Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 › Reviews › chumpas's Review

Better than I thought

A Review On: V-MODA Crossfade M-80

V-MODA Crossfade M-80

Rated # 1 in On-Ear
chumpas

Pros: Lightweight, Round sound, Nice Case

Cons: Ears hurt after long sessions

After much research, I decided to purchase new headphones. I had been looking for good headphones for about 6 months, until I finally decided to purchase the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s. At first I was more inclined to in-ear headphones, particularly Klipsch S4s or Bose IE2. Then, I started law school and saw several classmates wearing Beats Solo and Beats Studios, apart from all the kids on the street. I started researching on which headphones I should get since I mostly listen to Rock and Jazz music. I was amazed about all the info I found. I started freaking out when I saw headphones on the 500$ area and I started to determine a budget. On or around $150.00 was the sweet spot. I was going to wait until Black Friday to see if I could get the Beats Solo, but after reading several reviews I started realizing what everyone was saying. Beats Solos are for bass enthusiasts, which is not bad, but I particularly wanted a rounder more sophisticated sound that didn't overwhelm the guitars on my rock tracks. I also wanted something that would make the mids sound good on my jazz tracks. I wanted something to help me study, not give me a headache.

I'm kind of new to the whole audiophile experience, so don't be quick to judge. I first came across V-Modas while window shopping at the mall. They were displayed at the Microsoft Store right next to the Beats. The price, of course, was the MSRP. So I went home and researched more to see what they were about. I logged into review sites like CNET, Engadget, etc. It wasn't until I reached Head-Fi.org that I was convinced.

The reviews there were very helpful, describing the aspects that I was particularly interested in. I also liked the comments posted by the CEO of V-Moda, Van Kolton. Finally, I decided to read the reviews here. I must say, I was debating between buying the Crossfade LPs, LP2 or the M-80. Black Friday weekend came around and the LPs dropped to an unbelievable 80$. However, I wasn't sure if I wanted so much bass in my headphones. After much debating and looking at my wallet and my needs, I decided to get the M-80s.

When I got them in the mail, first thing I did was open them and plug 'em to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2). I have a couple of songs in there, especially a couple of albums on FLAC. I am amazed. My 30$ Skullcandy headphones are worth nothing to me right now. I am hearing things I've never heard before with these headphones. The sound is more sophisticated. A rounder bass that doesn't overpowers the rest of the instruments. But sound isn't everything. These things are very well made. They look much stronger than my dad's Bose QC3, and I paid half of that here in Amazon. The headphones are also a visual wonder. They loko very stylish. The case is very sturdy too. You can toss it around and put stuff on top of it (books), without having to worry that the heaphones could get squished. One thing that particularly called my attention was the warranty that V-Moda is offering on these babies.

I also recommend that you buy them directly from Amazon or V-Moda and not a reseller/ebay. Apparently there are a lot of fakes out there and V-Moda won't honor the warranty. You should check out V-Moda's website for more details about this. If you have any questions, drop me a reply so I can elaborate on the matter. I must confess I still haven't burnt them in. Hopefully I'll get more out of them in a couple of days.

Edit: Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent portable AMP? Something in the $50-$100 area?

The M80s are wonderful. :) Rather than getting an amp for it, though, you might want to consider getting a better digital player. The Samsung Galaxy S2 is renowned for having very poor sound quality (I had it myself, so I speak from experience - it really is very bad). The Samsung Galaxy S3 sounds much, much better, but you don't have to upgrade your phone - something as cheap as a Sansa Clip would be a considerable sonic upgrade for you.
Glad you like them, I find them to be very capable portable headphones aswell. As far as an AMP goes, there is no real need for one with the M80, you won't really note a difference. Depending on your soundcard you might want to invest into a DAC, so you might want to read through this thread (among others) http://www.head-fi.org/t/623840/best-amp-dac-for-v-moda-m80s
For a portable amp, the FiiO products are usually pretty good for the price you pay. I own a FiiO E7 USB DAC/amp and I think it's worth the $60 nowadays if your soundcard isn't that good. Otherwise, if you're just looking for an amp, people seem to like the FiiO E11.
I have them, and a couple of inespensive amps. I think they are amazing cans, but do not provide much isolation, compared to over the ear phones. They are great for traveling. I agree partly with Kendoji, but would urge you to get an amp and LOD cables. A better player would be a noticeable improvement for music storage and playback also.
For either my ipod or Sony player I bought and use Line Out Dock (LOD) cables made specifically to plug in not to the headphone output jack, but from the 30 pin connector or however many pins your device uses. They provide better sound for a couple of reasons- very high quality cable construction, as well as an output connection with the best quality sound, vs the sound from a headphone 3.5mm jack. I think there is a real difference. I also love both my FiiO E11 amp and another similar quality amp. The FiiO is well priced, and uses an easily replaceable Nimh battery. I always travel with a spare.
I guess I'll try what you guys suggested. Thanks for the feedback.