Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones Reviews

Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones Reviews

xkonfuzed

Great sound with excellent soundstage

Pros: Huge soundstage, laid back sound, awesome imaging, detailed without being fatiguing, comfortable, excellent with gaming.

Cons: Thin cable, flimsy build quality, sub bass rolls off, not very good with EDM (or very bass-heavy genres).

Full review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/686083/sony-mdr-ma900-full-review-comparison-with-dt880
DrikTheTroll

Comfortable with a very wide soundstage

Pros: Soundstage, natural slightly warm mids

Cons: Bass is there but not particularly engaging

Without a doubt, the MA900s have the widest soundstage that I have ever personally experienced. To provide some context, I don't think my personal soundstage processing is particularly sensitive at all (actually I would characterize it as bad). In many instances, I can't discern the difference between headphones that many others notice significant differences between.   When I 1st put the MA900s on however, it was an eye opening experience for me - the soundstage was wiiiiiiide - immediately and easily discernable.   Comfort is very good - better than anything I have owned with the exception of Koss PortaPros (very light, low-pressure on-ears).   Highs are bit...
colgatetotal

Remarkably average

Pros: Super comfortable, smooth treble

Cons: Veiled midrange, weak bass, limited availability

70mm drivers, fully open design, premium materials, and simply the best comfort of any headphone at any price. The MA900 has many things going for it. The sound signature is a little laid back, but ever polite. One would think that a 70mm driver could provide a hearty slam. This isn't the case -- sub-bass is almost nonexistent, and midbass is inferior to that of a Grado. Decay is slow on the MA900, so the midbass isn't super-crisp. Treble, on the other hand, is quite smooth on this headphone. It's not a bright headphone, so even the shrillest of instruments, such the piccolo, won't pierce your ears.   The big problem, however, is the midrange. It's...
Gu Sensei

Excellent Price/Performance Value

Pros: superb soundstage, excellent clarity, light, comfortable

Cons: flimsy feeling build quality

I have been using the MA900s since they came out. I like them a lot and think they are an excellent value. I use them at my office where I need cans with minimal isolation in order to hear door knocks. I have cycled through a lot of different headphones for this role and until the MA900s, had settled on the F1s. I really like the F1s but feel the MA900s are a notch superior in terms of sound quality. They just sound cleaner- better focus and clarity. More present bass. The soundstage is excellent but I slightly prefer the F1s for that.   I find the F1s to be more comfortable as well (they would get my vote for most comfortable cans ever). The pads and headband material feel...