Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones › Reviews › furyinternal's Review

Clean, punchy bass, excellent mids and decent highs.

A Review On: Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones

Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones

furyinternal

Pros: Sound quality, style, portability.

Cons: Plastic construction, tight head band, ear pads.

I bought these the first time I came across them at Best Buy. I paid too much for them, but that's neither here nor there considering I was returning a similar pair of headphones that I disliked.

The packaging was that plastic vacuum pack junk that you have to hack at four times as long as you ever want to just to get inside, and it didn't include any kind of carrying wallet or accessories of any kind. Not that headphones need a menagerie of goodies, but with the overall lack of comfort these provide, a definite bonus would have been for them to be designed with interchangeable ear pads of varying degrees. Much like the different sized ear buds that are included with IEM's.

I was surprised by the clarity these headphones provided for different types of music. I listen to pretty much anything from country to classical, and blues to pop, with even some electronic stuff thrown in for good measure. So, for the headphones to be able to handle them all (and fairly decently), I was pleasantly surprised. The highs were crisp enough, mids meaty enough, and lows punchy enough for me to not find myself wanting more sound wise.

Aside from my mention (and other reviewers notes) of the general discomfort experienced from these, I'd say my only other gripe would be about the "creaking" these constantly make whenever they're put on, moved, or adjusted. It isn't a deal breaker, but it might turn some people off.

I've owned them for nearly a year and haven't found anything they can't handle from my laptop or portable devices. If you can find them on the cheap, pull the trigger.

Comments: