Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Shure SRH840 › Shure SRH840 Reviews

Shure SRH840 Reviews

kgleason

Good for electronic, alternative Ok for Hiphop

Pros: Wire, electronic music, alternative music, rock music, price

Cons: hiphop, rap, high snares( rap music), alittle heavy

I bought these headphones primarily for listening to Hiphop/Rap music. Theyre not bad for hiphop but definitely electronic and alternative come off as much clearer ( more comfy then beats, sound doesnt leak but beats do sound better with rap music). The music comes out clear, clearer than Beats By Dre Solo Hds. Bass is good, deep,  can handle it well, I suggest customizing the bass with the itunes equalizer . The highs can be alittle scratchy at first. High snares can come off as really annoying though ( Swimming Pools by Kendrick Lamar, i cant even listen to that song in these) In all, these headphones sound great and I am going to purchase an amp soon and believe that will help....
Kramerftw

Very Good sound quality, Very Good Isolation with very low sound leaks,Bass is very acurate but not powerful (imo), Comfortable earpads, but too heavy

Pros: Very Good sound quality, Very good isolation with little to no leaks, Accurate bass,comfortable earpads, removeable/coiled cable. amp not needed.

Cons: Very heavy headphones, bass is not powerful enough for bassheads like myself, poor aesthetics.

These are very good headphones. If you don't need "basshead bass", just accurate , crisp bass , then these are for you. Although they are comfortable around the ears, they are very heavy, not too big of a deal imo, the quality of sound and overall design of the headphones makes it alright. Amp is not really required due to the low ohms on these too.   I opted to return them tho, as the bass was not powerful enough and they were too heavy. if they had basshead bass and werent so heavy, they would be perfect.
ST1G

Exceptional sound for the price.

Pros: Highly detailed and very well balanced sound, good isolation, decent soundstage for closed cans.

Cons: Bulky and loose headband, not comfortable for big ears.

Bought them for 200$ couple of years ago. In terms of sound - nothing comes close for the price. Bass is gentle and rather lean, but very accurate and when equalized can get very deep. The mids are warm and delightful while high are crisp and clear but nor overdone. As the title says the sound is extremely balanced, although personally I prefer a darker, deeper color overall. Sound leakage is quite minimal but they are too bulky and do not sit tight enough on the head for day to day commuting.
Mattjh90

Great headphones for value

Pros: Smooth, amazing mids, tight bass, very neutral, detachable cable

Cons: can be uncomfortable, pretty big

Ive had these headphones for about 2 weeks now and they are starting to break in quite nicely. I do use a nice DAC and Amp to help power these cans. They are only 44ohm headphones so they dont require much to power but a dedicated source can really improve the sound of the headphones i've found rather then playing them straight off the device.        Highs - Sound very nice, the treble is sweet and has a very nice and neutral sound to it. They can be a tad bright but that can be a good thing for some people.    Mids - Is where these cans shine, the vocals are amazing. I have a pair of beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80ohm and i love those for...
saxophone

Best Pair I have Listened With

Pros: Detachable cable; Neutral sound; Great isolation; Beautiful range

Cons: Had headaches at first but headband adjusted to my head; Coiled cable slightly too long; Cable on left side

This pair is perfect for listening, especially after broken in. The first few days were hell, but after that, it was blissful. I cannot go a week without picking these up and listening to something.   My set up is a Fiio E6 and I also have a L3 line-in for my iPod Classic (6th Gen). While I would love to upgrade from these headphones, I don't know how much better I can get while being able to detect the difference (luckily for me, I suppose )   Anyway, there is a reason these are so highly rated throughout the community. Don't just take my word for it.
billyhightech

Good bang for you $$$

Pros: Great all around performer

Cons: Not the most "open" soundstage

I really,really like these cans. Using an Android based smartphone as my source unit (FLAC,OGG and MP3s via neutron MP) these cans really sound solid. The highs are very detailed without being overly bright. Bass is not overwhelming,but solid. If its on the track its there,if its not its not. Simple as that. The mids are very open and clean,but lack that little warmth (think Grado house sound). Where thats a good or bad thing is up to you. I personally like many cans that other people claim have a dry sound (like Etymotics). I got a really good deal on these (B-stock from headroom) and couldnt pass them up. For $200 there may be other options you might want to consider,however.
autumnholy

Nothing exceptional. Just how the music sounds.

Pros: Neutral sound, sufficient bass (for me), great mid and high (and not bright)

Cons: Weight is an issue on the skull. Un-colored (may not be fun)

This is a very very early review (just a few days from my purchase). Reason I bought this can is to invest in some home entertainment hub for myself. Initially choosing M50, but it's out of stock when I tried the demo set over and over and was about to make the purchase. sad.   Then I changed my mind, go for SRH840. Turned out to be not bad. Compared to M50, this can is seriously discolored (what I mean was, the bass is flat, the mid is clear, and the high is just flat, nothing outstanding). Although i still think i would like the more "fun" M50, which is quite bassy and colored (monitoring? I don't know, more towards entertaining). But SRH840 gives me a great chill on what...
Brooko

Smooth, rich, incredible value - Shure SRH 840

Pros: Very good SQ, great value, replaceable cords, comfortable

Cons: Design (see review), weight

Sadly I'm saying goodbye to my SRH840's (as I move further up the SQ ladder) - but the experience has been memorable, and for an entry point to 'quality audio', I can give this model a very big endorsement. UPDATE 25/4/13 - repurchased - didn't realise how good these were until I had to spend time away from them! Product Description The Shure SRH 840 is a closed circumaural full sized headphone, that has a detachable single-sided cable, and is the former flagship of Shure's headphone range (since superceded by the SRH940). Shure describes the 840 as: "Designed for professional audio engineers and musicians, the SRH840 Professional Monitoring Headphones from Shure are optimized for...
zpolt

One of the Best sounding cans in the Price Range

Pros: Superb Sound, Extremely Comfortable, Accurate when used as Studio Monitors

Cons: Exposed wire

I do home studio recording using different instruments and this exceeded my requirements in using them as monitors and I love them!   Comfort - These are extremely comfortable, soft pads all around, and you can wear them for long hours - In my case, when i'm recording and mixing, or just listening to music, i have them on my head from 6 - 10 hours straight with no fatigue at all. So they are extremely comfortable - The sound coming from the cans also are not that fatiguing so you can listen to them the whole day without feeling pain in your ears   Build - It is tough plastic all around and the headband looks it is built to last - However, there are exposed...
cnote678

Awesome Sound

Pros: Sound Quality, Comfort, Value

Cons: Too top heavy

Packaging: Classy box, easy to open, nicely presented.   Comfort: Earcups are perfectly comfortable and they fit wonderfully. Hours long listening sessions are still perfectly comfortable.   Design: The design of these is really cool in that the band is entirely flexible, but the practical application is diminished because of it. It makes the headphones extremely top heavy, so you cannot really move much at all while wearing these. For example, they are annoying to use while doing housework, or even putting your shoes on, because if you lean your head forward at all they will slide forward and eventually fall off. In this regard, the design of the SRH DJ 750 is more comfortable and usable...