Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid › Reviews › White Lotus's Review

T-PEOS H-300 - a neat upgrade.

A Review On: T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid

T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid

Rated # 53 in Universal Fit
White Lotus
Posted · 1978 Views · 4 Comments

Pros: Superb sub-bass impact and detail, great dynamic range, excellent overall detail

Cons: can be slightly peaky in certain areas, with specific genres of music

Foreword:

I'm a production manager, but focus mostly on sound engineering and installations. I install and tune a lot of P.A equipment, and also mix live acts. My work environments consist mainly of:

- live venues,
- concert halls,
- bars
- nightclubs.
- festivals
- events

I've taken a huge liking to headphones - IEM's in particular. I like the idea of having my own personal PA system that I can take with me anywhere. With Rockbox being in such advanced stages, and such great low-impedance portable amps coming out, you can really seem to get any sound signature you wish out of a portable rig.

Enter, the T-PEOS H300.

Packaging and accessories

The front and back packaging:

The inside has a neat little display window:

It came with the interesting tri-colour cable, as well as a solid black with remote and shirt clip. The remote doesn't have seek buttons, or volume adjustment, just a start-stop. It worked fine with my android device.

A decent amount of tips – you would be surprised how often manufacturers skimp on these.

Includes foamies, olives, and some others. You would be sure to find the right fit here.

And a neat storage pouch:

On the Festival circuit, you might see a few JH metal IEM tins hanging around backstage, with peoples names on them. It's a really nice touch that T-PEOS included this. I move around a fair bit, so strength in portability is really important to me. My Westone ES3X are locked away in a monitor vault, which is always thrown into my toolbag.

Build quality:

The H300 body is made entirely from aluminium and stainless steel. A great mixture, and incredibly lightweight for a hybrid.

The both cables are also incredibly light. I found the black cable to be a little too “rubbery” for me personally. The tri-colour felt a little more solid, but suffered from the same microphonics. Nothing too nasty, but any rubbing or tapping of the cables after the Y-split will result in audible effects.

Overall, a great feel, very lightweight but sturdy. No blaring faults here.

Feel/comfort:

Considering their low weight body and feather-like cables, this is a pretty comfortable experience. I had no problems listening to them at-length (ninety minutes or so at a time).

My girlfriend has tiny little ear canals, and she often has problems with IEMs unless they have a small nozzle. It's worth noting that she found them more tolerable than other wide-nozzle IEMs, but still couldn't wear them for long amounts of time.

Although she is definitely not the average IEM user. I think most people would be fine with the fit of these.

Quick foreword:

I am a complete basshead.

Also, I really don't subscribe to some of the common techniques people use to summarise sound signatures. I've found that when building and tuning a PA for a live venue there are many things to take into consideration. For my own benefit, I describe my sound signatures differently. The idea that all sound signatures are either “U-SHAPED” or “FLAT” is ridiculous. It's just not that binary. Sound signatures are always far more complicated than this, and I can't help but feel a little dismayed when products get pidgeon-holed into either the “U-SHAPED” or “FLAT” pile. Anyway, enough complaining, back to the review.

Sub-bass:

Impressive. The H300 is every reason why a hybrid designed IEM is a great idea. My bass tests indicate easy audibility down past 20hz. There is a slight roll-down between 80 to 20hz, but it still remains strong. The Sub-bass response is very flat for an IEM. The sub-bass region is very pronounced, and can produce quite an impact when called upon.

Mid-bass:

Punchy, detailed, deep. Makes electronic music definitely enjoyable. The bass detail retrieval is quite impressive. Being a dynamic driver, it happily plays with the bass boost functions of my DAP and amp more than most balanced armature drivers can.

Bass-lines are well defined, pronounced, and strong. This is the way a hybrid should be. They seem to have a lot more mid-bass presence than the H200 did, thankfully. I always felt this was an area that the H200 was lacking in. Although, it's been several months since I've heard the H200, so this is not a direct comparison.

Great impact, and no audible bleeding into the midrange. An excellent crossover point.

Mids:

I don't personally find them too recessed – however, I do find them taking a backseat to the highs a little. The mids are sweet, with high levels of detail and low fatigue. Being a 3-way unit, one can only assume that one of the drivers is dedicated to the mid-range. Usually this is where I pick the crossover frequency between the low and mid drivers – usually in a hybrid this is more obvious – but I'm really struggling to do so with this unit. If I absolutely had to guess, I would assume it's the tiny, almost unnoticicable dip around 200hz before it continues to the rest of the mids.

Well done, T-PEOS, another beautifully performed mid-range. I always found it to be a strong points from products from T-PEOS.

High:

Again, some great detail retrieval here. I know that I'm very sensitive to peaky treble, and I do get a tiny bit of trouble from these on occasion. There are a few key points that stick out to my ears on certain tracks – strangely, I'm finding the peaks around 6.5-9k. Is this where the second and third driver crossover points are, I wonder? The coupling effect can go either way, depending on the EQ technique used to transition between the two BA drivers. Ideally, you would want a slight dip, instead of a peak. This is, however, just hypothesizing.

On some songs, I also had trouble with the 12-14k range. Definitely not a problem with acoustic recordings, but with some electronic music it can be a little sharp.

Overall opinion of sound:

An incredibly wide sound-stage, with pinpoint accuracy. I can't detect channel imbalances, and find the range of these hybrids fantastic. The bass is superb, and is slightly overshadowed by the highs if listening to electronic music at a higher volume.

For classical, orchestral and acoustic music, I'm struggling to think of an IEM that I prefer more.

They have a wide dynamic range, and can scale very well between genres of music.

TL;DR:

A superb overall sound, fantastic detail, with an emphasis on both sub-bass and highs, but still plenty of attention given to the mids.

Comfortable, lightweight, well built.

Big thanks to H20Fidelity for loaning me this pair for review.

Great review! It will be very interesting to compare these to the DN-2000.
Great universals if I read you right
re xover =) can't hear it either.

we best consult master @Tomscy2000 by tagging him, if it works in reviews. (he may tell use the cap/res values and probs complain how wrong I am )

http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/5e/5e0d3ed7_H-300_fr.jpeg I suspect there's one near (mid-hi) 3.5k (H300 fr), where it rolls off the mids until the highs driver picks up

at least looking at the 'xover issue' in h200 between 3 and 6ish k http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RY0svJjgSNo/UdrfBficjiI/AAAAAAAAHVo/4i_JmmRo0OY/s640/elect.jpg (not present in h300)
where it looked like mids rolled off too steeply and highs didn't pick up early enough and weren't boosted enough relative to the mids as we seen in H300.

These are 3 way, i'm not sure if there's one xover for the bass to mids transition for the DD or if there's an extra one between highmid-high, or if the impedance max/min and inflection points aren't from xovers but from driver's natural impedance swing.

tldr i suspect it's more likely to have a low pass filter for the bass driver (given it rolls many dbs from sub bass to mids)

let's sneak in a few more graphs to look at http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DunuDN1000.pdf

http://www.knowles.com/eng/content/download/4382/60341/version/2/file/TWFK-30017-000.pdf <- it's curious to see that flavour of twfk has no bass roll-off as such, but the DD would probs mask it
>'m not sure if there's one xover for the bass to mids transition for the DD or if there's an extra one between highmid-high,

as in on top of the what i think is at 3/3.5k for a total of 2