Budget Bass Heads, Look No Further. Non-Budget Bass Heads, Stay Far, Far Away. As Far As Possible.

A Review On: Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones

Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones

Rated # 130 in Headphones
LazBro123

Pros: Bass, Look nice, Value, Comfort.

Cons: Everything Else.

I am not a hater of this headphone, even though I am a pure bass head, but want excellent clarity and detail retrieval. These fail at anything that is not bass. Highs and mids clarity is pretty bad. It just sounds so plasticky and echoey, I cannot explain it. The overpowering bass, maybe too overpowering for my taste, takes over the entire spectrum. The soundstage is pretty dang tiny, which means that these are the WORST CHOICE for gaming. If you want a great headphone, buy the Panasonic HTF 600, which is cheaper than the Sonys by a bit, and demolish them in detail retrieval, clarity and soundstage by a mile, and can satisfy any bass lover. Bass on the Sonys are pretty muddy IMO, but for consumer bass heads (not audiophile bass heads like me), this is the best choice in the whole entire world. On a positive note, they look awesome and are extremely comfortable.

Good review, the panasonic you recommended is a good option or the Panasonic RP-DJS400-D, but i here sony stop producing these
they are extremely comfortable and purely for easy listening and low bits.... any audiophile term except for "bass heavy"do not apply to them... they are muffled but not boring...
if you want some bass heavy headphones with outrageous detail try beyerdynamics ..
@XxDobermanxX really? wow, never knew these would go out of production. Those Panasonics seem good too, have to try them. :) @turgid agreed! Was about to get DT990 PRO (I saw you have those), but ended up not buying them because of the fact that they are open. Then I heard the dt770s needed an amp. So I bought the HFI 580. Great headphone! If you want, read my review! :)