Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Trends Audio TA-10.2 SE › Reviews › jazzfan's Review

Sssssshhh... the Trends TA-10.2SE may be one of audio's best kept secrets

A Review On: Trends Audio TA-10.2 SE

Trends Audio TA-10.2 SE

Rated # 146 in Desktop Amps
Quality
jazzfan
Posted · Updated · 1458 Views · 0 Comments

Pros: Small, low heat and power consumption

Cons: The ALPS volume control may become noisy over time

I originally purchased the Trends TA-10.2SE to power my HE-6 directly from the speaker taps (which it does well, by the way).  I've been using the Trends on a daily basis for about a year now to power my Mini Maggie desktop system.  For powering that system, I'm continually amazed by this diminutive and unimposing basic amp.  I've found little to fault with the amp and I frequently find myself just enjoying the sounds from the system.  Although not the last word in detail, transparency, or soundstaging, the Trends is still a solid all around performer at a price that won't break the bank.  At higher volume levels, I do prefer my vintage Yamaha MX-1000 to power the Mini Maggie if I want to hear more detail with less grain, but for daily background listening the Trends suits my needs very well.  For a fairer comparison, I've heard other less expensive T-amps that I did not care for as much as the Trends.  One feature worth mentioning is the built-in internal jumper which can be configured to bypass the Trends volume control if you so desire.  Bottom line, this amp represents an excellent value.

If you are looking for an inexpensive little amp to power desktop speakers (or the HE-6), the Trends should be on your short list of amps to audition.

Addendum (06/18/13):

Increased the Audio Quality rating from my initial conservative rating of 3 stars to a more appropriate value of 4 stars based on a recent direct level matched comparison to the Yamaha MX-1000.

Comments: