Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones Reviews

Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones Reviews

xflight297

These must be taken for what they are... studio monitor headphones.

Pros: Lightweight, full over-ear pads, full & balanced sound, neutral, long cord

Cons: Cumbersome and awkward, long cord is too long, bass can get muddy

I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and especially not without a proper amplifier. Using them with a tube headphone amp the quality increases like crazy. Because they are studio monitor headphones, they are supposed to have very little influence on the signal themselves, and in a studio, you'll probably have at least a half-decent headphone amp. Used with an iPod, you do have to turn up the volume quite a bit to get a balanced and moderately full mix. At high volume levels, and particularly with loud bass, the sound will get...
freqazoidiac

For the price - excellent value

Pros: Balanced -neutral sound

Cons: Not good for portable devices

I bought 2 pairs of this at Shoppers Drug mart in Canada for around $20.00 a pair. I was immediately impressed with the sound quality and neutral balance. I have read many reviews of people saying these lack bass. I disagree. I do not enjoy bass dominant mixes and this is a statement made by the uneducated. Boosted sounds are created with magic circuits and I banish those qualities from my products. I play music through my Yamaha Natural Sound amplifier from 1980 so I value a neutral sound. I do some rough mixing on these sometimes in the night or when I travel and rarely have to re-do something when I check back with my monitor speakers. These are not good for portable devices as...
Courageousbo

I Don't know what sony was thinking......NO volume, NO low end, NO Mids, Great Treble. it sounds like your listening to music thats 30 feet away.

Pros: Great Treble, Very Nice Clarity, Very Comfortable. Very Nice Build Quality.

Cons: Very Horrible Low End, Lacks upper midrange. Super Long Cable, (can be a pro or con), Highs can be very sharp at times. would be good if they were $10

I listed all the pros and cons, but i will say this, these ARE NOT worth $20. Do yourself a favor and get the JVC Riptidz, and EQ the treble a little, and you got yourself a foldable Monster, ready to destroy everything in its path for $20, If you listen to dubstep, techo, trance, drum and bass...... don't buy these, if you maybe just want to try it, get it from a store with a good return policy, the soundstage of this headphones could have been amazing, if sony worked out the driver better... and people say its just $20 so why complain....... go try those JVCS i mentioned and then talk. i just want the best bang for buck, Sound isolation is not too bad, Cable is so heavy, it...