Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones › Reviews › Zeebra's Review

Absolute bargain!

A Review On: Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones

Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones

Rated # 23 in Universal Fit
Zeebra

Pros: sound, price, comfort, replacement earbuds, looks

Cons: a bit hard and plastic feeling cord causes microphonics

Having a thing for throw-away grade earbuds, I saw these pretty sleek things for 9,90€ in a supermarket and thought hey, why the hell not! I wasn't expecting anything, but damn these little things surprised me!

The lowest of low frequencies roll off ever so slightly, so one might consider them mid- and high-frequency weighted, but the term "natural" comes to mind more. The buds perform very slightly might weighted so without feeling shrill or "Grado"-like, not emphasizing anything too much. The sound isn't aggressive and doesn't cause ear-fatigue. The sound is clean, doesn't distort at high volumes, and at least I seem to pick plenty of detail from records with these buds. I like them a lot!

Very sleek and pretty, I like them more than most much more expensive products!

Stays in ear very well with the smallest of the three replacement buds, the bud material is good and they don't fall off the actual earphone easily at all, very firm on that aspect too.

4/5, I heard my wife when she raised her voice. Good for commuting, loud public areas, and ignoring anything else but the wife.

I can't emphasize this enough, if and when you've got extra $10 to go towards your audio hobby and you come across these, GET THEM! Sorry for the hype, but I would say they're worth it, as it's the first time I come across this good sound for this price. The DealExtreme's CX-300 clone came close, but were inconsistent sample to sample. I would suspect a retail Sony earbud is more trustworthy.

The Sony EX10 may be good. I haven't heard it. I am very impressed with the $8 JVC Riptidz. The EX10 is $11.64 on Amazon. The Riptidz has 11mm drivers, while the EX10 has only 9mm ones. On Amazon, some reviews claim a lack of bass for the EX10. While the Riptidz is not for bassheads, it does have a decent amount of bass(not the amount the Panasonic RP-HJE450 has though. The HJE450 is $23).
I did mention the slight emphasis on mids and highs, but I find it very comfortable. I only like the earthquake bass in movies. On top of that I don't usually relate with internet reviews too well. For instance, I hear a lot of criticism that my speakers (B3031A) "dont hav enuff bass", while I consider them very strong and flat on all frequencies. And I would doubt that the size of the driver matters all that much if the overall engineering is ok, it's only one specification. These things get very loud with "just" 9mm drivers, without distorting.

But I will keep that in mind and see if I can find Riptidzs somewhere. Thanks!
Hi, i'm new here and read about your opinion about this IEM, and i suggest it to buy to anyone of you, great sound, enough bass, smooth treble