Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphones › Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphones Reviews

Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphones Reviews

Currawong

The pinnacle of headphone listening.

Pros: Detail, naturalness and resolution on another level above anything else out there.

Cons: You'll never have a good enough source for them and the best rig will cost as much as a quite excellent speaker rig or even a car.

Knowing where to begin describing these is hard. The closest I can come is my first experience listening to a pair of full-size swiss Piega loudspeakers back in the early '90s. The resolution of those things was so incredible I thought that they reproduced the notes of a double-bass with such amazing resoultion you could hear the detail of the strings vibrating and that's before you get an idea of what their ribbon tweeter could do! Similarly, I recently experienced the capabilities of the Linn Klimax Twin power amp on a variety of speakers. The absolute authority and perfection of its presentation was something to behold and it immediately drove me to wonder how it might be possible to...
Asr

Stax's new flagship

Pros: High level of clarity, relatively close to neutral, wide & open soundstage

Cons: Not as natural-sounding as OII MKI, flatter imaging than OII MKI

Originally published on November 11, 2012   Note: this review is an exact cross-post from post #1 of this thread on Head-Fi, which contains some user discussion on the review that may be relevant to read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/635893/mini-review-stax-sr-009 - download a printable 6-page PDF version of this mini-review (right-click the link & save target, or just tap for mobile devices) Intro I've been an owner of the HeadAmp BHSE for just over 3 years so far, which I use with the Stax SR-007 (OII MKI). My opinion of the OII/BHSE is that it forms the best headphone system that I've heard and is so amazing that it's changed me on the inside forever and continues to do so...
uchihaitachi

Excellent but a bit too expensive

Pros: Well crafted, detailed and realistic timbre

Cons: Price

As the subjective sound quality of the SR-009 has been extensively discussed in the other reviews, I will focus on my objective experiences. Whenever I purchase new high-end products, I always choose to run a blind test consisting of the model in question alongside other high-end headphones. This time, the comparison counterparts included the LCD-3, HD800, HD650 and Orpheus.    My subjective impressions always tend to take a similar route: there exists a very strong correlation between the price tag and the sound quality that I perceive. It was no different this time. Therefore, I performed the blind test on ten participants who are all fellow classical musicians in a...
tmarshl

Just Got Them

Pros: Detailed

Cons: Expensive

Will write a review after I have had them for a while.
Lan647

A superb, but pricey, flagship headphone.

Pros: World-class build quality. Extremely comfortable. Detailed and utterly effortless sound.

Cons: Ridiculously expensive.

STAX have always been the choice when it comes to ultimate transparency through headphones, thanks to their superior electrostatic designs. When you listen to a good STAX headphone, suddenly everything sounds more like live music. The soundstage is perfectly defined, dynamics are explosive yet effortless, and the tiniest nuances and textures in the music come through clearly as can be with an absolute naturalness - all with a smoothness of sound that makes even the best dynamic headphones sound somehow rough around the edges.    In some ways, the SR-009 is the best headphone STAX has ever produced, but not in every way.    Starting with the...