Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal Black)

V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal Black)

Rated #61 in Universal Fit

Pros: Sound good, keep going with abuse

Cons: microphone broke, fit isn't great for me

After my purchase of these on sale at Radio Shack, I couldn't get them to stay in my ears for anything. I changed all sizes of rubber insert pieces and nothing seemed to be just right. Then after finally getting them to fit alright, somehow the microphone came apart. But they still work, and after taping it back together with electrical tape I can still use the mic. Let's just say that when using them to talk on the phone, nobody ever complains that they can't hear me, even while I'm riding my bike at 20 plus mph down the windy ocean-side highways near my house. I use them for biking and working around the yard, etc and they are very tough. I hate buying new stuff and unless I don't have to then I'll wear these until they break. I like them way better than SkullCandy or some of the other cheapies, and with the mic option they are very good the Iphone. Sound is above average and noise isolation is good. They're not just another throw away set, which is why I keep them around. Worth what I paid.

Pros: Made Tough, Resilient, Solid, [Quite] Bassy, Balanced, Decent Soundstage [for closed in-ears], Excellent Passive Isolation (Military Standard, heh!)

Cons: Not that Good-looking, Remote doesn't work for Android,

I got these from Amazon. Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical due to lack of reviews at the time (positive or negative). But I was ordering my Crossfade LPs [they good or bad, is an entirely different discussion], and the price looked nice so I grabbed them anyways. For $25-30, I have to tell you that they are a steal.

Just so you know, I've had the following:

Some older Sony Walkman in-ear headphones

American Audio HP-550

Panasonic RP-HTF600 S

V-Moda Crossfade LP

Pioneer DJ600S

Beats in-ears (or HTC in-ears, look the same to me)

FannyWang DJ 3000s

Although the Audio Technica and the American Audio remain to be my go-tos for desktop usage, LPs for the street, these BassEQs are pretty damn nice. No in-ear pair that I've had stands equal here. A lot of you out there say that they are not bassy - I mean come on. They outsmart my Sony EX-50s by a huge margin. The only major thing they lack is probably RATTLING MY EARS that I get with headphones. But that's not an apple to orange anyhow, so it's ok.

They are pretty tight on the bass. And it's immense. Anymore would be bass-head standard, which we shy away from mostly anyhow. It's very controlled - something that closed-design gives you without asking. The mids and highs are decent, though they MAY sound a bit damp to many, since these will not have that crystal-clear high or mid note.

In-fact, I'm surprised by the sound-stage. It's pretty nice. I can game, watch movies or talk to someone. I amped them (with an E6 as well as an E07k). They didn't distort. They didn't shake. There is no loose vibration. Everything is tight. They're pretty good un-amped anyhow (on the Samsung S5 or HTC One M8)

As with most V-Moda gear, sometimes they get tight with extended use. Because of the excellent isolation, they sometimes make you too aloof of the world around, and do have some subliminal pressure within the ear [the Crossfades press a bit tight sometimes, but I've gotta give V-Moda a huge + for noise isolation across their products in general].

Now I would like to make a note here to everyone, not to pass these as IEMs. They aren't; they're EXCELLENT earphones. I believe they are colored, and not quite flat. Although sometimes I do find them very close to IEMs. In fact, I put on my American Audios in one ear and these in the other and I swear I couldn't differentiate in anything. ANYTHING, despite the fact that the American Audios are flat as ****, and can pass for studio-monitoring. Either they're so f'ing good, or I'm getting older now. Either way, I was impressed.

Overall, for the price, I believe they are fun, and definitely worth having. I don't really use a lot of in-ears, but I was in a constant state of being some every now and then. After owning these, I look at sooooo much stuff on shelves in stores, but keep asking myself what I'm missing here, and why should I buy this SONY or PIONEER or X.Y.Z.

The answer? Nothing. These have really suspended my further purchases of in-ears. And it's been almost two years now. I must say, I am very, VERY content. Buy them.

Pros: great bass sound is well balanced

Cons: none so far after 4 months

I have to say i have tried and own a lot of in ear phones one my faves are still beyerdynamic that being said v-moda bassfreq are up there and i paid 10 bucks off ebay  nib so i did not expect such quality but i have to say the do kick the only draw back i find is they are a little chunky at the ear but not a problem i have to say its most likely the name that is holding this well built good design set of buds back i know they are a little out dated at this point but as i said they do hold their own against a lot of the more expensive sets i can say that as far as the bass goes its hard to beat , at full tilt no distortion and clear as can be if i was looking for some cheap quality i/e phones these would be the ones if i had known about them , all in all these are very good for the price and if they last any length of time i would say we have a winner ,just one more thing these are very inexpensive and have been comparing them the like of beyerdynamics and  Sennheiser ,Bose, and the likes . all i can say is enjoy !

Pros: Sound, looks, metal build, value

Cons: A bit chunky in the ear

At $30 that I paid for them, these IEMs are unbeatable. You would have to spend much more to get better sound. I prefer these than the Klipsch S4 it replaced, which had harsh high's and muddy low's in comparison and they broke without being abused. So what's so go good about the V-Moda Bass Freq Metal earphones? A lot!

Sound quality is superb, with good overall frequency response and clarity; they're fine to me without any EQ. Good and detailed mid's to high's, and the bass is fairly accurate. Furthermore, the sound is not fatiguing at all.

The build quality seems good with metal casings. I also like the design aesthetics of the earphones although they can feel chunky at times. That said, I find them comfortable enough with good fit (medium silicones are perfect for my ears) and can use them all day at work.

I have the single-button Android version and works well with my phone. They also make a 3-button iPhone/Pod version too. When making calls, I haven't heard any complaints from the people I talk to, so the mic must be ok.

Anyway, they're good earphones, so buy them. I bought 2 pairs.

===== Update 2014/01/02 =====

Unfortunately, I can't seem to comment below. Anyway, I can assure you, 'Aero Dynamik', that I'm a real person who bought these phones and yes, that is my face. Just never had the reason to register before. I didn't talk about myself but I did compare it to the Klipsch S4 that I own and is now broken, which I find not as good as these pair. I suppose I should also mention my other gear that are relevant, which may describe the type of user I am:

MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 that are very fiddly with placement

Logitech F540 that I use for gaming

Panasonic RP-HC500 that I used to use when I go on business trips

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B that replaced the Panasonic

and a pair of Sennheiser RS160 that I barely use but I find very comfy.

Anyway, I'll eventually review some of the above as well at some point. FYI, I bought 2 of the V-Moda's because I lost the first one.

Pros: Bass is controlled, upper mid range has yet to be bested to my ears (in-ears that is), Amazing value

Cons: build design is awkward, uncomfortable after extended use.

Great in-ears. I honestly just typed an entire review on them and my internet crashed. I'll re write it in the future.

I will say this though. They NEED a boost from about 200Hz down. Don't be fooled by their name, they lack bass entirely on a flat EQ.

That is all

V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal Black)
By:

Designed for the style-conscious listener with a penchant for the vivid sounds experienced at the world's finest clubs and concert venues, Bass Freq Metal Audio headphone's premium materials combine to enhance all aspects of the listening experience. BLISS (Bass Level Isolating Soft Silicone) fittings in 3 sizes contour the ear to reduce outside noise and provide deep, yet precise bass. Constructed from a lightweight metal alloy, Bass Freq Metal headphones are also the perfect companion for strenuous activities including working out and running.

BindingElectronics
BrandV-Moda
ColorGunmetal Black
EAN0877653005184
FeatureDeep yet precise bass levels so you can feel the vibe  BLISS (Bass Level Isolating Soft Silicone) fittings contour the ears to reduce outside noise and provide sonic solitude 3 sizes of medical-grade silicone fittings for the smallest to largest of ears Constructed from a lightweight metal alloy
LabelV-MODA
ManufacturerV-MODA
ModelBFMA-U-GBLACK
MPNBFMA-U-GBLACK
PublisherV-MODA
StudioV-MODA
TitleV-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal Black)
UPC877653005184