Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Teac UD-501

Teac UD-501

Rated #44 in DACs

Pros: Play DSD, excellent headphones amplifier

Cons: Major problem happens sometimes over USB

This will be the second review on this product that needs, by seeing the number of review, to be discover more! I was searching a DAC for our home-theater/audio setup. Composed by 3 Totem Tribe III because the rest of the family is more axed on the movie section I took an Integra 70.5 for the amplification section but I wanted to bypass its DAC. My retailer in Québec as a 100$ off on the UD-501 and for what it can do, I jump on the occasion. The support of DSD was a benefit for me because I have a lot of DSD music that I ripped on my NAS and the only way to play it was to send the audio via the HDMI connection of my computer to the amplifier directly. I compared the sound to the integrated DAC in the Integra (not a bad one at all for a receiver) and the sound is more rich in the high. I use the UD selected to "sharp" with my MDR-500V and it acts very good as an headphones amplifier. I compared it to a PS Audio PerfectWave DAC both plug into a Power plant P10 on my main system and the difference isn't so big compared to the price difference.

The only recurrent problem was, not very frequent, the sound grish like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhf4uxY-tck

Like in the video, changing the input selector to Coax and going back to USB resolve the problem but it's annoying... Maybe it's my USB cable that came with an HP printer... Next purchase!

Pros: excellent dac

Cons: no preamp function

I am surprised that there were no reviews of this dac on head-fi. So let me be the first.

I have had this dac for over a year now and it has blossomed into a very good dac in my desk top setting. I am using a pair of emotiva airmotiv 5s monitors and the set up is sounding pretty impressive for monitors of their size. It has taken awhile to get the most out of my set up. I have settled on interconnects and power cords . I am using balanced nordost heimdall v1 interconnects to my powered emotiva airmotiv 5 monitors and emotiva power cords on the airmotiv 5s. On the teac ud-501 dac I am using a nordost brahma power cord .

The teac ud-501 has turned out to be a excellent performer. The sound is very dynamic and tight sounding. There  is ample weight in the presentation with good clarity as well. The headphone amp sounds very good as well with my akg 701s with good clarity and decent detail reproduction. You will definitely not be bored with its presentation .

The only negative is that the teac ud-501 does not have any preamp function ability. I have had to rely on the volume control on my emotiva desk top monitors . If it had a preamp function the ud-501 would be pretty much a perfect desk top solution . It would have been interesting if it had single ended and balanced preamp outputs . But as it stands I have little to complain  about this excellent dac.

Teac UD-501
By:

Digital to analogue converter with USB, 2xOptical and 2xCoaxial inputs RCA and XLR outputs Tenor 8802 USB high-speed input from PC or Mac 32-bit/192kHz dual Burr Brown D/A converters Supports asynchronous transfer mode Toroidal transformer 192kHz upconversion Dedicated headphone amplifier section with volume control Aluminium front panel

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Teac UD-501