Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sony MDR-V700DJ DJ-Style Monitor Series Headphones › Sony MDR-V700DJ DJ-Style Monitor Series Headphones Reviews

Sony MDR-V700DJ DJ-Style Monitor Series Headphones Reviews

Argyris

Tight fit, loose bass, and cracked plastic: Bustin' a groove or just busting?

Pros: Non-fatiguing, stylish (if you like the look), comfortable headband

Cons: Loose bass (initially), laid back, grainy treble; forward, shouty mids, durability, comfort

Introduction   This isn't going to be my usual sort of review because just the existence of a write-up for the V700 on my usual scale is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, given the reputation these have. However, I did own not one but two pairs of them before I discovered proper hi-fi, and you could say that I technically still have two pairs of them. We'll get to that in a moment, but as a general statement the V700DJ isn't counted among the great triumphs of hi-fi. However, it was a very successful DJ headphone, and in that context its sonic signature makes some sense. I'm not exactly sure when it was first offered, but I know that in early 2012 it was discontinued. Perhaps its...
DrParmesan

Great for the first ten minutes.

Pros: decent sound, fairly flat, love the coiled cable.

Cons: Uncomfortable, they downright hurt.

The sound is nice and clear, but whether I'm listening to music for fun, or if I'm working on a project, the discomfort becomes unbearable after just a few minutes.  It is to the extent, that I'm shopping for new headphones now.  I just activated my head-fi account just today for two reasons.  (1) is to get info on new headphones, and (2) is to warn people about these headphones.  That is all.  Thanks for reading.
Morph91

MDR-V700..

Pros: Bass, Easy to drive..

Cons: Really uncomfortable, build quality is so bad..

I have had these headphones for around two years but they decided to break a few months back. I read online how unreliable they were at the time but still decided to give them a try. They are extremely bass orientated which is perfect if you listen to a huge amount of electronic music like myself, They are loud, the highs are ok but the mids are shockingly poor. They are just over 20ohm if i remember rightly, they are easy to drive. They are meant to be for DJ'in and although i used them for that purpose i also used them to listen to music. They are really uncomfortable after a little while of fully wearing them, to the point that your ears really do start to really hurt. The durability...
roksraka

Good, but only for DJs

Pros: durability, easy to drive, extremely loud, good isolation, powerful bass, shallow ear pads

Cons: everything is plastic, pleather on ear pads tore off, overwhelming bass

(excuse my english, it's not my native language)   BUILD   The headphones feel kinda cheap. Pretty much everything on them is made of plastic, and if you move them around too much they tend to make a squeaking noise. No part of them has cracked or broke after more than 3 years of use, but I heard that tends to happen. The ear pads are made from artificial leather (I think), and they were okay, but after about 3 years they started to crack, and then started tearing off really soon (but you can get replacement for cheap). The pads are very shallow, meaning that after a few hours, your ears will be aching. The clamp pressure of the headband is quite strong as well. It has...