Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Shure SE215 › Reviews › Existence's Review

Shure SE215 LTD (Blue) [non bias]

A Review On: Shure SE215

Shure SE215

Rated # 2 in Universal Fit
Existence

Pros: AMAZING sound, flat profile (can sleep with earphones, finally), value for quality, not much cons, good cable connector, removable cable

Cons: Expensive acessories, hard to fit (takes a few moments of stupidness to fit them to ear after storage), thick cable splitter

It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit.
The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the silicone. Isolation is effected as can be expected.

I bought the SE215ltd from Headphonic.
Cost me $139.00, best purchase in audio I've ever made.
This almost completely knocks out my V-MODA M100 and V-MODA XS out the water. I wish I got these sooner.
If you fit them improperly, they're amazingly uncomfortable. This is probably where the bad reviews come in, because they don't read the manual.

I don't think you could get better quality than this, realistically speaking. Yes, through a DAC, but the SE215's seem like a waste of money because you can get a great package with the 215's for half the price. I feel as if the 215's should have the price raised. I've listed to Fitear oneplustwo's courtesy of @Anakchan , and even though it compares nothing to Fitear, it's still a very nice canalphone.

Songs used - (First we'll do without my DAC)

Flume & Chet Faker - Left Alone [FLAC]
Vocal progression to center is very nice. The bass and beat hits hard, comes crashing and I can almost imagine it hitting a floor and breaking, that's what I hear. The vocals when Chet starts the chorus have a tiny bit too much treble, but with burn in they should be perfect. No complaints so far.

Chet Faker - Cigarettes and Loneliness [FLAC]
First up, I love this track. Love it, love it. The.. Triangle? instrument at the start is how it should be, at the back, then the guitar hook blends so nicely with the vocals but is a bit harsh on the vocs, I'd rather a bit less treble but keep the vocals the same.
The vocals are amazing, almost. It's that little bit of treble sparkle that gets me. I could EQ and amp but realistically the point of IEMs is not to.

Ta-ku - I Miss You [FLAC]
Passive sound, as to be expected by the Shures as its meant as a monitor, to monitor sound. I like it. It's passive, as the song is meant to be. Violins aren't really present because of the SE's sparkly treble.

Ta-ku - We Were In Love [FLAC]
Vocals at the start are prominent. Violins are a lot more into this track? Seems strange. Drums are amazing, everything sounds lifelike... Almost. I thoroughly enjoy the SE's, and believe in burn in, I haven't burned them in yet.

PALMCO - SALT [FLAC]
Vocals are clear and almost lifelike, it's on a barrier of being lifelike and reproduced. Tones from this chill track just roll of and it's very very satisfying. Since the SE215's have a flat profile, means I could fall asleep to this track.

Melech - Hate God [FLAC]
If I close my eyes, I could easily trick myself to believe that Melec is in the same room as me. I'm kind of scared for the DAC trials. It's perfect, everything about the song is in the IEMs. The comfort is surreal, I haven't stopped wearing them for 4:30hrs since I bought them.

Okay, we move onto the DAC stage. I lost my E17 in the mail, so I bought another. Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. Here it goes.

Flume & Chet Faker - Left Alone [FLAC]
Everything I just said. But 10 times better. The vocs shine, I can't really find fault in the treble at all. There's a bit of clipping, I turned it down and it seems to have stopped. The frequency has increased and I can't hear as much, either that or I'm going deaf. Carpe Diem. I just wish the E17 was as slim as an iPod touch so I could carry it everywhere.

Chet Faker - Cigarettes and Loneliness [FLAC]
Chet's vocals came out clean, but I'm not sure if I like it. Without a DAC, it's a bit dirtier of a vocal, and I like that. The intro is my favorite bit, with the intro vocs, and the Shure / E17 combo nailed it.

PALMCO - SALT [FLAC]
The DAC doesn't really do much but make the sound cleaner and smoother for this track. It makes it less fatiguing and easier to sleep to.

Melech - Hate God [FLAC]
Melec's vocals shine. Amazingly. It sounds almost like he's in the studio booth and I'm hearing the live recording of his voice. I love it.

I don't have much energy to write a full review on the DAC side, but basically almost everything said was subsidized and all the problems disappeared with the DAC. Next up I'm going to buy a good DAC, as the E17 is okay but clips due to the quality.

Throw me a PM if you want to know more.

The guy who served me was great and it was a nice drive down to pick them up. I'm so happy with my SE's as I went from mid/low end in ears to an actual canalphone. Couldn't be better, can't get over the comfort and the sound!!!!

I prefer IEMs now over headphones. I hate the effort it takes to wrap cables, carry cases when you can have the IEM and be done with it. There's so many cables you can get for the SE215, you wouldn't really need over or on ear phones again with this quality of IEM, talking about mid-range headphones but everyone's preference is different.

I was partially drunk while writing this review. My wallet isn't happy, but I am.

Nice review. Agreed on how these punch above their price point. Still a very relevant pair of IEMs despite new competition like the IM70 from ATH which sound better to my ears but definitely loses out on build and fit. No regrets getting a used pair of the old 215s for jogging and gym. Still going strong after 3 years.

Disagree on foam tips killing the bass though. Quite the opposite for me.
Foam tips for me just don't cut it.
Brought out my E17 with a LOD for my iPhone 5, it's like half a DAC haha. The low end is increased this way, but what annoys me the most is the GOD DAMN cable at the back of your ear, with the flimsy 'memory wire' which makes it annoying to take off. Easy fix, buy the FiiO cable. Doing so, will post impressions. Stock cable costs way too much to replace, build quality is eh, rather get a silver / gold plated Teflon cable that's braided.
The stock cable is quite meh but is pretty hardy. I never believed in spending more or even an equal amount for a cable than the actual IEM/Headphone itself. Doesn't make sense to me. Fiio or Oyaide cables, both less than 60usd I think, would be the only change I would do for a 215.