Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp Reviews

Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp Reviews

LeoTheAwesome

Amazing AMP/DAC

Pros: looks amazing, built like a tank, gives your iOS device new life

Cons: Battery, no proprietary carry case

Overall Impressions    This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it, it calls your attention, I even make a point of not keeping it visible when I’m on the go. (I don't live in a safe country). It screams awesome all over it, it must be the best looking portable AMP/DAC I’v seen to date.    Build Quality    The build quality is second to none, the level of detail and attention is beyond the expected for audiophile items. Many expensive audiophile toys (not that the PHA-1 did not hurt my wallet) are purely based on sound quality...
Cotnijoe

A Great iDevice DAC/Amp That Is More Within Budget

Pros: Great form factor and brilliant design, very solid build, great versatility in function, enjoyable and laid back sound

Cons: channel imbalance at low volumes, no line out, battery life, lacks a little detail

The Sony PHA-1 is a great option in the few selections that one has for idevice DAC/Amps. Its been around for over a year now and with the news of the now released PHA-2, the predecessor of the PHA-1, the price of the PHA-1 has dropped quite a bit. For a while it hovered around the 400 dollar price point, but now it can be gotten around $330-350, making it one of the most affordable options for the idevice dac/amp. Having had these for a little over two months now, I thought I'd give these a little love and share my thoughts with the hope that, just because the hype is currently around the PHA-2, this nice little device wont be forgotten.   I'm currently running these with my...
DrSheep

Great mid level digital amp, but weak analog amp.

Pros: Great value for a medium level portable amp with asynchronous USB support.

Cons: (Weaker than usual analog amp even the spec said otherwise.) - Ignore, it was my F807's fault not the PHA-1

Update: it turns out to be my F807 having a rather weak line out and not the fault of the PHA-1.  Therefore please ignore my comments about the gain issue and I am bumping up my rating from 3 to 4.   Ok here is my take on the Sony PHA-1 along with their F806 Walkman and the Sennheiser Momentum, and to be honest, I think some of you may not like it…   Here is a bit of background, the PHA-1 is MSRP at $600, but I paid for mine at $400 from Amazon, and this is my baseline on judging its value. However, most of you should able to find it for around $350 if shop around.   My bottom line for this little wonder is that it does a good job as a DAC with good...
Thomas Yeo

Made for each other!

Pros: Very detailed music

Cons: Wish it comes with a pouch or box

I tested with various headphones and finally decided to pair it with a V-Moda M100.  After using for a few days, they seemed to be made for each other.   The headphones can produce the detailed music from the Sony amp - throbbing bass (you can feel the skin of the drums!), natural voices and clear notes from the instruments.  You can know the location of the instruments.  The bass does not overwhelmed other frequencies. Peaks and valleys of the music do not break nor hiss - they are helped by the quietness of the background.  I could not hear electrical hiss, the amp is so unbelievably quiet and as a consequence enhanced the music and vocals. ...