Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 › Reviews › pmangan35's Review

Don't pay up for these

A Review On: Sony X Headphones MDR-X10

Sony X Headphones MDR-X10

Amazon.com
pmangan35

Pros: very comfortable

Cons: disproportionate price to quality ratio, ugly, too bass heavy

The only reason I have these headphones is because I got them for free. Having them for a few days now I thought that maybe if I the diaphragm loosen up they would get better.. no such luck. I'm listening to them currently and I feel that they are much to heavy in low frequencies and the mids seem to fade into the background. Highs are strong which is nice but they could do with much more accurate representation of the audible spectrum. This is what happens when a pair of headphones gets a celebrity endorsement. They fill them with bass for people who think that's what hi-fi is and charge an exorbitant amount of money for them. They are one of the more ugly sets of cans I have had the displeasure of seeing in a long while but hey, that's just one man's opinion; some people say they're nice looking. The only thing these headphones exceed in, in my opinion, is that they are very comfortable as is the way with most Sonys; although, I do wish they were a bit lighter since they feel like most of the weight is on my actual ear and not the top of my head. All in all, I would not recommend buying these but if you can get them for less than 150 and don't mind how hideous they are then go for it. Of course for less than 150 whats wrong with a pair of Grado SR80i's?

*update*
Less than one week into using these, the iPod compatible cord that came with it started to distort horribly when you change songs from the home screen unless you pull the cord out and plug back in. Also it will automatically pause your music if you open the internet browser. Way to go Sony.

you should give it to me for free as well!
These are my favorite cans for electric and hip-hop music. The sound stage is very large especially when amped. They dont sound fantastic without some power, so running them on an ipod or phone they wont wow you . They can hold really hold that 3000mw they claim ive put it on them. They are well paired with the FIIO e12 amp. You cant expect to run a set of seinnhouser 650hds off a ipod alone .
Lol these are $80 right now so...