Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Earbuds › Sony MDR-E818LP Fontopia Ear-Bud Headphones with Acoustic Twin Turbo Circuit

Sony MDR-E818LP Fontopia Ear-Bud Headphones with Acoustic Twin Turbo Circuit

Rated #1 in Earbuds

Pros: Sound quality, bass, portability, durability.

Cons: No cons other than there are better options.

These are quite common in retail stores in my city (Toronto) and cost around $15-$20 CAD. I've been using them for years, because they are inexpensive, sound decent and are portable. They don't sound too distorted at high levels. I never had mines break, never had audio jack or audio cut out problems, but then again it really depends on the user, because I am very careful with my belongings.

Overall, these are great as replacement earbuds; a great inexpensive earbud for every day use instead of stock ones. Of course, there are better ones, but these are great for this price range.

Pros: Sound quality, durability, price

Cons: Isolation

These headphones are great. If they fit, they cannot be beaten at the price. Unfortunately, I can't even keep earbuds in my ears, much less have them isolate.

If you need replacement earbuds, this is the right choice.

Pros: Fine bass, clear mids, cheap.

Cons: Feels cheap, doesn't beat 100$ headphones.

These ear-buds were just lying around my sisters house, no idea whose these are but they are kinda pretty good. They are quite sensitive 108dB/1 mW, and I don't have to turn the volume more than 20% in windows volume to get enough pressure for all needs.

Sound quality in short: They are not comparable at all with the standard apple ear-buds in terms of sound quality. That much better they are.

Build quality: I can't hear much microphonics with the cable. The headphones feel and look cheap. They are not comfortable, at least for me in the long run. 1 hours is pretty much max I can wear them, and I have to take them off.

Bass: The bass is quite strong for an ear-bud, but not overpowered. It rolls of quickly at 60hz, but still manages to bring enough rumble for even most electronic music. Definitely not for bassheads, those people who look for integrated ear massage.

Mids: The mids sound somewhat colored (they sound slightly plasticky), but they are very dynamic and resolving which was huge surprise. I wonder if the plasticness could be modified away with some cup damping?

Highs: Don't have any cans to compare to, but they are not overly bright, nor dark. Sounds quite flat and extended to me. Not sibilant.

Instrument separation/soundstage: They have quite good soundstage, and instrument separation is good. Not challenging 200$ IEM's here, but they can give quite a challenge to some 100$ IEM's for sure in this department.

Verdict:

These cannot satisfy the needs for an audiophile or basshead, but for average listener these provide a very good sound quality especially for the price.

I picked these up for $4 on amazon I wasn't expecting anything good really but wow was I wrong. They have great lows along with a really clear sound I would pay $40 for them.

Strongly recommended.

I have had these earphones for quite a while now and they still work perfect like new. They offer a great bass sound that doesn't distort highs/mids with very balanced sound, clarity and a wide soundstage.

Pros: Bass, clarity, rich and dynamic sound

Cons: None

The bass on these is amazing and can rival low end in ears. It doesn't drown out the other parts of the sound because it actually sounds like there is a separate layer of bass on the music. The clarity is good and the sound is rich and dynamic for earbuds, especially for its price. I have tested these against earbuds in the same price range (Panasonic RP-HV152, Sony MDR-E10LP, Philips SHE2640) and these outperform them in every single aspect in terms of sound quality. These are portable, comfortable, and inexpensive as are most earbuds in general. Great earbuds from Sony!

Sony MDR-E818LP Fontopia Ear-Bud Headphones with Acoustic Twin Turbo Circuit
By:

High Quality 16mm Driver Units / Neodymium Magnets for Powerful Bass and Clear Treble Sound / Comfortable In-Ear Design

BindingElectronics
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameHEADPHONES
PublisherSony
StudioSony
TitleSony MDR-E818LP Fontopia Ear-Bud Headphones with Acoustic Twin Turbo Circuit
UPC027242570535
Batteries Included0
FormatCD
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Legal DisclaimerWe do not in any way represent that any part we sell is legal to possess in your jurisdiction. Check with you local authorities to ensure it is legal for you to possess before buying!
Operating SystemN/A