Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones Reviews

Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones Reviews

Positive Reviews

professorwiki

Great headphones

Pros: Solid construction overall, fold for portability, great sound

Cons: I can tell ear pads won't last

I reviewed the Bravo V3 amp with these headphones here , which in part ended up being a review of these headphones. I recommend reading that review as well. Here I will elaborate on how they sound outside use with the Bravo V3. Before the V3 arrived in the mail I was using the Fiio E5 to drive the headphones. I found that while they can be driven without them well enough from my laptop, they needed a boost in order to open up the soundstage and give the bass proper impact. This is likely due to them being 63 ohm headphones, meaning they take a little more power to drive well compared to common headphone impedances like 32 ohms. I did not find that I needed the FiiO when using...

Negative Reviews

fe2cruz

rugged bass heavy non-fi headphones

Pros: loud, convenient, light, collapsible, rugged/durable, sounds better without pads

Cons: too much bass, weak pads, poor stereo imaging

These make everything sound huge, loud, big & boomy. But its an artificial bass sweetening that is not right for mixing, monitoring, vocals or classical music. You can decrease the bass by removing the cheap weak foam, but it still won't be flat enough for mixing. I suppose its nice for bass players, drummers or djs that want the rhythm section of a song maximized in noisy environments for beat matching and such. All the harmonics and overtones of middle and high frequencies are lost though, making vocals and strings sound like they are compressed or cut short with a pass filter or parametric eq. You'll never hear anything with reverb or spacial stereo properly...

More Reviews

AKGQ701

Great first headphone

Pros: Versatile, comfortable, price

Cons: cable

This was my first step into higher-end audio, and I recommend it to anyone in this position as well.  Never had comfort issues (especially if the cups are replaced), and the price is very reasonable.  I had great success when listening to music such as classical to R&B.  The only issue I had with the headphone was the coiled cable, which is long and prone to becoming tangled.
dantelectro

An ambivalent experience

Pros: Good sound, Affordable

Cons: Design, Quality control, Packaging

I'm using it with a Macbook Pro and an iPod touch. I've had two V6s so far (both made in Thailand in 2012).   Packaging The headphones, the cable, and the pouch don't really fit in the box, and as a result they all show signs of stress out of the box. The pouch was folded twice to fit and got creased, the cable got small dents and the straight sections got crooked, the headband got asymmetrical, the earpads got also slightly squashed. Both units were new, purchased from different sellers, same story. The gold colored box and shiny red cloth make the false and pretentious statement that they accomodate a premium product, but it's really just money wasted on ...
SoundMan48

Awesome phones @ any price. But for $100, WOW!

Pros: Great Sound across the whole sound spectrum. So SMOOTH! Comfort and great soundstage.

Cons: Absolutely None.

I got these in the mail 2 days ago. I got a pair of Sony XB800s last week and was blown away by the sound but the soundstage and comfort weren't there. I read about the MDR V6s on this site and ordered them to compare. I was pretty sure that I'd be keeping the 800s. They sounded that good.      I plugged in the V6s expecting less. Wow they blew away the  800s except for the bass. It's not as strong in the V6s but tighter and cleaner. (The way I like it) I've been listening to my music collection all over again so I can hear all the little things that I missed before. Everything is so clear, never cluttered, and is reproduced with...
shrecks

Review MDR V6 SONY

Pros: great range, great detail, great build,comfortable,flat sound

Cons: none i can think of

These are my first pair of serious headphones if you can call it that. I am not a professional in the field , but i appreciate good detailed audio. Sony MDR V6s give u exactly that . These cans are brilliant at giving you some details that you might have never noticed with the stock headphones that most people buy out. The sound is true and very detailed . It may not be the thumpiest cans out there , but thats only because thse are studio headphones , and hence deliver flat audio. Great for appreciating how music gets produced and recorded. Very easy to tell good records using this , especially since it gives unadulterated outputs.
MrViolin

My First Circum Aural Phones

Pros: Detailed, comfortable, sexy, built like a tank, coil cord

Cons: Ear Sweat

Well, I've had these for 2 months or so, and they've served me well. Compared to my JVC's, these were crystal clear. I won't go into sound-stage and all of that, simply because I can't understand it at the moment.    These are my impressions after using them for some time, so I can't say much about burn-in. Although at first, they did sound a bit weird when switching over from my JVC's.    Highs & Mids: Ever since upgrading from my $10-20 JVC's, I was awe struck when I did some A/B testing. These were a lot clearer. The muffled voices that heard on my JVC's were crystal clear on the V6. Tracks I'd once thought were good were actually bad. It was like...
Thisten

Good Overall

Pros: cheap where i got them. Decent sound.

Cons: The top of the headphones sometimes gets heavy and hurts. Mids are piercing and sometimes too much for my ears to handle.

I had high hopes for these headphones. Heard so many good reviews and i had to get my hand on them. They're good, but not as good as i expected. Some songs sound better on some of my cheaper headphones ex: klipsch image s4's. Good thing i got them for 50 dollars at Fry's. If i bought them at retail price which was $109 at the time, i would've returned them.
burlak89

I've rediscovered my entire music collection with these

Pros: sound quality, look, build quality, collapsible, high quality plug

Cons: earpads (can be replaced), long heavy coiled cord

Let me begin by saying that this was my first foray into quality headphones. Previously, I would use crappy earphones that have been passed down or that I'd find here and there, I've never paid much attention to the quality of my music. I've tested out different ones at B&H - best place to go to if you want to actually listen to headphones before buying them. I guess J&R is the same but I haven't been there yet. And after a long search, I am so, so glad that I chose these headphones.    I'll preface by saying that these headphones require burning in. However, it's not a mechanical burn-in that I'm talking about, as I've had a set for a couple weeks, and then I...
JK1

My V6 is also 23 years old

Pros: Very neutral sound. Great build quality.

Cons: Ears get hot after a while.The only thing not built well on this headphone is the earpads. When mine gave out, I bought the Beyerdynamic velour ones.

This headphone was my first high quality one. It sounds extremely neutral with good bass that is in proportion to the other frequenciencies. The midrange and treble also sound natural. What this headphone lacks and what you get by stepping up to the Sony V900HD(aka 7509HD) is a higher level of midrange detail. For the price though, this is an excellent value, however this is not on the level of the 7509HD or CD1000.
Smiling Jack

Great cans for $65

Pros: Netural sound, Folds for portability, coiled cord, comfortable for lengthy listening sessions, cord out one side

Cons: Coil heavy for on-the-go usage, exposed wiring subjected to accidental fray/tear, earpads flake easily

One of the best investments I've ever made.   I picked these up in B&H New York to replace my previous set, Sony MDR V150.   It's been six months since then, I can safely say that these headphones won't be leaving me anytime soon. The sound quality is neutral, as expected from Studio Monitors. The build quality is sturdy, with a thick coil for durability. Although purely subjective, I found that burning these headphones in changed the sound signature dramatically in comparison to their coming out of the box sound.   Pick these up, whether you're for a new set of cans, or if you just want a backup pair.
kenellenberg2

Great starters

One of the better ways to get addicted to the audiophile community cheaply. Neutral and beautiful. A bit hard to power with an mp3 player, but if you are using an Ipod to start with, you probably don't care about clarity. Build quality to last, I mean they have been around forever.