Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Custom › Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors › Reviews › svertel's Review

UE Reference Monitors - Believe It.

A Review On: Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors

Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors

Rated # 3 in Custom
svertel
Posted · 19684 Views · 0 Comments

Pros: Flat and accurate yet not too clinical

Cons: UE customer support isn't the greatest

I'm a laptop producer of electronic music and film score compositions and it just isn't practical to remain tethered to a desk with near-field monitors for tracking and mixing. I need to be mobile but need to know that what I'm hearing will translate accurately to my mixes.

The UERM's allow me to mix with confidence. Everything is clear and well-placed. The bass is exactly right, which is often the most difficult part of a mix. What I hear in my monitors is what I get when I play back on other systems. The separation of instruments and depth of field is really impressive for an IEM. Isolation is quite good - I'm often on a loud train or boat and I can mix without ambient noise distracting me.

I listen to these every day during my commute and they excel at electronic, jazz and pop but since they are engineered to have a flat response the mid and low bass can feel restrained with aggressive rock or hip hop. I may pick up a set of UE 18's for my recreational listening.

Overall I'm really happy with the UERM's and highly recommend them for audiophiles and producers who appreciate an accurate representation of the source material. The fit wasn't perfect the first time so I had to send them back for an adjustment on the right side. The left side fit like a glove from day one. The hard acrylic takes a little getting used to but now it feels just fine. I'd like to try these with a silicone option at some point, both for comfort and increased isolation.

These absolutely require a full burn-in. They sounded awful at first and after about 20 hours they opened up and the veil was lifted. I was so relieved because I didn't realize that IEM's needed as much burn-in as full sized phones.

Comments: