Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Shure SRH840 › Shure SRH840 Reviews

Shure SRH840 Reviews

SoundScout

Incredible value and worth every coin you pay for it! 9.4/10

Pros: Fantastic EQ balance, very good for recording and return sound.

Cons: Nothing, except headband can be slippery and sometimes falls of easily.

Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you phone/computer/mixing desk etc. Whether you are listening to Bob Dylan or Jeff Buckley; or if you're listening to Amaranthe and Suicide Silence, the EQ balance is perfect for everything.   They are very well designed for recording and playback, and are very useful for listening back to your own recordings you do whether it's through a MIDI file, D.I. output or through a professional mixing desk, these headphones are what you're looking for.   Sitting in the passenger seat in the car with my wife for...
justyourboy

Fantastic. Go buy a pair.

Pros: Very neutral but not to the point where music doesn't sound enjoyable. Comfortable. Not too pricey.

Cons: 3 more dB of 64hz and they'd be perfect for my personal taste.

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from I have owned JH audio JH5 IEMs, Fostex T50rps, and Audio Technica ATH-M50x's. My Fostex T50rps were issued to me at audio engineering school and were what I used as reference for a long time and I loved their natural mids. My JH5's are also very flat as far as IEMs are concerened. i was not a fan of the ATH-M50x's (owned them for about an hour before returning and getting these Shures).     I'll keep this short and sweet. The sound is very neutral but at the same time not too flat. If anyone has ever been in a studio these don't sound like Yamaha NS10's. I'll give the Fostex that comparison tho. These sound flat/neutral but with a...
Matthew-Spaltro

For the money paid you can not go wrong!

Pros: Great for the price. Comfort is above average for me. Does not require amp but will probably improve with one.

Cons: Exposed wiring. May not be comfortable for everyone. Heavy on the head. Might not be good for fast or aggressive music.

Keep in mind I am using a sony discman model number D-E456CK from late 1999 as source and no amp to speak of except the one in the discman itself.  For classic rock like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd no problem what so ever but for aggressive stuff like Opeth's still life album or an Iron Maiden or even Judas Priest album you may want to look at a different can anyway.   But also keep in mind I don't own an external amp currently or even have one at my whim at the moment.  I personally think even a decent enough cheap amp {around $200} will do wonders for the sound by opening up the low bass and evening out the mids.  I do not personally believe...
newton2105

One of the best values in its class

Pros: Fantastic sound for the price, mostly neutral but with a nice, warm midrange that's good for vocals

Cons: Will be a bit bass light for some, very heavy, exposed wiring on headband

These headphones are a great bargain for anyone wanting a very good monitoring headphone that delivers great SQ across the frequency spectrum.   This is not the most fun sounding headphone since it is designed for monitoring, so if you like your music with a decent bit of coloration, then you should look elsewhere.   That said, it is not completely neutral.  It does have a somewhat warm midrange that makes it fantastic for listening to vocals.  Overall, for the price you pay, these cans offer a decent amount of detail and an overall balanced sound that should please audiophiles who are on a budget.  Bass is accurate and tight, but a bit on the light side. ...
Brainiac777

Amazing!

Pros: Sound Quality, Price, Build Quality.

Cons: Comfort, Wires sticking out, and Headband

My first cans, at $185 was a pretty good steal considering they weren't even on sale. After comparing them to my $20 Sony earbuds, they sound amazing! I mostly listen to EDM with a lot of dubstep and trance, with specific songs with female vocals and they are amazing. Just the right amount of bass and I can't really tell that these are revealing. The headphone didn't feel heavy in the hands but after extended use on the head, the weight it noticeable, so noticeable in fact that I am going to mod it with a new headband, removing the rubber piece and replacing it with an aftermarket one.   Link to Replacement Headband: ...
kgleason

Good for electronic, alternative Ok for Hiphop

Pros: Wire, electronic music, alternative music, rock music, price

Cons: hiphop, rap, high snares( rap music), alittle heavy

I bought these headphones primarily for listening to Hiphop/Rap music. Theyre not bad for hiphop but definitely electronic and alternative come off as much clearer ( more comfy then beats, sound doesnt leak but beats do sound better with rap music). The music comes out clear, clearer than Beats By Dre Solo Hds. Bass is good, deep,  can handle it well, I suggest customizing the bass with the itunes equalizer . The highs can be alittle scratchy at first. High snares can come off as really annoying though ( Swimming Pools by Kendrick Lamar, i cant even listen to that song in these) In all, these headphones sound great and I am going to purchase an amp soon and believe that will help....
Kramerftw

Very Good sound quality, Very Good Isolation with very low sound leaks,Bass is very acurate but not powerful (imo), Comfortable earpads, but too heavy

Pros: Very Good sound quality, Very good isolation with little to no leaks, Accurate bass,comfortable earpads, removeable/coiled cable. amp not needed.

Cons: Very heavy headphones, bass is not powerful enough for bassheads like myself, poor aesthetics.

These are very good headphones. If you don't need "basshead bass", just accurate , crisp bass , then these are for you. Although they are comfortable around the ears, they are very heavy, not too big of a deal imo, the quality of sound and overall design of the headphones makes it alright. Amp is not really required due to the low ohms on these too.   I opted to return them tho, as the bass was not powerful enough and they were too heavy. if they had basshead bass and werent so heavy, they would be perfect.
ST1G

Exceptional sound for the price.

Pros: Highly detailed and very well balanced sound, good isolation, decent soundstage for closed cans.

Cons: Bulky and loose headband, not comfortable for big ears.

Bought them for 200$ couple of years ago. In terms of sound - nothing comes close for the price. Bass is gentle and rather lean, but very accurate and when equalized can get very deep. The mids are warm and delightful while high are crisp and clear but nor overdone. As the title says the sound is extremely balanced, although personally I prefer a darker, deeper color overall. Sound leakage is quite minimal but they are too bulky and do not sit tight enough on the head for day to day commuting.
Mattjh90

Great headphones for value

Pros: Smooth, amazing mids, tight bass, very neutral, detachable cable

Cons: can be uncomfortable, pretty big

Ive had these headphones for about 2 weeks now and they are starting to break in quite nicely. I do use a nice DAC and Amp to help power these cans. They are only 44ohm headphones so they dont require much to power but a dedicated source can really improve the sound of the headphones i've found rather then playing them straight off the device.        Highs - Sound very nice, the treble is sweet and has a very nice and neutral sound to it. They can be a tad bright but that can be a good thing for some people.    Mids - Is where these cans shine, the vocals are amazing. I have a pair of beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80ohm and i love those for...
saxophone

Best Pair I have Listened With

Pros: Detachable cable; Neutral sound; Great isolation; Beautiful range

Cons: Had headaches at first but headband adjusted to my head; Coiled cable slightly too long; Cable on left side

This pair is perfect for listening, especially after broken in. The first few days were hell, but after that, it was blissful. I cannot go a week without picking these up and listening to something.   My set up is a Fiio E6 and I also have a L3 line-in for my iPod Classic (6th Gen). While I would love to upgrade from these headphones, I don't know how much better I can get while being able to detect the difference (luckily for me, I suppose )   Anyway, there is a reason these are so highly rated throughout the community. Don't just take my word for it.