Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Shure SE215 › Shure SE215 Reviews

Shure SE215 Reviews

jeremychin91

A bit overated

Pros: Noise Isolation,Comfort,Bassy

Cons: Build Quality,Soundstage,Word fading in the body

I owned a SE215 without a month and I discovered the word SHURE already began to fade...OMG! I am so depressed with the quality control.They should keep an eyes on their qc...Really sucks.The sound is not clear and muddy.
cuiter23

Top Contender under $100

Pros: Good bass quantity, Smooth vocals, Outstanding build quality

Cons: Overall sound resolution, Bass is slightly boomy, Treble extension lacking

Before reading below, Please check out my in-depth YouTube review of the Shure SE215 as well! Please support my new channel by clicking "like" and sharing it with your friends :)     Background Information   Before I begin, I picked these up at my local music store for $99 CAD. They currently retail for $124 CAD and I believe $99 USD. Street and used prices vary widely with the SE215s.   First of all the reason I rate the SE215 4/5 stars is primarily because of the value it presents under the $100 mark. You will be extremely hard pressed to find a pair of IEMs at this price with such rugged build quality along with its very likeable Shure house sound. Although...
damianmb

They just break..

Pros: Sound

Cons: Quality Control... or defect in the design?

I barely used them... got one pair and a few months later the left earpiece started cutting sound. The retail shop opened them and did a messy job, were working and then stopped. Got a 2nd pair, same issue.   Please don't buy them. I got a SE535 and they don't seem to have any problem, time will tell.   I'm writing half star because so many people have this issue too... cannot write anything about the sound if they keep breaking.
Dinerenblanc

Shure can do.

Pros: Clarity, Great Mids, Detachable Cables, Comfort, Flush Design

Cons: Rolled-off Treble

Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its exceptional performance in the mids and its welcoming warm profile. While not as bass heavy as its counterparts, its still plenty serviceable. The treble is a tad rolled off, but this is common with IEMs in this tier. Additionally, the building quality is superb. There's an adequate amount of stress relief on the cables, and the cables themselves are detachable; a feature rarely seen in earphones at this price. As an added bonus, the earpiece sits flush against your ear, allowing you sleep with...
SawItComing

Good Pricing, Good Performance

Pros: Reasonable price for a detachable cable IEM, good sound quality, comfy, can sleep with it due to its negative profile fit

Cons: Highs are a little lacking, IEM nozzle looks fragile,cable’s although good but not as good as the clear cables from Shure

Before I begin with my review of the Shure SE215, all of the belows are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the SE215, I suggest to give it a try or read some other people’s review to get a clearer picture of the IEM, as my opinions are not absolute and other ears might have listened differently    Sound: Mids are good on the SE215 but not the best, vocals sounds great, clear and crisp, highs are thin ( I notice a slight muddiness on the highs * maybe it’s just me ) the lows although it’s considered to be bass oriented, but I can’t really feel that this earphone is anywhere bassy, although I have to say that the bass that the SE215 are clear and sounds like a live session...
Dte102

Great IEMs!

Pros: Isolates Great, Glorious Mids, Dem Vocals, Good Bass, Good Fit(Once you find the right tip).

Cons: Highs were okay, Memory Wire was a "Meh"

Hiya! These shures were my first into the world of IEMs and the beginnings of my journey to being an Audiophile. Back then, I was skeptical of Beats(and I was right on track back then) and thought Bose was where it was at.  I owned the Bose IE2 before getting my shure pairs, and after that, entered the realm of the audiophile.  Recently these guys broke after around a year of constantly listening to these, and I'm sad to let them go.  Now I have a Sennheiser IE8 which has about a week of burning in. Which I will be using for comparison.      Sound quality, The Shure's bass doesn't compete with IE8s, but the bass was still there, just never felt as...
squallkiercosa

I hope this will be the future of IEMs

Pros: Decent sound quality, detachable cable, sealed (not vented), strong bass response, reinforced cable, did I mention detachable cables?

Cons: Expensive mic cable, despairing treble response, swiveling mechanism can be annoying, the ear pieces are quite big for the small dynamic driver

I don't consider them nice or even fun thinking about sound, but every time I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend.  The Shure isolates incredibly well, just like an Etymotic without the (tips reaching my brain) sensation. I was amazed to see such an extraordinary achievement in a non-vented dynamic driver. I haven’t heard anything like it (leaving aside BA) The Shure sound natural despite the treble attenuation, guitars sound more or less right but the bass bump is discouraging (not a bass heavy person) A proper description will be like a musician from a pop band: He...
zach8278

Really great price to performance ratio

Pros: Cheapest IEM i've seen with a removable cable, great bass and vocals; Great durability, excellent noise isolation. Optional mic cable

Cons: Treble could be better. Earphone jack could be slimmer

Introduction: My big sister purchased the SE215s from the Shure website a long time ago, so forgive me if I do not know when they were purchased exactly. She ended up giving them to me because she was having some complaints about the earphones giving her headaches... Anyway, I have been listening to them for quite some time now and i thought i could write a review. Let's give it a shot.   Bass: Deep, well extended, and punchy. They nailed it with the bass. I don't have much to say about the bass other than it is great.   Vocals: Rich and detailed. For $99 dollars, they knocked it out of the park by setting a $99 standard for how earphones at this price should sound.  ...
10shot9miss

Great 99 dollar in ears

Pros: Sound isolation, removable cable, confortable for long listening period, well built

Cons: not really, cables are bit too hard

The sound isolation is really good with the sponge ear pieces, IMO better than a few of Sony’s active noise cancelling in ears (maybe active noise cancelling work better for low frequency e.g. during fight) I can hardly hear people talking right beside me. It’s also quite confortable. I won’t comment on the sound since it has dynamic drivers, out of the box it sounds average, give it some time and the sounds should improve quite a bit. Real good earphones!   Update: i thought these are going to sound better after burn in, but it dosen't, still sounds bit dark.
Krisman

Overrated - too fussy about what music is being played

Pros: Bass detailing

Cons: Mids completely lack details, flat soundstage, harsh treble with a nasty metallic upper treble range

My rating may at first appear harsh but I just want to clarify up front that it is an absolute subjective rating not comparative.   I really thought these would blow me away given all I have read about these but once again Shure have failed to live up to the hype. I cannot argue that the price is very attractive given the build quality and fantastic comfort but that does not influence my feelings on the sound character of these.   In summary I found the following: Highs - Nasty metallic 'piercing' sibilance with a lot of tracks not matter what was driving them (iBasso DX50, Xperia Z, FiiO E17, Denon MC6000 etc.) There is a good amount of detail but these were so...