Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones Reviews

Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones Reviews

Positive Reviews

xflight297

These must be taken for what they are... studio monitor headphones.

Pros: Lightweight, full over-ear pads, full & balanced sound, neutral, long cord

Cons: Cumbersome and awkward, long cord is too long, bass can get muddy

I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and especially not without a proper amplifier. Using them with a tube headphone amp the quality increases like crazy. Because they are studio monitor headphones, they are supposed to have very little influence on the signal themselves, and in a studio, you'll probably have at least a half-decent headphone amp. Used with an iPod, you do have to turn up the volume quite a bit to get a balanced and moderately full mix. At high volume levels, and particularly with loud bass, the sound will get...

Negative Reviews

Dokins

Good for watching movies, not for listening to a music

Pros: Design, overall looks, long cable

Cons: Low sound quality

These headphones are not for a true audiophile person. If you just want to watch movies on YouTube and talk with your friends on Skype - they will do the job for you. But if you want to enjoy your favorite music don't expect that you can get much out of 30$ peace of plastic. They look good from the distance, but all materials have that cheap feel when you hold them in your hands. Comfort is acceptable though, they fit nicely around the ears, the only think that can cause discomfort is plastic bent that is on top of your head, sometimes it can really hurts and if you use them for more than 10-15min you can feel the pain on your skull! There are no soft materials on top. I think that most...

More Reviews

freqazoidiac

For the price - excellent value

Pros: Balanced -neutral sound

Cons: Not good for portable devices

I bought 2 pairs of this at Shoppers Drug mart in Canada for around $20.00 a pair. I was immediately impressed with the sound quality and neutral balance. I have read many reviews of people saying these lack bass. I disagree. I do not enjoy bass dominant mixes and this is a statement made by the uneducated. Boosted sounds are created with magic circuits and I banish those qualities from my products. I play music through my Yamaha Natural Sound amplifier from 1980 so I value a neutral sound. I do some rough mixing on these sometimes in the night or when I travel and rarely have to re-do something when I check back with my monitor speakers. These are not good for portable devices as...
Courageousbo

I Don't know what sony was thinking......NO volume, NO low end, NO Mids, Great Treble. it sounds like your listening to music thats 30 feet away.

Pros: Great Treble, Very Nice Clarity, Very Comfortable. Very Nice Build Quality.

Cons: Very Horrible Low End, Lacks upper midrange. Super Long Cable, (can be a pro or con), Highs can be very sharp at times. would be good if they were $10

I listed all the pros and cons, but i will say this, these ARE NOT worth $20. Do yourself a favor and get the JVC Riptidz, and EQ the treble a little, and you got yourself a foldable Monster, ready to destroy everything in its path for $20, If you listen to dubstep, techo, trance, drum and bass...... don't buy these, if you maybe just want to try it, get it from a store with a good return policy, the soundstage of this headphones could have been amazing, if sony worked out the driver better... and people say its just $20 so why complain....... go try those JVCS i mentioned and then talk. i just want the best bang for buck, Sound isolation is not too bad, Cable is so heavy, it...