Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Portable Amps › Triad Audio L3 › Reviews › gsm1973's Review

To me this amp's audio quality is the benchmark of all other portable amps.

A Review On: Triad Audio L3

Triad Audio L3

Rated # 16 in Portable Amps
Quality
gsm1973
Posted · 2059 Views · 8 Comments

Pros: Best audio quality you can get in a portable amp, period.

Cons: Yes it's a brick and yes the battery pack it comes with is pathetic and yes the dumbest thing of all Triad charge $800.00 and no charger.

If you want the very best audio quality out there this is still the best portable amp I've found. I've been searching for the last four or five years to find to something better and wasted a heap of money in the process. The list of quality portable amps I own is about as long as your arm. The closest amp I've found to so far is the ALO MK-3B+ but it's still not as good as the L3. I've got two amps still coming that might be a chance the Centrance M8 and a Just Audio AHA-120. I put a pre order in for the M8 and from the feedback I've read so far that's probably not going to cut it either, so that leaves the AHA-120.

Managing the L3.

Ok so Triad charge you $800.00 and don't even supply a charger. So here's what I do, don't even bother buying a charger the battery pack in the L3 is a joke anyway. Remove the two screws and open up the L3 and take out the battery pack. The battery pack is stuck in with a type of adhesive so gently lift it from either end while holding down the board it's attached to and it will release. Replace it with two iPower Pro Lithium 9v batteries IP9V520 this will give you around 10+ hours running time. As I recall the original battery pack took 4 or 5 hours to charge and lasted between 2.5 to 3 hours max. When traveling I carry an extra two charged batteries and switch over as needed. Important to remember if you do have a charger for the original battery pack DON'T USE IT TO CHARGE THE LITHIUM BATTERIES. The lithium batteries have to be removed each time and charged on a lithium charger.

.. BEST EVER. but no comment on how it sounds? An some comparisons to other amps would be nice, as would some specs, like how much power it puts out, the output impedance as well, what your using it to drive first of all

still a fun read about the battery thing xD
SkyLab did a review sometime ago that is far better than I could ever do, please check it out. Personally the rig a like the best is the L3 with the original Solo and the iPod 160gb classic, Moon silver dragon cables and Fostex TH900 cans. This combo has enough power to drive even the HE6. The sound very well balanced across the entire spectrum with a lot of depth that makes you makes you want to increase the volume. And you can without any distortion to the point you fear the long term ear damage but it sure is fun. That's all I have time for now, the list of amps I've tried is extensice and on going. If your interested I'll follow it up with a few thought on each then I get a chance.
Is it better than the RSA Intruder?
 Nice impressions gsm. You have no idea though. You think it's good now. Get it a dedicated PSU and it takes it to a whole other level. This amp is handicapped when not fed clean power. I consider it the king of transportable/portable amps.
Hi Black
I own several RSA amps including an Intruder. The Intruder is an AMP/DAC combo in one unit. So if you're asking if I think the L3 has better audio quality, definitely.
Thanks Lee
Using a PSU means I'm no longer portable and that's an entirely different story.
Did you ever hear the old Lisa 3? If so how much better is the new one? I wasn't overly impressed with the old one - especially given the price. Sounds like they made a few improvements.
Hi CustomNuts
No I've never heard the Lisa 3. From what I've read the build quality of the Lisa 3 left a lot be desired but guys put up with it because the audio was so good. I find a lot of the portable amps on the market have a very hard edge digital sound and quite sterile. I find the L3 sounds more analog and has a real warmth to it that just makes you want to crank it up.