Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones › Reviews › fe2cruz's Review

rugged bass heavy non-fi headphones

A Review On: Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones

Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones

fe2cruz

Pros: loud, convenient, light, collapsible, rugged/durable, sounds better without pads

Cons: too much bass, weak pads, poor stereo imaging

These make everything sound huge, loud, big & boomy. But its an artificial bass sweetening that is not right for mixing, monitoring, vocals or classical music. You can decrease the bass by removing the cheap weak foam, but it still won't be flat enough for mixing. I suppose its nice for bass players, drummers or djs that want the rhythm section of a song maximized in noisy environments for beat matching and such. All the harmonics and overtones of middle and high frequencies are lost though, making vocals and strings sound like they are compressed or cut short with a pass filter or parametric eq. You'll never hear anything with reverb or spacial stereo properly either. They are very rugged and loud but not good for proper listening.

99% sure you bought a fake.
I believe you are correct at least in that the one I own is flawed. I've done some repairs and modifications. Once I find the right pads I will re-do my review.
You want the right pads? Beyerdynamic EDT-231V.
I don't know WTF Sony did with the pads. I've had a pair for 28 years. The pads were a bit worn on the edges after ~15 years when I came across Sony replacements for $20. These lasted about two years of very little use; basically the coating of the pads disintegrated.  Based on this experience I'd say Sony changed the formula for the rubber-like coating of the pads. Also, based on the age of my MDR-V6s, I'd guess they were actually made in Japan, which probably also has something to do with how well the originals held up.