Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › TEAC HA-P50B Portable DAC + Amp › TEAC HA-P50B Portable DAC + Amp Reviews

TEAC HA-P50B Portable DAC + Amp Reviews

kleefurd

Straight in, straight out, can't get simpler than that.

Pros: Well built, clean, warm tone. Powerful sound. Very "British" voicing.

Cons: No way for sound sculpting, but it might be better that way.

Source : MacBook Pro (Optical Out) iPod Nano (7th Gen) iPad Mini Retina Headphones : Westone W40 Beyerdynamic DT1350 Sennheiser HD25-1 Mode of testing : (1) Optical out from MBP into amp. (2) USB connection between amp and iOS devices. I shall not go through the specs of this little gem in here. They can be found at   http://teac.jp/product/ha-p50/overview/ or http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail58051.html   What I want to share is real world owner's experience.   A little background. I am a retired sound engineer who have worked in some prestigious studios in my past life. So I am familiar with high end 4 way monitors, high end consoles like SSL, Neve,...
rigodeni

Powerful and versatile little amp/dac

Pros: Good contrsuction, low noise floor, powerful, versatile

Cons: Price, has a little bass boost which can be unpleasant on already bassy headphones

Smaller than I expected from photos. High quality materials, switches, and knobs throughout. I have 20-300ohm headphones in my collection and with the Lo/Hi gain switch this amp was a great fit with all of them. Even with my HD 600 (300ohm) I did not need to pass 11 o'clock on the volume dial with high gain. It can take power input from DC IN and use Micro USB for digital input at the same time (isolating power from the digital signal). So it can be used as a desktop or laptop sound card. It can also charge while in use with the single Micro USB input. Sound is a step up from on-board audio (Dell XPS 8700) for sure. But will not replace a middle to higher end full-size Hi-Fi desktop...