Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Stax SR-202 › Stax SR-202 Reviews

Stax SR-202 Reviews

JustinBieber

Good entry level electrostatic headphones

Pros: clear, revealing, fast, large soundstage, cheap

Cons: lacks body/bass impact, cheap construction and pads, slightly bright

Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the dynamic headphone comparison, a Schiit Lyr (with Sylvania 6BQ7A tubes) was used with the same DAC and interconnects.   First off, the driver unit: There isn’t really too much to say about the driver, it feels well built and looks beautiful in person. The potentiometer utilizes a double axis design, which means you either turn the whole knob to make the left/right channels louder. Or, you can move an individual portion of the knob to make the sound louder in only one side of the...
snapacap

The clarity of the HD700 without the disadvantages of dynamics.

Pros: Detailed sound, rather unique, adjustability, neutrality, always gets my head to bob.

Cons: Build quality, comfort & pads, cable, "suction"

I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank.   I will start with the things I hate, because cynicism.   1. The build material is awful   Some of the plastic, especially the forks, is beneath that of many Happy-Meal toys.   2. They clamp a bit, but not horribly so.   I am very sensitive to this, so I think many will be fine with this.   3. They are not very easy to find   Unless you know where to look, or get lucky on the forum.   4. Stax and their criminal cable design.   Ribbon cables belong in computers 15+...