Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Sony MDR EX1000

Sony MDR EX1000

Pros: Fast Bass, Nice Mids, A Lot Of Accessories, Build Quality, Detachable Cable

Cons: Isolation, Bright Treble

First of all, I’d like to thank Mach3 (Peter) for generously lending me his Sony EX1000s. I am not affiliated nor against Sony in any way.

Introduction
Sony needs no introduction to the audio world and I’m sure that a lot of you would have heard Sony EX1000 as Sony’s previous flagship IEM. The Sony EX IEM line has been replaced with the newer XBA line, which many, including me believe is inferior to the EX line. The new Sony flagship, the XBA-4 has a dark sound signature while the EX1000 has a bright sound. This is now discontinued I believe, but they can still be bought.

Sorry for the bad photo quality

Testing Gear & Accessories
All testing was made via my HDP-R10 and Sansa Clip+ with a Fiio E6. First of all, these are not very source dependant. They sounded great right out of a Sansa Clip+, but when hooked up to a Fiio E6 amp, the soundstage grew and separation improved a bit. However, when I used it on my HDP-R10, I was truly impressed for the first time. The soundstage became much bigger and the separation and detail increased quite a lot. Also worth mentioning is that the sound became a lot cleaner and less grainy, hugely improving my listening experience.
I was given the box it came in and there was a very nice looking leather case which looked great but I am less sure of the actual usefulness of it. It also came with a full set of Sony hybrid tips which should fit everyone. There were some manuals and that was it. Rather good, but I just wished the case offered more protection like a Pelican or a UE metal case. There was no IEM cleaner, but there is some material stopping stuff from getting in, so I don’t mind it so much.

Isolation, Design & Cable
Since this is a vented dynamic driver IEM, it isolates extremely poorly, being the least isolating IEM that I have ever heard. Just to give you an idea, the isolation level is even less that the Sennheiser IE8 or IE80s. Also, as you may have read elsewhere, these are quite susceptible to wind noise.
The design is not bad, but they do stick out quite a bit and if you go outside with them, they might attract quite some unwanted attention. While I think that they look quite cool, it stops being cool when people start thinking that they might be hearing aids. The build quality is superb and although I won’t spend a long time with them, I know that they will last a long time.
I am actually quite undecided as to whether I like this cable. While it is very supple and easy to use, the strain relief on the jack is quite loose and the cable is thin and I keep on thinking that it may break after a while of normal use. The ear guides are very comfortable, but the memory function is terrible and it is very hard to mould them to the shape of your ear.

Sound Quality
This is the reason why most people buy IEMs, for their sound. After writing all that, we are finally at the sound section. I will be breaking this part into a few sections like in my previous reviews and as you will soon see, I am still unsure as to whether I like it or not but if you are a basshead or looking for a neutral IEM, this is not it.

Bass
Being a dynamic driver, I was expecting quite a lot of bass despite the reviews that I had read. While the bass is very nice, these do not nearly have as much bass as a typical dynamic driver IEM; it actually reminded me of a greatly improved TWFK driver. While this does not have much impact, the quality is exceptional and it does reach far down and has some rumble.  It really does have great control, better than most BA IEMs that I have heard, but I find myself longing for a harder impact. Now that the quantity part is over, let’s get to the quality. All I can say is that it is great! The details are easily made out and is very fast, not having any bloat whatsoever on any songs that I threw at it. The bass was exceptional, being punchy, fast and full of detail but lacked impact IMO. However, some people will prefer the less bassy sound of the EX1000 compared to other IEMs.

Midrange
The mids are absolutely wonderful IMO of course. They are a bit on the thin side and female vocals sound realistic and very lifelike. They are very textured and I feel like I can hear the singer more clearly compared to the similarly priced Westone 4 for example. When I first heard them, the mids were shrill and overly thin, but after ten minutes of listening, my ears adapted and they sounded absolutely awesome. OK, now to male vocals, where things start to get a bit dodgy. They sound a bit thin and much less realistic than female vocals. They are, however, still extremely enjoyable and there are still tons of detail. There was a bit of sibilance, but it isn’t annoying to me. Vocal separation was simply astonishing. I didn’t expect them to be so good, being the best that I’ve heard other than the UM Miracle, Rhapsodio RDB v1 and the AKG K3003, all of which are more expensive. They certainly pass with flying colours in the mids even though male vocals did not sound as convincing as they could be. The other aspects more than made up for it.

Treble
This is the section that I am still almost completely undecided on.  The treble has a boost and has extra sparkle, a tiny bit similar to TWFK based drivers, but much less sibilant but I do feel like for me personally it is too much and it makes everything sound overly sharp. I do find that sometimes cymbals linger a bit too long and dominate in parts of music where it isn’t supposed to. Sure, I do like a slightly brighter that neutral treble, but this is just too much for me, but not by much. It is still enjoyable. The detail in the treble however, is great and you can hear the cymbals crashing very clearly and it is packed with detail. It extends very high and you don’t feel like you are missing anything at all. The treble problem is mainly with just the cymbals and other instruments such as the trumpet are rendered realistically, without an excessive treble boost. Once again, I feel like the treble is a bit too exaggerated but I’m sure that there are others who feel differently.

Presentation
The presentation of the EX1000 is something that I really enjoyed. The soundstage is extremely large and I really can picture a stage in front of me, with the performers not too close and in your face nor too far.

Accuracy
I personally perceive accuracy as how similar it sounds to a live presentation and I’m glad to say that the Sony EX1000 has done well. It has a treble boost as mentioned above and I do find that as a result of that, it colours the sounds, but for the better or worse is for you to decide depending on what your preferences are. It does still sound realistic but it is not for someone looking for a neutral IEM.

Imaging and Soundstage
As mentioned above, the soundstage is very good for an IEM, one of the largest soundstages that I have heard in an IEM, up to the level of the Sennheiser IE8 if I remember correctly. This is the first IEM that I have ever heard that I think might beat the IE8.
The imaging is certainly one of its strong points and you can easily point out where everything is, but I have heard better imaging from some IEMs, but not by much.

Instrument Separation
This is the part that I was shocked the most – in a good way thankfully. It performed well out of it’s price range and did well on whatever track I threw at it. I don’t own the Westone 4, but from when I heard it a while ago, the separation on this is significantly better if I remember correctly. On congested tracks, it never gets too hard to tell each instrument from the other.

Details
This does have a lot of tiny details, but if you listen to a TOTL IEM, you will realise that these are still missing the minute microdetails. I am not surprised however, with these costing less than half of most TOTL IEMs. This does make it more forgiving of badly mastered tracks which can be both interpreted as good and bad. I’ll let you be the judge of that.

Summary
Audio is really about your sound signature, what type of sound you like. For example, while I found the highs of these a bit shrill, you might find them just right. I would recommend that you try them before you buy them. After a few hours of listening to music, my ears have grown accustomed to the bright sound. I do believe that Sony has produced a world class IEM and priced it correctly, making it good value for money. I would recommend these to people who like a brighter sound signature and don’t mind the low level of isolation.

Pros: Sound Quality, construction

Cons: May be too vivid for some

When it comes to portable audio, it just doesn't get much more portable than an IEM and a Ipod/Zune/Sansa etc. Even tethered to one of the small battery-powered headphone amps, we are talking about something that fits in a coat pocket. And if, like me, you commute 2 - 3 hours a day, anything that amuses during this "dead time" is a good thing.

Recent years have seen an explosion of new IEM's upping the ante in sound quality (and price). So I bought a representitive sampling of units to see just what level of quality is attainable. The first round was between Westone 3, ER-4P and a Shure unit (whose number I forget). The Shure won this battle, but I wasn't really thrilled with any of them. Then the Shure broke...

So round two pitted the IE-8, CK-10 and eQ-7. I just couldn't get past the IE-8 quite ample mid bass and found the CK-10 good sounding but fiddly to use, so the eQ-7 became the phone of choice. It was good, but uninspiring. Still, a solid all-around performer. Then in a moment of insanity, I bought a pair of Final Audio 1601 SS. The FAD's threw everything into confusion. They were decidedly not uncolored with a subdued but expressive bass and a tres bumpy treble. But they showed the others the door dynamically, in terms of sound field and detail and in that hard to define sense of overall musical presentation. With all their flaws, they expressed the music in a way that made the rest sound so-so.

My thumbnail, unscientific, analysis was that there are certain things that tend to elude non-dynamic driver IEM's (except possibly the expensive and exotic units that employ large numbers of BA elements, which I have not heard). Being an audiophile, the FAD's areas of weaknesses still bugged me. The announcement of new FAD models was tempered by their employing BA drivers, but I had to give it a go. A pair of FI-BA-SB were ordered and actually did a decent job of bridging the gap with better dynamics and solidity than the other BA units, but a less idiosyncratic balance than the 1601's. Certainly a successful design, all things continued.

But hearing about the Sony EX-1000 with their large dynamic driver proved to be a temptation too strong to resist. Am I glad I didn't! The EX-1000 are not cheap, but they are still about 1/2 the price of the popular multiple BA customs, so not out of the question. They come nicely packed with a comprehensive assortment of tips, a shorter replacement cable and a nice leather carrying case. The magnesium driver housing is light but appears sturdy. There is a general sense of high quality and technology here with their 16mm drivers employing Neodymium magnets and Liquid Crystal Polymer Film diaphragms and their oxygen-free copper cables. I found them to be comfortable with the supplied ear-buds and easy to route for over ear cable routing. None of which assures the EX-1000 sonic worth, of course.

The first listening impression is of a vivid, clean sound. The bass, while not as strong as devoted "bass heads" may prefer, is noteworthy for it's sophistication and subjective lack of distortion. Treble is extended and generally smooth with an electrostatic-like clarity. Certainly it's not forgiving of bad recordings, but on the other hand, it doesn't invite bad recordings to sound worse than they are through uncontrolled treble resonances. The midrange is really excellent. Clean, yet lively and faithful to the unique texture and color of the individual instruments. The low level of self-noise and intermodulation products allows full detail to be available without being forcefully thrust at the listener. You can really hear this as Howard Hanson takes you through the instrumentation of his composition "Merry Mount" (The Composer and His Orchestra, Mercury). The extremes of dynamics here are also tracked quite well without much in the way of compression or information loss as things get busy. All this allows the impact and excitement of this music to come through to the listener.

Beethoven's Egmont Overture with Rene Leibowitz and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on an excellent Chesky release (originally a Kenneth Wilkenson recording) comes through both in it's quiet moments and it's riotous ending with it's natural timbres (mostly) intact. The sound-field is excellent for an IEM, second only to the aforementioned FAD 1610's. The news is also good with popular music. Lennon's "Strawberry Fields Forever" tricks and multitracks are there to be heard without fracturing the musical whole. Procol Harum's atmospheric "A Salty Dog" is very well served here as well. The percussive new age-y sound of Conrad Praetzel's "EnTrance" is evocative and enticing. For something a bit more hard edged, the vocal and guitar pyrotechnics of Iggy and the Stooges' "Funhouse" inspire excited air play-along (guitar, drum or vocal as you prefer), just as you would hope. Uh-huh!

Obviously, I like the EX-1000 (you think?). They are the best overall IEM's I have owned or heard (remember, I have no experience with the custom multi-BA units. Someday...) and aren't disgraced by the Sennheiser HD-800 or Sony CD-3000 (though they can't do some of the sound-field tricks of the large headphones). Few IEM's survive the comparison to good full-sized 'phones as well.

I used my Sansa Fuze, my Zune/iBasso combo and my home system with Dark Voice tube amp all to good effect. The better the signal fed, the better the results, but the EX-1000/Sansa Fuse system was very worthy for it's small size and the Sansa's cost effectiveness.

Now, if you are a confirmed bass-head or find any sense of sibilance anathema, these may not be the phones for you. But for me, while they are certainly not perfect (the treble could be smoother yet and the sound-field even more expansive, etc.) they are as good as I know in the here (hear?) and now in the non-custom multi-BA class. And I still think there is something to be said for large dynamic IEM drivers...

Kevin

Pros: tight bass and very detailed, excellent midrange clarity, highs clear and crystalline in presentation. excellent quality build.

Cons: that crystalline high presentation can be a little tiresome at higher volumes. getting great fit takes time.

have had these aswell as other high end IEM's and these are truely excellent however not my personal fav's.

these IEM's produce a wonderful full airy sound, among the clearest sound i have heard there is no such thing as veil with these the presentation is top quality and they were clearly designed to sound ''high definition'' to the average consumer, what does stick out tho is the sharp high presentation with anything but the highest quality recordings and at higher volume is van take away a little from the sound.

bass is excellent and you can tell immediately the driver is tight and strong designed to give a tighter sound and nothing about the sound is flabby at all. when driven by a good quality strong source these phones shine down low, its very strong with no noticeable distortion at any volume clearly anchoring that tight presentation down.

the midrange again is excellent with very very airy presentation, very spacious and with very little ''noise'', its a black, clean and clear midrange that due to the swaying towards a sharp presentation comes through very well, had these been more bass orientated the clarity of mids may have suffered.

overall i cant give these anything less than 5 stars because they are simply an excellent set of headphones, durable, sound quality that makes you proud of the achievement sony has made here. as i said at the beginning of the review these are not my fav universals, i prefer shures se 535, just a tad nicer sound to me.

Pros: Comfortable design, fantastic build quality, beautiful and emotive sound

Cons: No Isolation and wind noise issues restrict portable use, rawness and grain to the treble

Along with the summary below, I have a review thread comparing the Sony EX1000, 7550, XBA-4 and XBA-40 here:

I also have a comparison review on youtube of the EX1000 vs the 7550. If you like the video check out my channel for more reviews :)

Note: In the review I state that the EX1000 is made in Thailand, this is incorrect. It is made in Japan.

Summary

BUILD

The EX1000's have incredible build quality and feel like jewellery in your hand thanks to the premium magnesium alloy bodies. The unusual ear hanger design is very comfortable but offers very little environmental isolation and cause a great deal of wind noise, making these somewhat awkwardly positioned as a portable earphone with restricted portable applications.

SOUND

The EX1000 has a beautiful, emotive and slightly dry sound with deeply extended bass and articulate mids. They also have a tremendously wide sound-stage thanks to the unusual design and low isolation. They have peaks in the treble which make female vocals sound magical, but on modern studio recordings they can sound harsh and grainy at times. They do best with classical or mellow acoustic music in my experience.

OVERALL

The EX1000 is unmistakably a flagship earphone for Sony, but has a number of quirks. If you are looking for a flagship dynamic driver this is definitely one of the best options, though personally I prefer the 7550 for a wider variety of music.

Pros: Super open sounding, Beautifully relaxed, Sony “house sound” nostalgia.

Cons: Its rather expensive, highs have a jumpy spike in them, isolate meh.

Sony MDR-EX1000 Quick Review

(Thread here, http://www.head-fi.org/t/656811/sony-mdr-ex100-quick-review )

Thanks to SwimSonny for the loan.

Brief:  Sony shows what it can do when its wants to.

Price: Circa £400

Specification:  Driver Unit 16mm, Dome type (CCAW adopted), Sensitivity 108dB/mW, Power Handling Capacity 200mW, Impedance 32ohms at 1kHz, Frequency Response 3-30,000Hz, Magnet Neodymium, Cord 7N-OFC litz cord adopted Y-type / Detachable Cord Length 1.2m / 0.6m, Plug L-shaped stereo mini plug (Gold) (1.2m cord) / Stereo mini plug (Gold) (0.6m cord), Weight (Without Cord)           Approx. 8g

Accessories:  Hybrid silicone rubber earbuds (SSx2, Sx2, MSx2, Mx2, MLx2, Lx2, LLx2), Noise isolation earbuds (Sx2, Mx2, Lx2), Carrying case, 1.2m cord / 0.6m cord, Operating Instructions.  You get more tips than you’ll know what to do with and the case, while lovely it’s not something to go in your pocket.

Isolation:  A bit meh, they don’t isolate well at all.  They are rather open then they sound it too so if you want something for blocking out noise these aren’t it.  It’s barely passable for blocking out traffic noise and I wouldn’t bother with these for the Tube or a flight.

Comfort/Fit:  Well these are a bit odd.  Firstly they are massive, secondly they are a really weird shape.  I had no bother with them but they sat so loosely on my ear they never seemed secure, not that they fell out or moved.  Comfort was rather good, they weigh nothing and were very gentle on the ear.

Aesthetics:  They make a visual statement.  I can’t say I like that statement as they are massive, noticeable and they say I sure as hell am no freebie included set of buds.

Sound:  So I’d seen lots of good things about these then they vanished from the radar.  Sony is a massive company that essentially has the potential to outspend every headphone maker and are probably the best known consumer electronics brand in the world.  They aren’t known however for rocking the earphone world, the old EX700 was regarded as good but a pain to use and never really stood out.  The EX1000 is rather more expensive and there is a lot more competition now.  Sony has come out with something really nice though.  I still don’t love its shape and its sound quality isn’t earth shattering.  You know that price tag is very high and I don’t think it quite commands it but acoustically Sony isn’t disappointing.  The on paper low end claims 3Hz which is ungodly low.  Likewise the highs on paper go well beyond human hearing so it should have no trouble with either.  The low end though with that massive driver I expected more volume.  Its very well behaved, smooth and a touch relaxed bass.  It’s one of those beguiling basses that are so reserved and polite until you demand more and it comes to life but still seems so laid back.  It is pretty fast yet has this relaxed gentility to it in the very Sony way.  It never seems hurried or stressed.  It’s a quite a beautiful presentation.  Mids too have this every no nonchalant air to them.  Sooooooo relaxed, so airy, so effortlessly offered up.  “Painters Song” feels so softly, clearly, openly and languidly presented.  It feels intimate but it’s not up close and personal.  In something’s this is super lovely but it seems incapable of bringing those vocal up and in your face like something’s need.  The highs, they do extend well but they in the lower high end have a bit of a spike.  They do have a habit of being peaky and randomly leaping out at you (the EX700 did this too as have many other Sony’s) the detail otherwise is rather good if not the most explicit.  This isn’t an analytical IEM, it’s about being beautiful.  This spike detracts from that beauty but these are still very nice.  The sound stage is rather big, above all they are a tremendous ability to sound distant and ever so open.

The balance on them is fairly natural with a bit of an emphasis on the highish spike that can jump out and turn to sibilance.  Also I can’t help but feel these should have more bass, that driver is more than capable but I feel Sony steered away from big bass due to the recent trend of ridiculous bass levels in others.

N.B.  It all works stupendously nicely with acoustic tracks.

Value:  Hmm these are a prestige product and you pay for that Sony name and a fair premium. Still many of us grew up with the Sony “house sound” as they essentially owned the 80’s for consumer audio.  This is that same sound but with rather impressive clarity.

Pro’s:  Super open sounding, Beautifully relaxed, Sony “house sound” nostalgia.

Con’s:  Its rather expensive, highs have a jumpy spike in them, isolate meh.

Pros: Deep impactful bass, Soundstage

Cons: Bright treble

Got my EXK couple of days back fresh from Japan :) Late to the party but what the heck~ Wanted a pair of dynamic IEMs to complement my TF10s while waiting for K3003 to cool off a little on the price hehe.. (would definitely help if they came out with a version with removable cables too!)

Out of the box virgin listen was kinda disappointing. Sibilance is really pretty bad... not just on female vocals but also on some male vocals as well. Crossed my fingers and started burning em in on white noise over 30 hours with volume set to 2 notches above my usual listening volume.

Happy to say that miraculously I haven't been detecting much sibilance hence. Some peaks still exist, but hardly as bad as that first listen. Enjoying the bass difference in dynamics... almost as deep and tight as headphones like my Ed 8, definitely alot more natural sounding drums than BA phones.

Ergonomics wise.. the included eartips didn't work out for my oily ears... kept popping out. So I got myself some Comply TX-200s (T-400 from my TF10 works too) with ear wax guards, to prevent any ear wax from clogging up the filter that the EXK strangely has exposed. Might have helped damp the treble spikes a tad too. After having survived with the TF10 for so long, I'm kinda of an expert in stuffing in strange objects in my ear, so the EXKs were easy to go in. Tilting the earphones to the front some helps relieve the pain that it causes when upright too. Personally I don't find isolation an issue once the music's playing... can't understand why it's such an issue on so many forums >..<

My EXK came with the RK-EX1000 cables... with hollow tubings that don't inspire too much confidence. I wouldn't want to try stretching the cables by accident... Otherwise they seem to do the job well, and do not get tangled up unlike my TF10's Null Audio Lune cables.

Hope to see even more improvements with the Fostex HP-P1!

*Update*

With about 150hrs clocked on it, I'm finding myself nodding my head and tapping my feet everytime I put these on with the HP-P1 :) Still some slight sibilance, but not overbearing and does not spoil the musicality. Thankfully there isn't any issues with Jamie Cullum, Diana Krall or Norah Jones! I've replaced my Ultrasone Ed8 with these babies for my portable setup~

Pros: amazing soundstage, homogeneity

Cons: nothing to complain

To make it short:

Get one if you find them, the EX1000 are Sonys best inears, maybe for a longer time.

Use a fitting player that can handle the impedance, and you get breathtaking results.

One of the very best soundstages I ever heard, no BA comes close to it.

Frequency response ist good, highs can be sometimes 'special', but it is not a big deal. IMHO it's more problematic if the player is sensible to the slight impedance peak around 5 kHz. Try it out. Also try different eartips ... but you know, for sure.

Some people say, the EX1000 is close to $ 1k customized BAs, and so I do!

It's a real bargain now, and a shame, that Sony discontinued it.

Pros: Extremely detailed, High pass emphasized, Flat but detailed Mids , controlled low end, comfortable(IMO), sleek design,dynamic drivers

Cons: power hungry, Lack of impact and power from bass, not as airy as one would expect(in comparison to over the ear cans), despises low quality recordings

I find this to be an extremely detailed pair of IEM, these being my first and only pro IEMs i find myself comparing these to my Beyerdynamics, Although it's hard to find similarities between the variants but i seem to notice the level of detail these offer are far more impressive, which is not always a good thing. In some cases almost to much detail because these let you notice the slightest mistakes in audio recordings, they scrutinize everything like a oscilloscope. To me this is only a problem because its ported directly into your ear without letting any sounds resonate away from the ear or diffuse like it would with over the ear Cans which makes them sound more atmospheric and hot,while these are neutral, only playing what the composer truly made, not what they attempted to make or tried to emphasize.

Treble - These seem to pronounce treble most, it can be extremely sharp sometime, but i find this mostly happens on poor quality songs, even medium quality songs have a hard time being smooth, the sound from anywhere from as low as 1khz and higher seems to produce more impact on the ear than the low end, even at low volumes it penetrates your ear drum. It always seems to peak in the sweet spot without going passed that and making you cringe, and if it does its probably because your volume is to high.But because of the following topics, there are reasons why your volume might be to high.

Mids- The mids are what i consider a proper flat resonance, this to me is a good thing. It is always at the forefront of the song. This feature gives you a good understanding of how sounds are recorded live or digitally because all sounds resonate from this neutral area(around 1khs-10khz).i feel that this function leads me to believe these to be perfect for examining all types of recordings. Say for example you are trying to get a feel of how a microphones sounds in any situation you usually try to pay attention of how well it resonates from the mids of a frequency pattern, on vocals you register how a persons voices sounds from the middle of the approach and where the sounds starts to peak, and with the characteristics of these you can get a good understanding of where the power really comes in because the sounds never falls off it just resonates on until the very last resonance point.

Bass- The bass can clearly be heard,but the power is not there to fill what is being emphasized,now i'm speaking from my situation and i say this lack of power comes from the heavy dampening within, and the lack of power i'm driving to it. I have only really used these on my Nuforce HDP or lower powered devices so i can say i'm not powering these to there potential, but either way i don't think these are the best choice for bass heavy songs, or songs that put emphasizes on low artificial bass. The best bass comes from live recorded bass and kick drum variants, digital bass like 808 line or heavy dub just doesn't have that much feel, instead it just teases you with the idea of what the bass should FEEL like, i should mention heavy bass should be felt not necessarily "heard". As i said before these are very detailed and the bass can absolutely be heard, the bass is always clean and that may be the problem, most of the time the heavy bass lines lead to distortion on drivers trying to heavily emphasize the bass,and sometimes the distortion isn't to noticeable but leads you to believe that the bass line really is that hard. Even when these are driven hard the bass never distorts or starts clipping, it just sounds really loud, extremely controlled and detailed, but never heavy and as impactful' as it teases to be.

Isolation/Dampening/Distortion>>concentration -
Most IEMs are known for isolation , well these don't fit in that category. These work like most open back/vented headphones, they require a quiet setting for you to truly capture the details and feel comfortable while listening to it at correct volume level. I find myself turning up the volume way higher than it needs to be just to concentrate on the sounds i'm looking for. As i listen to very technical sounds and music i really have a hard time focusing on the recording as i get slightly distracted by sounds and vibrations around me fairly easy. But when I'm in a nice and quiet area, these things start to take you to the level it was meant to take you to. Only external source of noise i want to here(i should say feel) is the added rumble from my external subwoofers adding to the overall sound stage.

As stated these come with 10 different sets of ear tips, 3 of which are labeled "noise isolation". I think this is a little misleading as some people might think this is meant to really stop noise from getting in,wrong. What i have come to realize is that these actually work as absorbing vibrations and movement of the actually drivers themselves. They keep them from shaking or moving around in your ears to much when you make fast movement or your cords shakes to much.Also another thing that might lead to the dampening of bass is the thick padding within the port(it is clearly visible). This probably serves as a dust filter as well as dampening of any harsh distortion. I BELIEVE if you were to pull out this padding you might get a greater bass punch, BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND this as it serves as a dust and dirt filter, and you wont be able to put in back in easily if you find you don't like them out.One thing i should complain about is that the wrap that goes over the ear could have been a little more thicker, the wire dangles freely a little to much. But back to the Ear buds themselves.
I've noticed after testing almost all of them, that they all have the potential of staying in your ear, but the ones smaller than your ear canals tend to present the smoothest sounds, very relaxed and not much impact and somewhat muddy,this doesn't always make the recording sound good, but are less fatiguing over longer stents and high volumes. The ones that fit tighter in your ears, be it the right size or to big tend to have the most detail, tighter response and have more impact in both the lows and highs.The bigger and tighter ones tend to cause some pressure in and around the ears and can be more fatiguing for longer stents.  I Recommend trying each one for about 10 minutes and see which one feels the best for longest amount of time. To me the isolation variants tend to give me the longest endurance. I have also experimented using different sized on each ear(a green on the left/ a orange on the right,etc) since each ear canal aren't exactly the same size this is a good experiment to perform.

Conclusion>
So i came up with a solution that seems to work best for these drivers. like most of my setups,i split the high pass and low pass. headphones being on high pass and the low pass sent to a subwoofer or second driver set up.
With this set up the sound stage is amazing, it more than rivals full sized cans, It surpasses those that are meant to be technical(studio headphones), these are the most technical headphones I've heard to date. These drivers have so much clarity and control of the high end, and with the addition to the external bass to fill in the rest of the song its a great combination. This set up can surely be a end game solution for those wanting the ultimate experience. They are ideal for studio recording and movie editing,watching. With video games i have trouble using these for racing game simply because they scrutinize the digital sound. With shooting,action games i.e GTA, BTF3 these are killer. I may be imagining it but i seem way more focused while in multi-player or on missions, the sounds are alot more subjective(someone creeping on you or close call gunshots),the last BTF3 server i was in i was 50-18 K/D before i retired from such massacre. -_- yes that not my normal K/D with my Beyerdynamics.

Pros: Very forward and liquid mids, wonderful quality and quantity of treble(special, one of the best detailed and airy iem(special), solid bass, good build

Cons: slightly lack of low mids and mid-bass, bass could be more detailed&faster, uncomfortable to wear,cacophonous for some,too emphasis on high-mids

.....

Sony MDR EX1000
By:

Sony's newest flagship style. The flexible ear hangers and vertical in-the-ear tapering keep the earbuds in place providing a secure and comfortable fit. This high spec model embodies Sony' s cutting edge technologies in music reproduction to provide a truly pure audio experience. The next generation of EX-700! With Closed Dynamic 16mm drive units, removable cable and sets of earbuds!

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Sony MDR EX1000