for the case. Overall, the accessories are fairly nice.

3) Sound. (NOTE: THE WHOLE REVIEW WAS DONE ON A FIIO E6, WITH THE APPROPRIATE LOD FOR AN APPLE IPOD TOUCH. IPOD WAS SET ON ELECTRONIC EQ THE WHOLE TIME. Results may vary on your end)

Overall, The headphones have a really nice sound. They, for sure, blow the Beats Studio out of the water, and they definitely aren't just a full-on bass assault. The bass is there, noticeable, but to me, not in your face. The highs are really good, but to some might sound recessed. Mids are also very good. In terms of genres, Trance, House, and Dubstep are extremely impressive. Val's dedication to make headphones that try to express the club feel really shows in these 'phones. I personally listen to music at a fairly low volume (About 4 clicks up from bottom for the most part on the E6), but I can still feel the bass. Very bassy, good examples are A Brief Introduction on Dubstep Production by Dubba Johnny, Crush by Pendulum, Chordplay by Oliver Smith, and Disco Falls by Digital Freq. All Electronic forms of music sound best on the Red EQ setting on the E6. The phones also handle other genres very well, IMO. I listened to the ALAC of Californication (The self master, with highly improved Dynamic Range) through these, and it still sounded great, without any overload of bass. Any genre besides Electronic seems to sound best on the Blue EQ setting. Other examples of good songs that, to me, sound good on these are Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots, Just Like You by Three Days Grace, and Show Me How To Live by Audioslave. Also worth noting is Radiohead's Kid A (Song, Not Album) Sounds very interesting with this setup. They have a great sound overall. If you have problems, both the iPod and the E6 can very easily be modified to help your situation.

4) Appearance. Although trivial, these headphones still have an absolutely amazing design. Factor in the fact that V-MODA lets you get custom side plates, and you have a killer appearance. The full metal, large design is sure to turn heads.

So yeah. The only slight problem with these is the comfort factor, which is easily fixed. 4.5/5.

EDIT:
I'm leaving the other stuff up there just because.
After discovering other headphones (Currently using a set of Grado SR225i), I came to the realization that these are entirely too muddy.
I sold them to another head-fi member for about $50.
You can get better things for $100. Just ask around.
They do have nice bass, but it's too loose. Punchier bass is definitely nicer. The muddy midrange made these near unlistenable for anything that wasn't electronic.
After hearing the M-80, I pretty much realized that these really were not the God-Tier headphone I thought they were.
Sorry for any confusion my bad review I may have caused. Go pick yourself up a pair of M-100s if you really dig the look of the LPs. I'd really only recommend this for people that are trying to ease their transition from Beats into the real high-end headphone world.

Pros: Looks Great, Feels Great, Materials, Very Sturdy, Pretty Portable, Good Mids, A Lot Of Bass

Cons: Highs Are Muddy And Recessed, Lows Are Pretty Muddy, Not Very Comfortable

These headphones are at best good. They look amazing, with its very unique design. As well, these headphones are extremely sturdy, because of the excellent materials used (Leather, metal and memory foam.) These come with an awesome hard shell carrying case, which makes these headphones portable for every day usage. As for sound quality goes, the mids are good. They are pretty clear and accurate, without being recessed. The highs are muddy, and sound very muted and extremely recessed. The mids and lows bleed into the highs in my opinion. The lows are also muddy. Not as muddy as the highs, but still pretty muddy, even though there is an overwhelmingly a lot of bass. The bass seems very boomy, and not accurate and not well defined. Also, these are not that comfortable. The ear cups are way too small and has a very high clamping force.

Overall, I gave the overall a 3.5 stars because of its great design, durability and portability. I also tried the LP2, which is for sure a definite upgrade to the LP.

V-MODA XFLPR-PHCHROME Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Phantom Chrome)
By:

V-MODA Crossfade LP headphones are the result of over four years of research and development collaborating with some of the worlds top artists, products and DJs.  The revolutionary metal design, patent pending 50mmm Multimodal HD drives, premium materials and ultimate ergonomic comfort create the most sophisticated headphone on the market.  Our award winning sound and signature bass make the Crossfade LP the best headphone for listening to all music genres from the street to the stage.

BindingElectronics
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameHEADPHONES
PublisherV-MODA
StudioV-MODA
TitleV-MODA XFLPR-PHCHROME Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Phantom Chrome)
UPC877653001971