Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Custom › Unique Melody Merlin  › Unique Melody Merlin Reviews

Unique Melody Merlin Reviews

Positive Reviews

Negative Reviews

Sorensiim

The PERFECT headphones - for me

Pros: Sound and comfort, easily driven. VERY musical, yet very detailed

Cons: The wait is unbearable and UM UK are pretty bad at replying to emails

I've taken down my review of the Merlins and will repost it once I get them back. By now it's been 4 months and I've had them in my posession for no more than two weeks out of those 4 months.   Two weeks into the 3-5 week estimated turnaround time for my remolds/fixing and UM have gone back to maintaining radio silence. Not a word, not a single peep, no replies to emails.    I love my Merlins but I'm starting to *really* dislike the customer service (or lack thereof) from UM UK. Just keep me informed, that's all I ask for.

More Reviews

reginalb

I can't say enough about these things. They're spectacular

Pros: Great customer service (in US from Stephen), great sound, BASS, but the mids and highs still come through, and they arrived a month early

Cons: They're pricey, but not out of line with other customs. So that's like half a con.

Alright, I told the good folks at Unique Melody that I would provide my impressions. I think that I've had them long enough now, and used them from enough sources, to give some feedback.    Thus far I've used them straight out of a Nexus 10, a Galaxy S4, the S4 > E18, my computer > E18, a Clip+ (Rockboxed), a Fuze+ (Rockboxed), and a Sony ZX1. I've flown with them, I've ridden public transportation with them. And I use them at work just about every day. And I absolutely love them. The bass is definitely forward, which they make very clear. You don't buy the Merlin if you want a neutral sound signature, Unique Melody offers other choices for that. This was my first...
shotgunshane

Could this be magic?

Pros: Perfect build quality; fun sound

Cons: Overseas shipping; long waits

Unique Melody Merlin     Foreword:   At the time I ordered the UM Merlin, I had been a registered Head-Fier for right at a year, and like many members who have been around any length of time, had run the gamut of mid and top tier universals.  I have had a great time buying, selling, trading and borrowing all kinds of universals with different sound signatures, ergonomics, materials and drivers, and still to this day continue to enjoy doing so.  I’ve also come to enjoy putting my experiences into reviews, impressions and random posts as the mood, excitement or disappointment strikes.   I’ve come to know many of you quite well, or at least as well as you can know strangers and...
maguire

Unique Melody Merlin

Pros: Bass Low & Boneshattering deep desnt bleed into other Frequencies

Cons: None

My Goto Live Album Warrior, this thing is amazing at the venue feel with bone shaking bass that does not bleed into any other frequencies. Is no Slouch infact he is Very fast...a perfect compliment to the Miracle, UM have got themselves one hell of an IEM..
Bronco628

Unique Melody Merlin

Pros: Fantastic bass that has serious presence but Not overwhelming

Cons: Customer service

I really enjoyed these headphones.  They had everything I wanted in the low's miss and highs.  For me, the bass was just right, others say too much.  The fit was superb  and the workmanship as expected.  The bass port hole on the backside didn't bleed in outside sound as I listened.  This was one of my concerns.   The company was responsive to all my emails, until they got my payment.  After that it was 1 to 2 weeks for a response.  Their responses to emails were always vague and never directly answered my questions.     Would highly recommend for those seeking good sound and a good fit.
project86

Top level custom IEM for bassheads

Pros: Spectacular bass that hits hard but is very well controlled, great mids and highs as well, huge soundstage, build quality is top notch

Cons: Bass might be too much for some people, isolation not the greatest due to vent

This high end hybrid custom delivers on its promise of outstanding bass performance with very natural and well balanced mids and highs. Soundstage is phenominal and the entire presentation is somewhat unique. They could have gotten away with charging $1k or so like many other flagship customs - so although $779 is certainly not cheap, it is a relative bargain.     Link to my full review:   http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/566965/review-unique-melody-merlin-hybrid-dynamic-balanced-armature-custom-iem