Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones › Reviews › dantelectro's Review

Good riddance

A Review On: Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones

Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones

dantelectro
Posted · Updated · 27886 Views · 31 Comments

Pros: Good sound, affordable

Cons: Faulty design, poor quality control, cramped packaging

I've had 2 pairs from 2013 and they both had the same problems.

The moving parts of the headband make clicking and knocking noises. It's super annoying and I couldn't find a way to permanently fix the issue. It's a design oversight.

The pleather covering of the earpads flake, badly, as many reviewers have pointed this out. It started after a year on mine. Replacing them costs more than half the price of the headphones, and would have to be done every year. No thanks.

The sound is alright, but because of the above intolerable issues, they're useless to me.

Sony can never be the best at anything...they should leave the headphone scene :))
Actually if you didn't know, the cups themselves are magnesium. As for the headband, sorry man :/ doesn't happen with me. I'd have shipped it back and ordered a new pair. As for the sound, I guess YMMV. These are pretty fine for me even with violins.
As for Doberman, can't tell if you're messing or not since you yourself have a pair lol
Well anyways, if you've been into the headphone hobby for a while, you'll surely know of the qualia and r10 soonr or later :)
MrViolin, If you're in the V6 price bracket the Qualia and R10 are pretty much in a different universe.:)
However, add a pair of Velour AKG earpads, and I love My V6's, no headband or cable dramas to report here
MrViolin, i have uploaded pics to show the metal and plastic on my unit.
Hutnicks, i might have got a ****ty unit. :)
Hmm. Mine are made in China and do not seem to have any of the QC issues In your pics. I'd have been sorely tempted to return those and start off with a new pair.
I bought this on Amazon UK. According to their policy "You may return most new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.co.uk within 30 days of delivery for a full refund", and "If you received a damaged or defective item, we’ll send you a replacement of the same item."
So by my reckoning you are just over the time limit? I'd still be tempted to get customer service on the line and see if they would do an exchange. You could tell them the damage went un noticed until you looked under the pad due to the sound not being what you expected.
I still have 8 days. I've actually already started penning an email to Customer Service to see if these issues qualify as damage or defects, considering that none of the many reviews i read mentioned them. Thank you so much for your help so far!
They replied promptly. The headphone is considered defective and i can return it, they'll even refund the return postage charges.
Returned, refunded.
Outstaniding! I am surprised they refunded the postage. They must have better C/S policies in the UK than Canada. Are you going to try another pair or move on to another headphone altogether?
Amazon.co.uk only refunds the return postage if the item is damaged / defective or was delivered because of an Amazon error.
The Amazon.ca returns policy is worded differently. I would contact CS to clarify.
I'm wary of buying a V6 again, and i'm wary of trying something delicate like the Creative Aurvana Live (read about wire failures). I feel like i figured out the sound of the V6 and am ready to move on but only to something durable.
I'd mostly like a durable IEM under $150. Checked Innerfidelity's wall of fame, Head-fi's summer 2012 guide (pdf), recommendation threads. Often i hit a wall because of significant discrepancies in prices and availability between the US and UK, or frail designs.
For the price point you are hard pressed to find anything better than an IEM. The only trouble with them as you have noticed is their fragility, and that pretty much means looking at something with detachable cables. Or as i did with My Etymotics, coat the cable driver joint in an epoxy to relieve the strain. If you are looking for an interim solution and are moderately handy I would suggest picking up a set of the Phillips ear clips model is 4700 I believe, (The box mine came in have no model number) they sell for about 10 dollars here. Pop off the clips and get any kind of headband on them that will exert moderate pressure on the ears, and their sound easily rivals that of the V6 in every way except the bass thump you get from the closed earcup. Properly sealed to the ear these little wonders have an exceptional detail and enough low end response for any but the serious basshead. For the 10 bucks plus whatever it costs for a headband (I initially used a piece of 1/2 inch flat aluminum bar stock and blu tacked the drivers on, careful to not block the bass ports at the back) they are an unsung little gem completely ignored in the marketplace. And at that price if you lose them on the tube or they get squashed your not going to cry.
For the price range i conversely found that full size headphones (mostly circumaural) have the best price/performance ratio, the V6 being the prime example. The Shure SE215 has detachable cables and too many Amazon reviews say that while they sound good they fail in months.
I forgot to say i only like in-ear and circumaural headphones, for their comfort and isolation (if they're closed). Which Etymotics do you have?
I have a pair of early 90's ER4S's and i would not give them up for anything. They are actually the only ones that I have kept for that long. When you fit them out with the Comply tips they are a hard little item to beat. You can occasionally find the Shures cheap on Ebay so it might be an idea to find a pair there. If yo are committed to circumaural then the Sennheiser HD 25's are hard to beat. Although the cognicenti really lean toward Fostex T50's right now as the bargain of the century if you have the ability to mod them. I'd have to agree with that but currently am looking at the T20 as I keep hearing that they are a better phone. Both are around the 90 dollar mark over here. I would love to have a go at the Klipsch X10 i's but durability seems to be a real issue with those as well.
The Sennheiser HD25 is supra-aural. It ($200 -> £140=$210) and the T50 ($100 -> £140=$210) and T20 ($80 -> £100=$150) are overbudget, hit the wall again. EU import customs and VAT (19% in the UK) raise prices.
Ouch. You folk are still getting dinged heavily, I had thought prices had stabilized in Britain in the past decade. Do you get hit for VAT on personal purchases from overseas as well? I was going to suggest the M Audio Q40 but it is about 20 dollars more than the T50 here so more than likely well over the limit there. Have you considered any of the Asian products such as the Superlux 681 or HD330?
I don't exactly know the applicable law. When i ordered RAM from OWC - who operate in the US - i wasn't charged the US sales tax but when the FedEx plane landed in my country a FedEx rep called me that customs opened my package and charged me 27% VAT on the declared price plus even on the shipping cost (both were on the included invoice) - I knew before i ordered. Same would go for ordering some rare Sony from Japan or anywhere outside the EU. This can be a real dealbreaker on expensive stuff like a $2200 mac as it would cost me $2800+shipping or buy it in my country for the equivalent of $2900.
When I ordered from the UK, i was charged the 19% UK VAT (collected by the seller) but no customs in my country because it was a commerce inside the EU.
I didn't even know about Superlux, i'm going to read the reviews.
Strange rules abound. Here if it comes in via mail we may or may not have an inspection which results in 6 dollars + whatever duties and taxes may apply. Some items are duty exempt and some are not and it seems the customs people vary greatly in what they deem dutiable. We have a14%GST (goods and service Tax) which is much like VAT. If we have a carrier bring it in Such as Fedex or UPS we get charged a customs clearance fee which is userous sometimes 40 dollars and then they collect the tax on top of that. It really pays here to have things come via post as it invariable costs very little and the inspections on small items are fairly rare.
The Superlux are getting very decent reviews. Bang for buck they are hard to beat. I was set to pick up a pair of 681s when a deal on a pair of T20's came up. I still want to own a pair of the 681 and more than likely the 330 or 660 closed back phones. That will have to wait. Here is a link to a German Dealer http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd660.htm
Having used the V6 -being my first full-size- i found that that kind is only convenient when i'm sitting at my desk using the laptop. I watch a lot of movies in the bed or listen to music on the go, so an IEM would be universally useful for me.