Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese Import) › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese Import) Reviews

Positive Reviews

a_recording

Sony XBA-40: A Better XBA-4 - but still an acquired taste

Pros: Good comfort, strong isolation, holographic instrument separation and uncanny imaging

Cons: Very dark, thick sound, hard to wear cable up, needs low impedance source

Along with the summary below, I have a review thread comparing the Sony EX1000, 7550, XBA-4 and XBA-40 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/608553/review-comparison-two-flagships-pass-in-the-night-sony-xba-4-review-vs-the-mdr-ex1000-updated-with-7550-and-xba-40   I also posted a Youtube review video of the XBA-40. If you like the video please check out my channel for more reviews :)     Summary   BUILD   The XBA-40 has quite a comfortable design. Despite the large size of the earpieces they fit in my ear well and the light weight makes them quite comfortable. However, depending on the shape of your ear the large body may be uncomfortable with...

Negative Reviews

Deeman

An above average performer. Just.

Pros: Its great for bass-loving listeners. Fun sounding with great soundstage.

Cons: Recessed midrange. The highs don't sparkle enough.

I got the XBA-40 almost a year ago. So I've been listening to these for a while now and know well the limitations and string points of these headphones. With that said, this is my first review and not have had very much experience with headphones so far. My only other headphone that I've bought with audiophilia in mind was a pair of Sony's too. The XBA-1(exercise versions), which i had a very bad experience at first and then gradually started to like. I've lurked around headfi for awhile now, so i have a vocabulary of the terms and words used when referring to certain sound sigs, ill try and use them to the best of my ability to explain the sound of the XBA-40's to you guys.   Oh...