Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black)

Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black)

Pros: Excellent Sonic Quality & Presentation, Very Good Build Quality, Unmatched Value.

Cons: Slightly Uncomfortable due to Weightiness

Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time passed, the passion of music grew in me, and that subsequently led me to join Head-Fi. Eventually, I found the pleasure of listening to music mainly by the HD600 and recently, by the seductive LCD2 headphones, and realized the true components of recorded music. I usually like to listen to Indian Classical Music along with Bollywood songs. My main listening genres include classical, vocal, instrumental, jazz and sometimes pop.

Intro:  Somic is a headphone manufacturing brand headquartered in Shenzhen, China. Somic was established in 1999, it is one of China’s oldest and largest headphone brand. It has obtained the esteemed ISO9001/2008 and other such certificates for its ability in manufacturing.

Somic currently has a wide range of budget headphone offerings, which it also OEM’s to other brands. The MH463 is their flagship headphone.

Specifications of MH463:

Drivers: 50MM CCAW coil

Rated Impedance: 45 Ω

Frequency Response: 8 ~ 30,000 Hz

Sensitivity: 93dB

Weight: 388 Grams

Plug: 3.5mm with screw on 6.5mm Gold plated

Cable: 1.6 Metres, Fixed & non removable.

Let us see what the MH463 has got for us,

Packaging and Accessories: The MH463’s arrive packed inside a black cardboard box. Once the case is flipped open, The MH463 is seen resting behind a plastic window. Nothing fancy, basic accessories included. But each and every part has a premium quality and feel to it.

List of accessories in the box, which include the following:

Screw on ¼” Converter: To plug in the MH463 in the 6.5mm headphone jacks.

Velcro: An velcro to tie up the lengthy cable when not in use.

Design and Build: The MH463 has a great build quality. The entire housing shell is made up of high quality forged aluminium & fibre. It isn’t painted, but is anodized, which is again a step forward in engineering. These are not light in weight, and feel fairly (but not excessive) heavy on head.  Headband is made up of steel, covered by a pleather cushion. Earpads are pleathers. These are fully open, and over ear headphones, and the design/calculations has been extremely well carried out.

Cable has a very good build. It is light, flexible and does not get tangled. I could not notice the presence of any microphonics. Plug is straight and gold plated, and is very well built. The stock cable does a great job in transferring signals along with great transparency. But the cable is fixed & not detachable.

Previously, many users had reported creaking frames or similar issues, and as of now, most of those issues have been addressed & solved by Somic, and I cannot observe any creaking movements.

Comfort:  MH463’s are very comfortable to wear in general, owing to its oval earcups and very comfortable clamp, long yokes, the MH463 is literally fits well all enthusiasts. It can be made comfortable for long sessions by upgrading to a better earpads.

The clamping force and headband angling is very well implemented, and clamp force is very adaptive & accurate without exerting undesirable pressure on our skull. The yoke is also long enough to provide a good comfort for enthusiasts with longer/larger heads. Even though MH463’s are fully-open headphones, these leak sound, but not as loud as majority of open cans.

The stock earpads of MH463 lack in ventilation hence are uncomfortable for ears & cause sweating. So in my opinion, it is necessary to switch over to HM5 velour pads, which are very economical at 20$ a pair. This step ensures in a big step up in comfort. The MH463 is quite heavy feeling can when worn over head, because it weighs 388 grams (result of a great build). This is the only real con (unavoidable) in comfort area.

Sound:  The MH463 has a neutral character, with a slight emphasis on upper mids. I really liked the way MH463 presented itself sonically. Overall character is such a way that, lows are really accurate and tight; hence focus falls on mids to highs. This helps us to better retrieve the details, pick out instruments and gives us a sense of increased air and soundstage.

Burn in: These improve a lot with time. Let’s say a playback of 100 hours provides audible improvements, along with relaxed and adopted clamping force. Bass prior to break-in is slightly more sterile, and eventually it becomes more in body, Mids will sound more open, airy and slightly more forward. highs which were ‘noticeable and aggressive‘ become slightly more smooth and natural, soundstage opens up by a margin.

Lows: are very accurate, tight and refined; have a strong impact. Depth, and extension is moderate.

Mids: sounded slightly recessed at first listen, but with burn-in, mids open up and get slightly forward and pleasing.

Highs: Very are clear, detailed, and in just about the exact quantity required.  I can describe highs not as ‘bright’ but as ‘right’

Soundstage: The MH463’s soundstage is airy, spacious, and 3D like. Depth is excellent. Instrument separation, detail retrieval is very good. According to my observation, these cans sounded good in every genre I tried, but particularly excelled in instrumentals, and classical. Vocals were good if not great. I can say the MH463’s are not forgiving to poor recordings. Hence these are revealing and resolving.

Comparison: The MH463 holds an unbelievably great value and price/performance aspect, it is unmatched by any open back headphone within 100$. Not only that, its performance, build, comfort is very much comparable to sub 200$ headphones.

Hence, I will pick Sennheiser’s HD598  & Audio Technica’s AD900X as MH463’s chief competitors, even though latter ones cost more than twice the price of MH463 at 60$ shipped. All these are low impedance, and easy to drive, open and over-ear cans.

HD 598: By comfort & build, these are really superior, owing to their light weight construction, velour earpads and a softer headband. But by sound quality, HD598 falls slightly behind MH463 in the area of precision, instrument separation, clarity & soundstage. But these are slightly easier to drive than MH463’s. HD598’s are available at around 150$ in amazon.

AD900X:  Again, edges out the MH463 in terms of comfort, build, and also sonically outperforms the MH463, but these cost three times the price of MH463. At 170$ shipped, It is one of the best can available in the price range, but MH$63 simple offers a great value and a near-performance in 1/3rd of its price.

So, ultimately without a second thought, The MH463 has a tremendous value, impressive sonic performance, & reigns as the King of sub 100$ cans, and competes very well with sub 200$ headphones.

Amplification: These MH463’s are rated at 45 ohms, hence are designed to be power efficient, and can be run by weak sources .The need for a dedicated headphone amplifier is comparatively less, although a dedicated amp can improve can sound quality by a good margin. O2/ODAC setup brings out the best in MH463’s. Or even a 30$ homemade cmoy brings out the potential in them.

Conclusion:  The MH463 can be considered as a wonderful set of headphones. It has an exceptional price to performance ratio. I am really impressed. The MH463’s are a pair, which I feel everyone should probably try out in their audio journey, because they’re a great pair in their own right. I can whole heartedly recommend them to anyone who loves audio. From a budding music enthusiast to a studio mixer to a veteran audiophile. Nobody can really regret buying the MH463.  With these, even an average music enthusiast can afford to listen to quality music.

The Pros:

1) Build Quality: The MH463 has a great all-metal/fibre build.

2) Sound quality: Sound presentation here is very neutral, with slight emphasis on upper mids and is very much helpful for critical listening as well as musical pleasure.

3) Value:  Sheer and unbeatable value & one of the best price to performance ratio headphones one might encounter.

The Cons:

1) Comfort: This is definitely a downside considering the weight of 388 grams, which is on heavier side. .Also, the earpads needs to be changed/upgraded for a better comfort and listening experience.

Pros: Impactful, Nice Detail, Price

Cons: Creaking Frame, Comfort, Design, Availability

Firstly, a big thank you to Joe for helping me get a pair of MH463s smily_headphones1.gif. I've had them now for over 4 months. These are my thoughts.

Out of the box I was impressed: They looks pretty nice, there's reassuring weight to the construction and comfort is serviceable. The body is mostly metal. As established though, long term comfort isn't great: the cups are just too shallow. Most will probably buy with this in mind though, as did I, with intentions of rectifying in the future. There are some issues with frame creaking when turning your head too - can be slightly annoying.

Concerning recent balancing discussion: I can only assume it's a bad batch. I assume mine must be from an earlier production run given the timeframe of buying them from Joe. I have no imbalance on mine. I'm pretty sensitive too. My first pair of M50s had it, and I sent them all the way back to the US for a replacement.

Sound is very good. Lots of space and instrument separation, with a fairly flat response. Nothing seemed recessed or highlighted; I like this. All elements of my music seemed to be given ample representation. The 50mm drivers provide enviable sound and presence. Bass is there, and provides a nice thrum for guitar or atmospheric background drone when called for. If anything, this is where there a bit of bias in the sound. Nothing overbearing though.

After burn-in/100hrs is when they really shine though! biggrin.gif

I would leave my set cycling through my songs nightly. This lasted about a week. Didn't really use them much during this period. When I first did though, wow, I was very impressed! There just seemed to be much more harmony in the music, more cohesion. Not muddy, but full-bodied. Nice and lush and weighty. Separation was further improved, and with a nice smoothness to the vocals. Sibilance is gone too. Coming through the E17 with LOD - I was blown away. The audio quality improved noticeably, and it responded wonderfully with the bass and treble settings.

I had put them on par with my HM5 rebrands originally (which I rate highly), but now, MH463 is king! Done some comparisons and the music just sounds more alive with the Somics. More impact, more space. Instruments and voice are more present. HM5 are no slouch, but these just outclass them.

GET THEM! ...and give them a chance too wink.gif. Out of the box they may not sound like anything special, but given the right treatment, they can sound wonderfully grand. Which brings me to my next passage - how I fixed comfort issues:

As mentioned, the cups are too shallow (they're actually nice and plush however). You can replace with other pads, like from the M50 or the Turtle Beaches for example, or plump the existing pads yourself. I was hesitant on deciding because personal preference varys wildly on the best pad replacement. A lot seem to feel it negatively colours the sound too. I decided to stuff the pads instead.

I originally tried cotton wool, foam and tissue. All worked to differing degrees, but had shortcomings. I had got along on tissue, but they compress and move too easily. It always seemed like a stopgap option. Recently, while wearing the Somics mind you, I was absentmindedly squishing together some silicone earplugs I'd picked up for 50c on clearance. I found they moulded together almost like play dough - awesome! I was having fun messing around when it occurred to me I could use them on the headphones. I took the whole packet and made two strips of equal length and width. They look like snakes. I then sort of moulded them to the underside of the cushion on the cups. It worked surprisingly well. Because they're malleable, but also keep their shape, theyre perfect to act as support. Additionally, the silicone will affix it in place and won't shift. The creaking is better too. When done it raised the cushion padding upward without squashing. The ear pads are now still soft, but raised from the driver housing.

Pretty pleased with the solution! Very comfortable now. I'd advise you to try it out, at the least. I couldn't notice any sound changes. It's probably a placebo, but it seems to improve the isolation. Again, probably a placebo biggrin.gif

Here's some pics. I used Macks waterproof earplugs. You can feel when applying under the cushion the opening for the drivers. There's a circle that enclosing the entire section it. Just make sure you push the silicone back from this. Should be just behind. Check it out:

LL

Kinda compliments the colour too cool.gif

Pros: Great mids and highs.

Cons: Presentation not properly anchored, lacking in midbass! Physically heavy hence not suited for extended listening!

At budget prices there is not much one can expect from headphone manufacturers. These budget headphones have to balance pricing and performance to be competitive but the Lasmex H75 Pros ( rebranded Somic MH463) seem to have found a decent balance. They don’t look overtly “plasticky”, maintaining a reasonably reassuring build. The metal band that runs across both headphone frame is pretty sturdy and the remaining parts are made of tough plastic. A three year guarantee is greatly admirable and definitely helps the buyer to be more confident with the headphone, ofcourse this may depend on the rebranding vendor. The headband also seems to add considerable weight to the headphone, which makes it heavy over extended listening sessions The markings on the metal band help in making quick adjustments and are much appreciated by users like moi! The headphones have an impedance of 45 ohms and have a 50 mm driver. The large driver makes the headphone quite substantial to look at and most definitely also plays a role in the well resolved sound the headphone puts out (more on that later…). The headphone has an open type construction meaning, there is going to be leakage of music to the surrounding, the size and open nature of the H-75 Pro will mean you would ideally be using these indoors. A 3m cable terminating in a 3.5mm stereo plug with a 6.5mm adapter completes the Lasmex H75 Pro.The earpads cushions are unusually too soft and do tend to compress too much. Though that may not affect all, users like me (not small ears!) have comfort issues. The earlobe tends to rest on the hard plastic containing the drivers and causes comfort problems during extended listening periods. Yet another discomfort is  the sheer weight of the headphone itself! The plastic lining bearing the branding “Lasmex” covering the headband seems to be the culprit, you can always remove that to increase comfort and probably replace it with a third-party headband cushion.

The H75 Pro weaves magic with vocals! I had been listening to the HiFiman HE500 for a few months ago and then moved on since, I did not have the right amplifier and the H75 pleasantly reminded me of that headphone.Yes, the HE500 is in an altogether different league but the H75 does truly have a good, no Great (for the price!) presentation in the mids. Can’t wait to try it on with a tube amp, unfortunately don’t have one at the moment :-( . The headphone portrayed a very natural and sweet mid frequency presentation that is portrayed in an intimate manner than the bass and high frequencies, when supported by the Burson HA160 & the O2 amp the vocals were very good. Ideally, alternative, pop, vocal Jazz and other mid centric content shine with this headphone.Though when the volume is pushed beyond reasonable levels I did not notice some distortion in the mids. The performance of this headphone rests so much on this part of the sound that it is not as impressive with genres like dance, techno and electronic where not much attention is required in the vocals. A beautifully resolved and airy presentation with the right amount of shine. The treble is definitely one of the strengths of the H75 pro. A very rich but untiring treble as observed in other higher end & expensive headphones. The amount of instrument separation and air in the high frequencies is just unheard of at this price point!

Coming from the HD650 it is quite difficult to get used to a presentation that does not put as much intensity and richness into the low-end. The bass on the H75 Pro is quite linear and neutral with some presence of sub bass as well. It does have enough quality, but definitely seems to lack  in midbass quantity for my tastes. This perhaps, has to do something with the presentation style that the headphone adopts. The beautiful mids in the foreground with clean and clear highs seem to demand a suitable amount of low-frequency (midbass) support to really anchor the presentation, unfortunately that’s where the Lasmex H75 pro let me down. One cannot plainly complain about the bass of this headphone, its does make itself felt when called for by the music, but feels slightly anemic.As mentioned before this observation could also be due to the time that I spent with the HE500/HD650 and somehow fixing that presentation as the standard to judge similarly voiced headphones.

The Lasmex H75 Pro or the Somic MH463 is a well executed headphone design with very little drawbacks. The comfort problem is something that would be a pain for some listeners, the lack of a slightly weighty bottom  may as well leave some listeners unsatisfied.Tip! The Somic Ef 82 Mt is another offering that seems more appealing than the MH 463 in terms of sound.

Read the full review at my blog.

Pros: Awesome sound; top-class subbass with aftermarket pads that seal the ear

Cons: Bad stock pads; clamping force too high for large heads

Link to review thread:

Additional notes:

1. Stock sound is neutral with elevated bass but very natural mids and treble and great soundstage.

2. Changing to leather Hifiman pads and taping over the 4 vents around each driver enclosure increases subbass to awesome levels; however midbass to low mids also elevated causing boomy sound

3. The following EQ can be applied to the cans modded in (2) to approach a very natural, neutral sound with very powerful subbass:

Pros: Sound quality. These are unreal.

Cons: Comfort (stock pads, weight), packing quality and contents

Copied from here:

(For reference, coming form SR850s w/ modified pads and Philips Citiscape Uptowns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post

Came home from work to find a package from Hong Kong.

Packaging of the 463s is so-so. Looks kinda nice, feels kinda cheap, only accessories to speak of is a plug adapter. Whatever, I'm not buying packaging so this doesn't bother or disappoint me.

Build quality is nice. Heavier than the SR850s and Uptowns. Cable is much better than the Uptowns'. I like that the cups swivel to lay flat, but as these are open phones I probably won't be traveling much with them.

Sound quality straight out of the box... holy crap. First song is Crossfade's acoustic of "Falling Away" side-to-side with the Philips Uptowns, and I'm a little stunned. I now definitely understand what people have said about closed headphones sounding 'closed in' compared to open headphones, but even so I actually like the Somic's sound more (I've been loving my Uptowns, so this is a surprise that a less-expensive pair of headphones sounds notably better). Very good first impression for sound! Bill Withers' "Use Me" (one of my all-time favorites) doesn't sound quite as open, but I think it's the recording; the Uptowns suited that song a little better (made it more intimate, I guess). Bass is more or less comparable with the Uptowns with maybe a little less punch. Gonna need to compare with some 5FDP for that. "Breath of Life" by Florence + Machine goes to the 463's, no contest: the openness adds this epic quality to the song that was meant to be there, but doesn't quite show with the Uptowns. On DJ Fresh's "Louder" (the one, the only, Doctor P & Flux P remix), the closed Uptowns definitely have more impact and sound a little better, even though they lose a little detail to the 463's.

Comfort: first impression is cramped ears. The ear pads definitely need to be thicker and deeper. Gonna find a way to make this happen. The Uptowns are orders of magnitude better for comfort, and I actually know the meaning of that phrase!

Overall, I'm really liking what I hear. Big thanks to Joe (and 3AM insomnia) for introducing me to these bad boys.

The lacking of comfort is the only reason I can think of not to give these 5 stars. Even then, the sound quality, especially for the price, really tempts me to. But the comfort issue is a real one: the stock pads are not very deep anyway and compress very easily, leaving your ears cramped up against the driver grill/vent/thing. Replacing the stock pads with these from Turtle Beach ($14 shipped to the SE USA) fixes any problems one can have with their comfort. I can't speak to changes in sound quality at the moment, but at the very least they sound as good as they had before. The top headband is so-so; it can be better but isn't bad.

Not sure how to rate 'Design'. They do not have detachable cables, so I suppose that's a minus. The 3.5 plug is rather nice and secures in place very well. The cable is certainly long enough and doesn't seem to tangle easily or induce cable-related noise. The cups rotate so the headphone can lay flat, say in a backpack, which is a convenience I haven't had before. The top headband pleather pad can be improved by widening it, but it also collapses easily like the stock ear pads. I hear people complain about the creaking as you turn the ear cups but it doesn't while they're worn so I see no issue with them (except as a point if a "polished" product).

Find them. Buy them. They're worth every penny and many, many more.

Pros: Sound quality in general (especially high mids and soundstage). Sonically comparable to headphones four times its price. Costs less than a night out.

Cons: Bass gets boomy. Atrocious pads. Arrived dirty, despite buying new. Questionable build quality. No detachable cable, case, or other accessories.

First impressions of these bad boys (coming unamped from a Motorola Xoom, because I spent the week at my dad's, while my audio equipment spent the week at my mom's) were not good. The bass was boomy, the highs were non-existent, and the mids existed in a state of recession that could put 2010 USA to shame. The only thing that made them comparable to Sennheiser was a comically overstated veil. Despite this, I kept listening to them, finding these qualities to become less and less apparent over time. Yesterday, I tried them out again, and to my surprise, they finally started sounding like the HD600 competitors Head-Fi has been touting them as. Perhaps spending 6 hours outside in the Michigan cold while I was in school impacted their sound quality.

The MH463, after burn-in (literally) sounds wonderful. Highs are present, but not "sparkly"/obtrusive. Lower mids (especially male vocals) are a bit recessed, but they do an excellent job at bringing female vocalists to the forefront. Soundstage is wide, obviously, with this being an open-backed headphone, but not to the point of sounding "gimmicky". Bass packs a definite punch, but can get a little sloppy on tracks with a lot of low bass (that "boom, boom, boom" crap). As the bass is this headphone's major problem area, it goes without saying that the MH463 perform best with acoustic, classical, rock, and other genres that don't involve subbass.

Only one small problem. Although the Somics sound excellent...that's about all they do right. The build is creaky and rigid feeling (I feel like these things are going to snap in half every time I use the extenders). It is very obvious that Somic spent their money on R&D and drivers, leaving accessories (no case or spare pads) and features (don't expect a detachable cable here) to their more costly competitors. They also shipped a bit...dirty, with residue and other white/grey "gunk" all over the housing. Gross. This isn't necessarily something to complain about, however, as making these cut-backs allows Somic to offer $150+ dollar sound at a $50 price point. Unfortunately, due to this mindset, the Somic MH463 falls victim to having the worst pads ever. Seriously. I can't wear these things for more than 20 minutes without my ears bursting into flames. They also rest awkwardly on the ear, making my ear tips and lobes very uncomfortable.

Fortunately, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 has some of the best pads ever, and they just so happen to fit the Somic MH463. I just worked this one out, so I can't give a 100% review of the sound, but it seems to circumvent the bass issues with this headphone quite a bit.

This is one of the best "sound quality for buck" headphones out there. Just understand that when you purchase these that sound quality is all that you are getting. As we are audiophiles, this shouldn't be much of an issue. Unfortunately, I don't see this headphone serving the needs of people who have other needs. At the end of the day, this is a $200 headphone in a $50 package, but it's still very obvious that it comes in a $50 package.

SOUND QUALITY:

BASS: Loud, boomy, and kind of obnoxious in bass-heavy genres without M50 pads, but is punchy and articulate in more "natural" ones.
LOW-MIDS: Slightly recessed and distant, but still hefty and with a good amount of "body" to them.
HIGH-MIDS: Exceptional. From 350-700 Hz, the MH463 is unstoppable. Airy, a bit sparkly, and right at the forefront, which is exactly where they should be. The high-mids truly set this headphone apart from everything else I have heard.
TREBLE: It's here, it exists, it does its job, and it leaves. Not harsh or grating, nor recessed and hollow, the MH463s treble gets done what it needs to get done. You'll know when a vocalist breathes or a drummer hits a hi-hat, but it's not painfully obvious unless the track calls for it.
SOUNDSTAGE: Wide, inviting, definitely not intimate. Things that are hard panned sound like they're coming from about 95-100 degrees left or right (slightly over your shoulder). Everything fills in quite nicely.

BUILD/FEATURES:

DURABILITY: Not great, it appears. This headphone employs a similar strain relief to the M50...and seeing how my M50's strain relief broke, this is definitely vulnerable. Don't move your head back and forth too much while listening, because the MH463s creak like there's no tomorrow. Also, the extenders are very rigid and tight, sort of like the JVC HA-S400. Perhaps they just need to be broken in.
COMFORT: Without the M50 pads, the MH463 is unbearable for more than 30 minutes to an hour. However, they do have a well-cushioned headband, so once the M50 pads are on, they are an absolute breeze to wear for long periods.
APPEARANCE: They look...decent, I guess. Save for the residue, they appear pretty plain and standard.
ACCESSORIES: Hope you like 1/4 inch adapters, because that is all you're getting.

Overall, this is a must-own for all audiophiles and a must-avoid for everyone else. If you can get past some build quality and comfort issues (I cannot stress getting the M50 pads enough), then you will be treated to one of the best sounding headphones you can purchase for under $200, let alone $50.

EDIT: Turtle Beach X12/X32 pads are much more comfortable than the M50 ones. They can be had from Turtle Beach's website for about $13 shipped to the US.

Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black)
By:

Open-air Dynamic Headphones

BindingElectronics
BrandSomic
EAN6939107503630
FeatureStereo Gold-plated plugs support 6.3 mm and 3.5mm applications Memory sponge leather earpads for comfort Soft support system reduces pressure on the head Adjustable headband for comfortable long-wearing listening Anti-vibration aluminum to improve audio performance Bobbin-wound CCAW coil for greater sound reproduction
LabelSomic
ManufacturerSomic
ModelMH463
MPNMH463
PublisherSomic
StudioSomic
TitleSomic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black)
Package Height4 inches