Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone

Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone

Rated #54 in Headphones

Pros: The sound, the build quality, the bass, the soundstage

Cons: cable wire,

Brace yourself... Pardon any grammatical errors please as this is one of my longer reviews.

Some Background:

I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music and sound equipment but I never really got into the head-fi hobby until I discovered the Live Sound field from my schools drama club. From there I began to appreciate sound quality as it was just satisfying for me both from listening but also the engineering and everlasting ability to tweak and work on such.

I have worked with home audio, car audio, theater/show systems, portable/personal audio, digital audio (IP-LAN(uhg…) and DSP) and lots and lots of DIY projects. I’ve gone as far to make some of my own speaker cabinets and sound systems from various components too – most notably a very large 2 driver, 4 voice coil, 16ohm, band-pass subwoofer box that I’m quite fond of for its bass quantity and quality.

I’ve owned many headphones/IEM and related gear. Ill list some here but this certainly isn’t all; Shure SE846, Shure SE315, Shure SE215, Westone UM3x, Westone UM3x RC, Westone UM1, Earsonic SM3, Sansa Clip Plus, Sansa Clip Zip, Bravo Tube AMP v3, Sennheiser IE80s (the fake ones) and Sennheiser HD420s

So while I don’t like to be arrogant I do feel qualified to judge products effectively and share my opinion and I hope you find my opinions and ideas entertaining and helpful.

Prelude:

I’ve owned these headphones for a few months and figured it would be a good idea to write a review for them considering they are the more expensive headphones I’ve owned. I’ve compared them to many of the previous headphones I’ve owned (notable the Um3x and the SM3) but also several at various meets and shows.

Some quick crazy facts:

-       They are crazy low impedance. 9ohms. so they can be powered very easily but sometimes you might encounter hiss. Also they can handle a decent amount of power. I’m not willing to find the limits though.

-       They are expensive.

-       They are built like tanks – but still sexy.

-       Shure is known for excellent support but I have yet to experience that as I have not had a problem

-       They come with 3 interchangeable filters that go in the nozzle. Black, Blue, White (warm, balanced, and high/clear)

Purchase and Experience:

After having a lovely time with my UM3x I decided I wanted more. More textured and detailed bass and more sound stage. I started looking at some midrange IEMs. Custom and Universal at around the $500 price point. While these were super cool I didn’t have the means to try them. I decided to settle with something lower in price as I did like my UM3x but wanted just a hair more. I did some researched and purchased the crazy looking Earsonic SM3s which look a lot like the Um3x. Sounds good right?

It was – and while I did notice an improvement in the Earsonics’ I still wanted more. Also I always had a problem with the Earsonics’ falling apart on me – I would remember back to a time when I used my Shure SE315s that I could drive a truck over. I missed that.

I was aware of the 846 at the time but I couldn’t dream of spending that much money… But I did dream of it. Id tease myself by going to Head-Fi classified and looking at used pairs for around $800. I figured if I sold many of my current Headphones I could afford to get them. And I decided to try. After many failed negotiations and fear of getting scammed $800 out I decided that I would buy them new. I called many online stores and worked them all on price before eventually I scored a brand new pair for $800 from headroom (headphone.com). I bought these – I was expecting my parents to jump me but they were like ‘cool dude sounds nice’.  I scored free 2 day shipping and a 30 day return policy if I didn’t like them. My dad even had the privilege of trying them in an airport store a day before mine arrived – live blogging to me via text message about how amazing they are. I nearly lost it.

Arrival

Today was the day. They had arrived and my first test was to play music while talking to my friend on Skype because I was so excited. That was a stupid choice. I should have just listened to music but whatever.  Ill skip the drama

SOUND:

They came with the balanced (blue) filters in them first. While the sound was very impressive it was too harsh for me at first. (But wait!) I almost found them overwhelming with treble and just noise in general. I was nervous. I decided to switch to the black filters.  After listening to some daft punk (our lord and savior) I was hooked.

The bass was so smooth and deep. And the mids were perfect, which is surprising as usually I’m VERY picky about these. The treble was unheard of. The extension was notably better than that of any IEM I’ve ever heard.  Keep in mind this is with the warm sounding filters.

It took me several weeks and several people also trying them to realize that the sound is an acquired taste. It’s not that it’s bad or repulsive but it’s more so that your brain becomes use to it. I like to pretend that our brains have a little inline EQ between our ears and mind. Often it seems that your brain cleans up the sound and hears what it wants to hear as to make music more pleasing but also enhance you sound perception. Whether this is true or not I don’t know but it’s what I think. I also think this has something to do with the “burn in” controversy. But I digress.

Point is that after a few weeks I think my brain had returned to the flat balanced out state of EQ as I was now hearing things more clearly as the music should be. Also I felt as if now would be a good time to try the other filters.  I decided to use the Whites. I was turned off by the openness and highs of them again so I went to blue.  This was incredible.

I noticed more instrument separation and defined bass. The bass had more texture – everyone says that but what does that mean? I think it means (as I also felt) that as the bass vibrated it was more clear in that you could hear the clarity in it. Each and every bass note and sound wave hitting your ear drum was more noticeable and less clouded together than that of lesser headphones and that of a lame car subwoofer that you might find in some kids truck.  I think this has to do with the subwoofer tunneling thing sure claims in their demo video. I think the sound tube and series of tunnels the drivers are behind create some sort of back pressure or something to add that richness but also quantity.

As with the evolution of my ears EQ and my desire for more soundstage and clarity I decided to try the whites.  This time I was very impressed and found them the most desirable.

I noticed clarity obviously, but also more detailed bass again. I didn’t think this was possible given I already liked what I had from the Blue filters. But most importantly... SOUNDSTAGE. This is what I wanted – as I listened to albums like Random Access Memories (thanks daftpunk again) I could notice placement of acoustic instruments but also bass and the vocalist. Songs that move fast and have a lot going on tend to be more vivid and you get to hear everything at once rather than fill it in yourself.

The binaural effect of sound echoing in the room or stage was something I was never able to experience with most music as these ques for your brain are very hard to reproduce unless it’s intentional. (Search for binaural haircut). But with such sensitivity and a good source and recorded audio it’s very noticeable with the Shure’s. You are getting the full experience whether the artist intended it or not and it’s something very impressive.

Aesthetics and Accessories:

Some of my friends think that they are ugly. I think it’s more so because they are strange and different looking. I personally always have liked the way these look – even before I owned them when I was in my “way too expensive to consider” phase. The engineering on these is incredible. They are like pieces of jewelry as the insides are so intricate and precise. It’s fascinating to look at.

The cable is that of most Shure IEMs. While it’s very strong, feels, and looks nice I am often frustrated with the memory wire that wraps over your ears. It moves and sticks out creating a lever effect sometimes. I removed the memory wire from my shorter cable that the 846 comes with and while this was awesome it soon wore at the base of the connectors going into the headphone and was on the way out.  There is no sounds of cable moving against your clothes or anything. Cable is overall solid.

You can see all the other accessories online so I won’t waste your time. The little containers and cases that they come with are super cool and nice. I do wish Shure included a cleaning stick like westone as sometimes wax gets in the ear tips.

Fit and Comfort:

For me? Perfect. I’m used to IEMs and I could wear these for days. I use the tips that came on them from the factory which is the medium sized Shure foam olives. I did noticed they were slightly different in composition than that of the olives my 315s came with.  They seal very well and are comfortable. Most people are confused at how to put them into their ears the first few times but after you get good it becomes second nature to you.

Source and power:

I often used my Sansa Clip Plus and it was awesome. There was some hiss sometimes from the clips processor but it was fine once music was playing… only sometimes id notice it.

I liked using these with my Bravo V3 tube amp – It added some cool effects and openness from the tube but with super sensitive IEMs like this it’s easy to notice interference that the tube picks up in the air. Like if my cellphone is too close to it. Other than that the Bravo is solid with the 846.

I started avidly using spotify which meant a lot of time on my phone. I have the LG3 and I hate its sound card. There’s so much noise and the sound just feels artificial half the time. I’ve done numerous sound mods and tweaks to it but it’s almost proving useless. I just ordered a Fiio e18 for it so we will see.

I’ve also used the 846 with a Fiio e6. It’s cool but there’s no point.

My favorite source as of right now has to be my Surface Pro 3. For some reason the sound is perfectly balanced with no EQ or anything and clear as day. Also zero noise or hiss at any time at all – it’s amazing.

Would I recommend?

Yes – to an audio enthusiast. To the average consumer – no. The price is too daring for something like these. For the average person I would recommend something like the UM3X as they are very easy to enjoy and affordable now. I do believe that everyone should have nice audio equipment because it adds extra value to your media just as a HD television might but there is a point of diminishing returns for the average user.

For audiophiles I would definitely recommend the 846 as they are a solid investment and will deliver incredible sound and performance for a long time to come. They get everything right.  Sound quality. Customization. Build Quality. Support. Accessories. Even style.

Some people may disagree but I feel satisfied with these. I have actually taken the time to try many other IEMs including the JH Audio Roxxanes which many people consider a step up from the 846 and I didn't see it. But I will say that I didnt have enough time to demo the Roxxanes to definitely say that I would prefer the 846 over them as I simply don't feel as if I have fully experienced other IEMs like that to noticed the small differences.

All in all I hope you liked reading the review and I really hope it gives you a sense of how you feel about the 846. Reviews can be very important and I feel like that people reviewing should take the time to be very specific as it can really effect the buyer’s emotions and feelings.  Another forum member that goes by Mounty Burns helped me decided to get these. He helped me hunt prices and shared his opinions with me via email several times and overall was very encouraging. So I’d like to thank him as well as the academy.

And with that… Happy listening.

Pros: Sounds Great, Isolation, Build

Cons: Cable

Thought that I would post this here as well because peple who search for this should be able to find this easier. Has been reposted from the SE846 thread.

Today I got the chance to listen to some of my friend's gear and compare them to the SE846/DX90. I was particularly curious about the Roxanne, but the IM03 turned out to be a very interesting listen indeed. Here is my comparison of the SE846 and the Roxanne since there hasn't really been an in depth comparison yet. Obviously, YMMV.

JH Audio Roxanne vs Shure SE846 (White Filter)

The Roxanne was very good, and having loaned that pair for a day a while ago, I knew what to expect. When I had them, I absolutely loved the bass and treble, but found the midrange somewhat lacking in clarity and detail. When I heard the SE846 with white filters, I immediately thought that the SE846 was a bit similar to the Roxanne, but the midrange was absolutely the best I have heard on an IEM.

Let's start with the bass, it is hard to compare these two IEMs especially, because both are adjustable. The Roxanne was on a configuration where the impact was around the same as the SE846. I found that although the Roxanne bass was incredible, the SE846 is just better to me. It is faster and more punchy, which I like and has the perfect amount of sub-bass. The Roxanne was great too, but I thought that the SE846's bass was just more realistic.

The midrange was no competition for me, the SE846 takes this hands down. The SE846's midrange is lush, but very detailed at the same time. It has no sibilance and vocal clarity is above everything I have heard. The Roxanne's midrange just felt like it was a bit veiled and overly warm.

The treble was interesting, on the blue filters I would have taken the Roxanne treble over these any day, but with the white filter it is much closer. The SE846's treble is probably a little more pronounced, but both are very detailed and not sibilant at all. I really don;t prefer either, so this is a draw.

The area that the Roxanne is heads and shoulders above the Shure is soundstage and imaging. The Roxanne along with the 1plus2 are the two most headphone like IEMs I have heard in this regard and although the Shure is very competent in this area, the Roxanne is better. The Roxanne's soundstage is more three dimensional and the SE846's soundstage feels a bit flat in comparison. Imaging is also better on the Roxanne, but the SE846 is not far off at all.

The SE846 seems to be a little bit more detailed because it is tuned brighter and is faster, but in reality they are both great, but I do feel like the SE846 pulls ahead a little. Clarity is much better on the SE846 due to the tuning once again. The Roxanne's warm mids does it more harm than good IMO and it sounds too warm for me. The Shure sounds quite neutral and vocals especially are incredibly realistic and accurate. Instrument separation is a bit better on the Roxanne, but the SE846 comes quite close. Vocal separation is a little better on the SE846 for me.

Overall, I do feel like I made the correct decision by going for the SE846 over the Roxanne because personally I like them more, but many people will also disagree with this. One thing is indisputable, however; both of these are extremely good IEMs and are two of the best universal IEMs out there right now.

Sources

Let's get the negatives out of the way first. The AK100 was shocking, and not in a good way. They were warm, had no focus and sounded downright bad. The sound was blurry almost and everything just sounded warm and lifeless. I genuinely do not like this DAP, for the price, the AK100 is simply unacceptable IMO.

Back to more positive impressions, the HM-901 is great! sounds very detailed, the most detailed DAP I have heard without any doubt. The SE846 paired very well. Soundstage and imaging was exceptional and so was clarity and detail. It made the AK100 sound like a cheap toy. However, almost everything has negatives and the HM-901 is certainly no different. The build quality is horrendous, with cheap feeling and looking plastic everywhere. The deal breaker for me was the UI. The HM-901 is slow, unresponsive and hard to navigate through. If HiFiMAN made the HM-901 more usable, then this would be an awesome DAP.

The DX90 is what I am using right now and I love it. It ticks most boxes for me - it is small, light, has decent battery life, sounds good and has multiple outputs. It sounds great for the price too. It is essentially a slightly scaled down HM-901. It isn't quite as good, but is more than makes up for it by being a but better overall package. It pairs just as well with the SE846 as the HM-901 does.

As always, I hoped that this helped and I would love to hear what other people think.

Pros: low/mid bass, mids

Cons: Treble extension, cost

I'll keep this short.

Build quality: 5/5. Looks very solid and durable. The cable seems like it will last a while, and if it doesn't - you get a second one for free anyway. The Y split is very beefy. The jack is also beefy and looks like it will last a long time. The earpieces look durable as well. They have weight to them. They look and feel expensive - and they are. They even have removable metal nozzles. No worries about breaking those tight fitting olives! Well, you might break the olives. Not the nozzles though!

Sound: These things sound great. For this portion I will mostly be referring to their sound with the blue (default) filters. I've owned many top tier universals and these are easily the best in my mind. Their main strengths are the sub bass, mid bass, and mids. The bass is the best I have ever heard from a BA IEM. They reach deep. The sub bass is very very good. It sounds like an excellent dynamic driver down low. The mid bass has great impact and reminds me of the Westone 3 without any negative impact on the mids. The mids are typical Shure. If you love vocals I don't see how you could dislike the SE846. They are pretty much the star of the show, even with the amazing bass response Shure has achieved with this quad BA. Vocals are smooth, sweet, and a bit more up front than neutral. I love their treble but I tend to prefer a laid back sound overall, especially up high. For those who love a bright top end then you probably won't like these much. The treble is there, detailed and non fatiguing but it's not well extended which can cause a lack of airy feeling up top. The white filters remedy this to some extent but they don't help the overall extension much. The white filters add some air and shimmer but overall the extension is about the same. Bass feels a little lessened compared to the blue filters. I never tried the blacks so I can't comment on them.

So, why buy them? If you're looking for a universal with great build quality, looks, amazing bass and dreamy mids - you should absolutely look into the SE846. I think they are a great step up from the SE535 LTD's. Worth $500 more? As always, depends if you can afford it.

Why not buy them? Do you love your treble? Are you a detail lover? Do you find Shure's mids to be too forward? Are you poor? If you fit any of these categories you might want to take a pass and consider the IE800, 1+2, k3003 or customs. If you're poor, you might want to consider 1. A ramen diet or 2. a job. Both will allow you to experience the wonders of top tier IEMS.

Pros: Sound isolation, Good fit, Bass, Clarity

Cons: Price

These are easily the best earphones I've ever had or tried and i have the next two levels down of Shure earphones as well. The sound is like you are right there and with a tight fit earplug it eliminates all ambient sound. Bass is incredible as is clarity and the full bandwidth. You feel immersed in whatever you are listening to whether songs or a movie. Although pricey I would recommend these strongly. Pros: Sound and ambient noise silencing are incredible, as advertised. It's like you are right there, live, at whatever you are listening to. Cons: A bit pricey and I personally never liked the "behind the ear" cord but once you get used to it and mold the cord to your ear, they are fine.

Pros: Bass, Sound quality, Comfort

Cons: None

I tried many different IEMs before deciding on these and could not be happier. One of the things of this earphone that immediately stood out along with the full bodied bass was the beautiful cymbal decay. The ability to distinguish and set the soundstage of each instrument is stunning. I am not an audiophile by any means but do play guitar and drums. As described by so many others, the bass is true subwoofer quality with a depth, tightness and a perfect presence the way it was intended by the artist. I am comparing this to the sound that I have experienced at many concerts. Spend some time with the different tips that are supplied to make sure you get the right fit which is so important. I run this straight out of iTouch at the gym, Andoid Phone with PowerAmp and BitHead Amp for travel and the AudioEngine D3 off the laptop. I moved up from the venerable SE530 which gave me many years of great service and that I still listen to from time to time.The SE846 is at a whole different level and are worth the money. If you can afford these, I highly recommend them! These are my third pair of headphones from Earphonesolutions and Flavio and team are top notch! They know their headphones and customer service is second to none! -Henk

Pros: Clarity, Vocals, Bass

Cons: Price

I have listened to many earphones, over the ear "cans", including Bose Noise Cancelling, and nothing, I mean nothing compares to this experience in good listening. I was happy with them when I first received them, but then I started to look up the interchangeable sleeves, and was curious as to what were the differences. The ones that come with the earphones are a neutral, yet tremendous sounding sleeve, but then I curiously looked at the black sleeves, which were labelled "warm". I took about 20 minutes to figure out the way to change them (took my time, since small parts involved and didn't want to break them, or lose anything). I just put them on with the warm "black sleeves", and these bad boys came to life so well, that I had to write my review and not miss the opportunity to describe them to others. I am hearing things on live recordings that I never heard before, including a live "Croz" show that I bought when I went to the NYC Winery on 1/31/13, and I hear him talking to the crowd, the crowd responses, and the clicking of the silverware on a plate, it is that crisp and clear! The base came to life, and the highs are high, mids just right, and I am only at half volume on my player.

I am actually playing these on an Astell and Kern AK100, modified by Vinnie of Red Wine Audio when I first bought it. I am amazed at the clarity and again this is on a high bit mp3 album, and when I put this on the original flac file studio album, I got shivers down my spine. Sheer enjoyment, and the old ear canals can't stop thanking me enough! Shane Fontanes leads are crisper than ever.....and Marcus Eatons accoustic riffs sweet as candy, Crosby vocals like he was in the room with me, and the base/Drum bottom of the band incredible. WOW!

I am happy that I bought them, and recognize that they are a small fortune, but if you love good music, good sound, and clarity, with a comfort that I have not experienced before in my ears, then these are the earphones for you. I would do this in a heartbeat now, after hearing them, and looking back is 20/20 vision always. But I read review after review, after review, and none said anything bad about these. Nothing bad....excepting for a once off this (comfort) and a once off that (one side fitting different than the other, and the solution was to put the different size tips on). Again once off, kept me digging and every time I did, I was overjoyed to hear more and more great things about them. Nobody on the downside was right about these phones, nobody.

I don't work for Shure, and actually don't like the earlier earphones from them. I have had two pair, and still keep an older pair as a spare. I have owned Ultimate Ears, Bose (still have the noise cancelling for trips), Koss Portaphones (several pair and like these for the beach over the ear), and many many others. Never did I find anything that I liked that was "totally satisfactory"! Now I did, and Shure outdid itself with the SE846-CL.

Pros: Subwoofer effect in a compact housing, Excellent bass, Transparency, Clarity, Mids

Cons: Slightly large, Expensive

At the beginning of my journey, I couldn't fathom myself spending so much on an IEM. I was and still am an enthusiast. The title of "audiophile" is something that still eludes me. I don't know all the linguo, nor do can I discern the most minute differences between IEMs. What I do know is that I had a moment when I put on these headphones for the first time. The bass on these are nothing short of extraordinary. I frankly did not expect this type of performance from something so compact. Shure set out to mimic the performance of a subwoofer in a housing that's the size of the tip of your finger, a tough task, yet they succeeded, and then some. The bass is powerful and convincing, but not at the expense of the higher frequencies. You will get those great vocals, and you will be able to pick out almost every detail. Shure's mid-centric signature is still here, but the SE846's greatest strength is in that groundbreaking bass.  I've never been a bass-head. Heck, I was never one for much bass in my music. While I did indulge in it from time to time, I usually preferred to have it accentuate the mids and highs. That is until I heard the SE846, which taught me that one doesn't always have to listen to what they're comfortable with. There are times when you'll think you've felt everything you want to feel, and you'll be happy with never feeling something new again. But your tastes will evolve and change, and you will learn to appreciate new things, even when you thought you already knew what you wanted.

Pros: Amazing sound ( Mids and Lows are amazing ), Olive tips works wonders on isolation, nice packaging, superb build quality, customizing frequency respon

Cons: Price ( but the performance kinda makes up for it ) , design ( doesn’t give out that $999.00 feel, can’t really show off in public, just saying ) * Th

Before I begin with my review of the Shure SE846, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to give it a try or read some other people’s review to get a clearer picture of the IEM, as my opinions are not absolute and other ears might have listened differently

Build: Durable build, you can actually feel that this IEM can take quite a beating but then who doesn’t take care of its flagship IEM like a baby right? Its comfortable wearing these IEMs, the shape of the SE846 sits perfectly on my ears. Although, the olive tips, after wearing a long period of time, kinda hurts my ears, due to the constant expanding of the foams. Metal nozzles are great, least if your Olives breaks, your nozzle still stays. The cables are durable ( least from the looks of it ) but if the stock cable somehow malfunctions, there’s a second cable that comes together with the SE846 ( 64” and 46” ) also it comes with a variety of ear tips ( olives, triple flanged, standard silicone and yellow foam ) , airline and 1/4" adapter and a volume control, packaged into an amazing, prestigious looking box.

Sound quality: Amazing sound, the SE846 nails the mids and lows, jazz songs sound great, with the True Subwoofer that the low-pass filter gives, you can actually hear the strings of the bass being plucked than just the usual splashy bass sound. Highs however, is quite there, but it’s not as good as what Final Audio’s IEMs can produce. Well nothing is perfect, so I can look pass that, not a big issue. Also the audio  fidelity that this earphone produces when I connect it on my Centrance DACport is just amazing, listeing to Celine Dion 's Power of Love on DSD format is just mesmerising.

Soundstage:The SE846's soundstage is more or less a "V" shaped soundstage, not exactly wide and not narrow either.

True Subwoofer: Remember me saying that this IEM is quite EQ dependent? Yes, it is, if you fully utilize the low-pass filter, on no EQ done, the IEM’s mids and highs are there like it supposed to, but the lows, you can feel that the True Subwoofer is there but it can’t really pump out that punchy low bass/sub bass, ( Jayz’s Tom Ford is the best way to test this IEM’s Highs,Mids and Lows )  listening to Jayz’s Tomford on my Sony ZX1 without any equalization, the bass sounds “weak” and in metaphor, like a caged beast, you know that the True Subwoofer is some crazy **** on the SE846 but it’s not revealing itself. Therefore I tweaked the EQ “ Clear Bass for the Sony ZX1 “ Listened to Jayz’s Tomford again, the bass is so so much more defined, solid and going strong ( EDMs sounds amazing on the SE846 with the EQ ), tight, defined bass, even listening to Jazz is different with the EQ on. The sub bass is amazing, but on super low bass, you might be able to hear subtle crackle sounds ( Happened when I listened to Jayz’s ****withmeyouknowIgotit ) I guess the True Subwoofer have its limits, but other than that, it’s amazing.

Interchangeable Filters: It comes with a bright ( white ) neutral ( blue ) and warm ( black ) filters for you to change the frequency response to your liking. The neutral filter, as said is neutral and how the SE846 suppose to sound like, the bright filter, once installed, the mids and highs are very defined, vocals are clearer and the warm filter makes the mids and highs sounds a little dimmer, just slight not too much. So far I'm using the neutral filter as it suits my listening.

Verdict : The SE846 is indeed an amazing IEM, well done Shure, on developing this amazing IEM.

PS :  I would like to compliment Jaben Malaysia for their amazing customer service, by far the best audio hardware store that I've visited in Malaysia so far, good store mood, great customer service and people are just as enthusiastic as I am on audio products.

SE846 Link :

Happy Listening :)

Pros: Bass, sub bass, mids, customizable highs, build quality, company strength, accessories, aesthetics

Cons: No mobile version cable for phone control

Will keep this short.....

They cost a grand because......, well -THAT'S WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You get what you pay for, and when you pay 1000.00 for a pair of IEMS, this is what you get.

Bass that you feel deep down and low.  True subwoofer performance.  Amazing bass/sub bass.  Mids are fantastic and Highs, for me, are spot on.

These things make my massive music collection new again. Hearing things in songs I never heard before.  The detail, the clarity and realism are second to none.  They far out perform my W40s.

This is a game ender for me.  The search is over.  All I have to do now is sit back and enjoy my music.

Think the price is high?  Compared to what?  Golf clubs?  Go to one of the online audio shops that offer 24 month interest free financing.  For 41.00 a month, it will be the best money you ever spent.

Pros: Sound like SE535 which means excellent for me

Cons: 250% price penalty not offering a substantially better sound

Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not bother about upgrades anymore. My setup is a Cowon Z2 attached to an ALO audio Rx Mark3-B, and both headphones equipped with new triple-flanges, which perfectly isolate my ears for a good bass response. I think I am experienced enough with top quality headphones to judge on subtle headphone characteristics and the overall performance, though I am by no means a geek with an unlimited dollar setup.

My overall impression is simple: Even after repeatedly listening into different songs, I simply could not determine *any* difference with my current SE535. I definitely would fall through in a blind-folded hearing test. The same level of details in the high/mid-range, no massive bass improvement which I was seeking for, no difference in the spatial sound stage. After putting back in again my 535s, trying to identify any weakness I simply could not hear it.

Another thing that stroke me: The 846s initially fit better in my ears than the 535s (they are a bit blown up). However, after half an hour, the left one started hurting. Ears are so sensitive towards even the smallest discomfort.

As a result, I decided to send them back - unfortunately.

Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone
By:

Manufacturer Description: Available August 2013 The latest addition to the award-winning Shure Sound Isolating™ Earphone line, the groundbreaking SE846 combines precision engineering and innovative technology in a sophisticated design for the most discerning audio enthusiasts. QUAD HIGH-DEFINITION MICRODRIVERS WITH TRUE SUBWOOFER For extended high-end clarity and unparalleled low-end performance Four custom-engineered, balanced armature drivers tailored to blend precisely with each other Three-way system configuration for dedicated low-, mid-, and high-frequency distribution PATENT-PENDING DESIGN FOR UNPARALLELED LOW END Groundbreaking low-pass filter enables low-end roll-off at ~3 dB at 90 Hz (~10 dB at 250 Hz), the previously unattainable deep low-end performance of a true subwoofer, without sacrificing clarity or detail Ten precision-welded, stainless steel plates form 4 inches of high acoustic mass pathway, naturally enabling low-frequency roll-off to begin at about 75 Hz without distortion or artifacts For a complete description see - http://www.shure.com/americas/news-events/coming-soon/se846-sound-isolating-earphones

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone