Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones

Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones

Rated #535 in Headphones

Pros: Lightweight, full over-ear pads, full & balanced sound, neutral, long cord

Cons: Cumbersome and awkward, long cord is too long, bass can get muddy

I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and especially not without a proper amplifier. Using them with a tube headphone amp the quality increases like crazy. Because they are studio monitor headphones, they are supposed to have very little influence on the signal themselves, and in a studio, you'll probably have at least a half-decent headphone amp. Used with an iPod, you do have to turn up the volume quite a bit to get a balanced and moderately full mix. At high volume levels, and particularly with loud bass, the sound will get very muddy and the bass is definitely not prominent in the mix. Which it shouldn't be in monitor headphones.

I realized these aren't even made or sold anymore, but I thought I would share my opinions based on what these headphones are actually meant for. Oddly enough, some headphones are meant for more than just your listening enjoyment.

Pros: Balanced -neutral sound

Cons: Not good for portable devices

I bought 2 pairs of this at Shoppers Drug mart in Canada for around $20.00 a pair.

I was immediately impressed with the sound quality and neutral balance. I have read many

reviews of people saying these lack bass. I disagree. I do not enjoy bass dominant mixes

and this is a statement made by the uneducated. Boosted sounds are created with

magic circuits and I banish those qualities from my products. I play music through

my Yamaha Natural Sound amplifier from 1980 so I value a neutral sound.

I do some rough mixing on these sometimes in the night or when I travel

and rarely have to re-do something when I check back with my monitor speakers.

These are not good for portable devices as they are large diameter non powered

drivers so they would just drain your device while trying to power them.

That should be fairly obvious though.

If you need something to tide you over to the M50s or something for bashing around

like live DJ gigs , these are a great option. Lightweight and clear sound.

Oh they may not have noise cancellation but they are not bad - they do

isolate in a nice way but due to the fact they are pretty lightweight it's a

trade off which translates to some outside sound coming in if you are in

busy environment.

Pros: Great Treble, Very Nice Clarity, Very Comfortable. Very Nice Build Quality.

Cons: Very Horrible Low End, Lacks upper midrange. Super Long Cable, (can be a pro or con), Highs can be very sharp at times. would be good if they were $10

I listed all the pros and cons, but i will say this, these ARE NOT worth $20. Do yourself a favor and get the JVC Riptidz, and EQ the treble a little, and you got yourself a foldable Monster,

ready to destroy everything in its path for $20, If you listen to dubstep, techo, trance, drum and bass...... don't buy these, if you maybe just want to try it, get it from a store with a good return policy,

the soundstage of this headphones could have been amazing, if sony worked out the driver better... and people say its just $20 so why complain....... go try those JVCS i mentioned and then talk.

i just want the best bang for buck, Sound isolation is not too bad, Cable is so heavy, it drags the headphones of my head.....lol.

if you just want to add these to your collection, by all means, do. just know THERE ARE A LOT OF HEADPHONES, that will make these go back to the abandoned factory they were made in.

Even After 20-30 hours of burn in, the treble kills my ears, it screeches as i beg for mercy. Please message me if you want more details. GO, Make the Best Of your life, by drowning your sorrows in music, If you are a true music lover, just save up for good headphones. Im going to try the ATH-M50s this week, ($113) at the moment, and if they are good, ill buy it. You will be shocked at the level of good headphones in the 20 dollar range compared to this.  God Bless Everyone, or if your athiest, May the earth bless you with supplies.

Take care Everybody.

Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones
By:

lightweight, around-the-ear design * sealed, padded earcups * 40mm drivers * frequency response: 12-22,000 Hz * weight: 6.18 oz. *

BindingElectronics
BrandSony
EAN0027242648944
FeatureFerrite magnets for good bass and treble sounds
Height3 inches
UPC027242648944
Batteries Included0
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Legal DisclaimerWarranty does not cover misuse of product.
Product Type Subcategory2300799