Solid Performers, Not Everyone's Taste, My First Nirvana

A Review On: Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Case

Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Case

Rated # 5 in Universal Fit
rroseperry

Pros: detailed, solid bass, good synergy with some players, good build

Cons: fit is a problem for many, not great for all types of music

I jumped on these when Amazon had them on sale.  I had only been on Head-Fi for a month and was looking around to expand my listening horizons. I've had them for nearly a month, but hadn't reviewed them because I wanted to get past the new toy period and listen to them over an extended bit of time and with lots of different material.

Fit was an issue initially. They're huge and I have smallish flush ears. There was a lot of rubbing on the right pinna until I did the flip thing and put on Comply TX-500 tips.  The best fit has come with medium Sony hybrids.

But even before I got the fit right, I was in love. I have the RE0 and Etymotic ER6 and ER-4P. All of these are "analytic" phones, full of detail and cool. They're all great in their fashion, but the TF10s have made me jump in my chair twice.

The first time was listening to Janelle Monae's "Tightrope"  There's a kick drum at the beginning that just pops with these iems.

The second time was Saint Columbe's "Sonnerie de Sainte Germaine".  This is 17th century chamber music. The viola da gamba rips like a crosscut saw.

I've read about the recessed mids with these phones and it's true, they don't work well for everything. I don't think they're good for rock music. But they've been great with  John Zorn's guitar work and other mid-centric music for me.  I don't think they're great with the EQ on my Cowon iAudio 9. But they shine with the Clip+ and iH140.

Comments: