Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Custom › UE 11 Pro

UE 11 Pro

Pros: Great bass, excellent buid quality

Cons: A little heavy on bass, price is higher than similar products

This is my very first pair of custom IEMs after trying almost all of the high end universal IEMs -- SE530,  UE Super Fi 10, Etymotics etc.  The sound of these UE11 Pros is superior in every way to all of the universal ones I had, but even more important they stay in my ear and provide a proper seal.  Since my ear canals get very narrow, I found it very difficult to get any of my universals to stay in my ear and maintain a proper seal.  As you all know, a proper seal is crucial to achieve good full sound with an IEM.  I found UE to be an easy and helpful company to order from.  The fit is great, although it took me a while to figure out how to get these into my ears, and then I hurt myself the first few times I pulled them out.  I suspect this is again partly due to my narrow ear canals.  The build quality is excellent.  I've had these UE11Pros for almost two years now and they have held up extremely well, even though I bang them around, drop them on concrete, wrap them around my various DAPs.  I did have to order a new cable from UE after a year, the old cable suffered for my rough treatment -- however it was quite easy to plug the new cable in. I am not much of an audiophile, but I do love good sound. I do love my bass and I listen to lots of rock, reggae and alternative music. I do appreciate clarity but I'd rather have good full sounding bass over a neutral sound -- and I think the UE11Pro provides this very nicely. I find this sounds really good on my various DAPs -- Archos 5, iPod Touch 4G, Zune HD, Sony Walkman X1050. With my old headphones I often had to do something to pump up the bass, now I find I can play my DAPs flat and the sound is perfectly to my liking -- a nice warm sound which doesn't get shrill when you pump up the volume. And it can handle lots of volume without distortion, and the bass just keeps coming.

Pros: Spacious, lively, full, impactfull, musical

Cons: Same driver count and similar sound found for less

This is my second UEpro purchase.  I started with the UERM as I was hoping for an Etymotic ER4S with bass sound signature.  Well, that wasn't found with the UERM.  The diffuse sound field signature of the ER4S is unique and I've accepted the fact that an ER4S sounds like, well, an ER4S.  Back to the UERM, I was very excited to receive it after waiting less than 2 weeks from the time my complimentary impressions were taken by the UE reps, courtesy of Mt. Hood Hearing of Portland, OR.  I paid the extra for custom art and the final product was nothing short of outstanding.

Long story short, when I received the UERM, I was excited as a candy-deprived kid in a a candy store, but it wasn't the product I had hoped it to be.  The fit was perfect....but the sound signature was slightly different from the that of the universal I heard for only 20 minutes just weeks before.  So, I learned that there can be a degree of differences between universals and the custom made model. And like any purchase close to a grand, you try to convince yourself that it was money well spent with little to no compromises against buyer's remorse.  After a few months with the UERM, I was impressed with the imaging and details that the UERM is known for, but it lacked any musicality that's essential for long term, non-fatiguing listening experience.  I believe if one is searching for the perfect studio monitor sound, the UERMs are for you.  If one is looking for a stage monitor or loud speaker sound, look elsewhere.

Then came the UE11pro.  I have to hand it to UE pro with their direction of manufacturing.  Unlike most custom in-ear companies, UE digitizes the ear impressions as silicone impressions can deform and shrink over time.  Knowing that UE already had my perfect impressions on file was another reason why I returned to UEpro.  The folks at Mt. Hood Hearing hooked me up with a nice discount on the purchase of my UE11pro monitors.  Custom options are the only compromise with UE due to the digitized processing, but I always get clear shells and customized faceplates are the extent for me. Again, less than 2 weeks after my order was placed, I received my UE11pro with translucent royal blue faceplates.

Since the fit on the UERM was perfect, so was the UE11pro. Its sound is the polarity opposite of the UERM.  Nothing is flat, cold, or analytical.  I have the UE11pro paired with my AK100, and contrary to the overblown belief of high output impedance (22 ohm) being bad, IMO, the sound is just sublime. The bass and mid regions sounds unaffected, but the treble sounds a little enhanced, which is a good thing for my ears.  I don't listen to bass heavy genres, but when there is bass, the UE11pro displays it in all its glory without mud, grain, or seepage in the upper frequencies.  The UE11pro sounds great with everything without fuss.

In the end, if I could do all over again, sure I would have gone with just the UE11pro and saved a lot of dough.  The major difference between the UERM and UE11pro, is that the former is to dissect music, the latter is to enjoy it.  However, my personal experience with Mt. Hood Hearing, UE pro, and the final product, I have no buyer's remorse.  Both are great products, and I'm very happy with my UE11pro.

The only con I have with the UE11pro is its price.  There's no hiding the fact that it's one of the most expensive quad driver monitor on the market.  Similar products with enhanced low end can be found for hundreds less.  But price shouldn't be the only consideration when buying luxury level products - service, speed, consistency, stream-lined end to end process all has their qualitative value.

Thanks for reading.

Pros: great lively sound

Cons: a bit heavy on the bass

this is a super high quality IEM, very comfortable and isolating, with sparkly and punchy sound that lends itself best to bass-intensive recordings - whether this means reggae or rock, church organ or rhythm&blues is up to you to decide. it's a little less dependent on amplification in my opinion than the UERM. you'll be surprised to listen to a piano, for instance, on this one: it acquires bigger stomp without being thrown off balance completely. really good also with some classical recordings of big orchestras. watch the volume control, this is a very dynamic IEM!

Pros: Clarity. Sound Stage. Comfort. Life like.

Cons: Cables tend to oxidize over time (turn green). Muffles high-end. I change them every 6 months to a year.

Previous IEM was the Shure 530, which I'd thought was good. The UE11 Pro was a revelation. Music sounded clearer with a better sound stage. I listen to loss-less digital off my Mac thru an off-board DAC. Base does seem to be heavy directly off of iPad or the Mac.  This goes away with the Off-board DAC revealing deep solid base with tone and pitch. The supplied cables tend to oxidize over time. This tends to muffle the high-end and loses detail. I replace the cables every 6 to 8 months (or when I  realize it needs new cables). I am very happy with these.

Pros: Great sound

Cons: Uncomfortable and high fatigue

I've owned E2cs then e4cs, then E500's (Se530's), and then moved to UE-11's. I have to say I was unhappy with the sound moving up from my E500's. They were clearly better, but not as much better as I hoped. The UE-11's had a sharper sound to them and I guess I like the warmer sound signature if that means anything. But after listening for a while and trying the E500's again, I couldn't listen to them. Regardless of how I liked the type of signature, the UE-11's were just that much better.

I'd say they're worth the price for sure but definitely not a value headphone.

UE 11 Pro

The Custom UE 11 Pro combines a quad armature speaker configuration with a three-way crossover – an industry first. The UE 11 Pro features a dual driver subwoofer that tightly and fully details the lows, a dedicated driver for the mid range that is dynamic and clean and a tweeter that produces crystal clear highs. The result is a total acoustic immersion that conveys every detail and emotional nuance to the listener. The custom UE 11 Pro is available with the optional ambient feature to allow for stage bleed while controlling the isolation effect. Specifications Input Sensitivity: 119db @ 1mw Frequency Response: 10Hz to 16,500 Hz Impedance: 18 Ohms at 1kHz Internal Speaker Configuration: Four (4) proprietary balanced armatures with an integrated three way crossover Noise Isolation: -26dB Input Connector: 1/8" (3.5mm) Gold plated

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Custom › UE 11 Pro