Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Ultrasone PRO 750 › Reviews › Krisman's Review

The most unnatural sounding headphones I have ever heard

A Review On: Ultrasone PRO 750

Ultrasone PRO 750

Krisman

Pros: Bass

Cons: Unnatural sound, horrible highs

I will keep this short. I couldn't find many reviews so I decided to take a gamble and try these out for size. The gamble did not pay off! The Pro 750s have a horrible unnatural sound that defies belief. They do work with some electronic music but everything else just sounds wrong. It is not even a matter of taste, responsiveness etc, it is just a very poor technical design. I even let them burn in for around 20 hours to see if that would take off their horrible hard edged treble and overkill bass but it didn't work. They remained unnatural and just overbearing at either end of the spectrum. If you want mega bass and really pronounced highs then give these a try. I gave them to my colleagues to try and all returned them within seconds complaining of the treble hurting their ears. Sorry Ultrasone :(

Despite reading that, i still want to hear a pair.
Be prepared for hearing damage between 3 - 20KHz :)
This appears to be yet another case of poor QC on Ultrasone's part. Having owned the 550, 750, 900, Signature Pro, and Edition 8, I found the Edition 8 to exhibit the worst quality control (I've simultaneously owned 3 unique sets), whereas the 900 sounded downright terrible! Shrill, exaggerated highs, uncontrolled, boomy bass, scooped out mids, you name it. The 500, 750, and Signature Pro's, however, were far more level throughout the frequency spectrum, and I've enjoyed each one immensely. In fact, the Signature Pro sit atop my ranking, as the second best closed-back I've owned (first being the T5p). Unfortunately, Ultrasone REALLY needs to step it up, when it comes to quality control (or lack thereof). The Edition 10 is yet another (unfortunate) example.
I've heard headphones for 50$ that sounds better than the 900, ED 8 and 10. The house sound is metallic, shrill and unnatural. Hope they can get their act together and design a proper headphone. Sig Pro seems to be the right step forward but haven't listened yet. Not sure I even like to when I know how grossly overpriced they are for the sound you get.
I'm sorry to derail the discussion, but the Signature Pro is a rare breed, and I honestly advise anyone considering the Signature Pro NOT to be discouraged by the rest of Ultrasone's (occasionally flawed) lineup. Not too long ago, I attended a local Head-Fi meet where more than one individual gave my Signature Pros a listen, and all were very positively surprised, to say the least. I even had a few listeners inquire about their price, as they were genuinely interested in purchasing a pair. On the contrary, where the 900 Pro and Edition 8 are concerned, my experience was no different than Sweden's.
I picked a pair up about a week ago. I'm loving the sound compared to the HD555 I was using. The mid and high range is just right to me. The bass does seem a tad strong but I haven't burned them in yet, I just turned down the bass on my e17 and it's just right for now. I got them during the $161 Amazon sale and not sure I could do much better for that price range. The treble seems great, I wonder if it's QC differences or personal preference. I'm definitely keeping these.
I have these and the treble did hurt at first, but after burning them in it was fine. Did you burn them is? If so for how long?