Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Shure E4c-n Sound Isolating Earphones (Black)

Shure E4c-n Sound Isolating Earphones (Black)

Pros: good isolation, warm, friendly mids, bargains can be had

Cons: Shure cables. God I hate you Shure for your cables.

I like this phone so much I am onto my second pair. Are they perfect? No. Are they the best IEM for the price? Unless you get them at $79 like I did the second time, no. Do they have a good soundstage? Not really. Are they durable? Like a boat made of paper.

But...Do they isolate well? With the Shure olives, hell yes. Do they have delicous, buttery mids that I could and have listened to for hours on end? Yes. Are they comfortable and easy to insert/remove? Definitely.

If you like those things, consider these.

Pros: Price / Performance, Sonic Fidelity, Comfort

Cons: Wear and Tear

These little guys sound amazing for the money - does require about 24hrs of burn-in before things loosen up and sound right.  Even, full bass due to the added port over the E3's.  This was my second pair after the cable separated from bud after about 1-year's regular usage.  The second pair died the same way.

Unfortunately Shure botched the design in the new versions which don't sound nearly as good, and are larger so they don't fit smaller ears anymore.  It's too bad because these were a real winner.  All that was needed was to improve the bud / cable connection and I think it could have been a timeless piece like an SM-57.  Instead the choice was to alienate customers and sacrifice performance in order to engage in unnecessary re-design.  Time to shift brands.

Pros: Great sound, terrific comfort

Cons: Not many.

These are my go-to headphones when I don't want to use my customs.  They are easy to wear, sport all-day comfort, provide reasonable isolation-- to excellent if you buy the foam inserts, and are a full-range in-ear monitor lacking very little, and a steal for the price.  I own 3 pairs.

I keep a pair of these in my bag at all times.  They come in a round zippered case that's quite protective and unzip in a second.  If I need to grab a quick listen to something, these never let me down.

Construction is good, but about every two or three years I have to send a pair back for refurbishing from Shure.  The wires are a bit thin, but they have never separated like my e5's.

Balance is the word that best describes this set of headphones.  They have excellent clarity, a reasonable soundstage, and decent bass extension (though not necessarily impressive).

In baseball terms-- these are like lead off hitters.  They consistently get on base and score runs, but they're never going to knock anything out of the park.  They do their job, do it very well, and get on with their business.  They're extremely comfortable.  You hardly realize you're wearing them, meaning you can have them in literally all day and never fatigue.

There are better sounding earbuds out there, no question.  I have a full range of Shure buds at my disposal, but these are the one's I most reach for, and I feel are essential to my kit.

They do everything well, and can be found for under $200 dollars at times.  I have fancier rigs, but for everyday listening and getting work done-- you can't beat them.

Pros: Superb sound quality. Pretty comfortable once you get used to them.

Cons: Slowly fall out of my ears and need to be adjusted every 5 or 10 min (That's when being perfectly still...if I'm moving around, it's every min or so.)

Pros: -very detailed trebe

Cons: -poor bass

excellent treble and midrange, treble very detailed, the bass is a bit small but very responsive to EQ to increase the bass, the media are also very good, maybe in my life now is not heard many headphones but they are the best I've heard

Pros: Very detailed yet relaxed presentation with sub par inputs (like my phone or MacBook Pro)

Cons: For what they are, haven't really found any.

Had these things for a while now, and still use them with almost anything that has a headphone jack attached to it.  My phone, my old iPod, my iPad, my pc, my laptop, and they always find a way to sound really wonderful.

I'm not gonna lie and say I'm some headphone guru.  I'm not.  But i LOVE headphones.  Cheap ones, expensive ones, gaming ones...i mess with them all.  I've owned grados, senns, sonys, denons, AKG's, Beyers...really could have bought a car with how many headphones I've owned in my lifetime (a house, if you include all the headphones my family and friends pass down to me).

Point being, I've heard alot.  Not all good, but most headphones sound good as follows...with the right input, on the right music, listening the right way...etc.

The Shure's sound good on everything.  I have yet to plug them into an input that made them sound bad!  They just make music...never forcefully, always relaxed and full, without any irritating edge or bite to the sound, yet always giving the impression that you can hear into the mix as deeply as you want.  The better the source, the better the music gets.  Key word...MUSIC...not headphones...cause they're always good.

I've owned more detailed and resolving headphones.  But they're far more finicky, and seem to do some music good, some bad.  The Shure's do everything well.  All types of music.  Ample bass and drive for rock, good sustain and warmth for vocals, and enough detail for piano and jazz.

I have a box in my garage that is filled with headphones.  I have exactly two pairs NOT in that box.  The first is a pair on Senn 600's, that I hook up occasionally when I feel like breaking out my headphone amp.  The second are these, and they're on my ears anytime I'm outside my listening room/office (sometimes, while I'm in there, as well)

Really no complaints can be made about these, for how good they do everything.  The only in ears I've heard that were better are the e5's, and they're just to big for me.  For the size, and every limitation the size would seem to impose, I've yet to do better than these for the way I like to hear music.  I forget they're on most of the time, except when my phone plays a song I haven't heard in a while, and I catch myself hearing something I never heard before...then I smile.

What I won't say is that they're the best for everyone.  While I think anyone would like these alot, some people like a more exciting, up front and present sound, so those people can probably do better.  But, for me, they've been glorious!

Shure E4c-n Sound Isolating Earphones (Black)
By:

In sleek black, to go with some of today's newest MP3 and other audio players. The cutting-edge industrial design of the E4c is a breakthrough in sound isolating earphone technology. Ideal for the business traveler and on-the-go audiophile, the High-Definition Driver with Tuned Port Technology delivers brilliant highs and extended bass that enhance your listening experience with your portable MP3, DVD, and CD players as well as all other audio sources. The E4c's in ear design works like an earplug to block background noise naturally. This enables you to listen comfortably at lower volumes-even in loud environments. And unlike bulky headphones utilizing active noise cancellation technology, no artifacts are introduced into your listening experience. Sound isolating earphones are also much smaller and don't require batteries. E4c Sound Isolating Earphones feature High-Definition drivers with Tuned Port Technology for incredible audio reproduction. As the ideal companion to any portable or home audio source, the E4c's Tuned Port design improves airflow around the driver to deliver professional-grade sound with extended bass response. The E4c comes with a stylish, compact carrying case, providing a convenient, tangle-free way to store your earphones. Also included is a level attenuator, to control volume level for comfortable listening from any high-output audio source, such as airplane armrests.

BindingElectronics
BrandShure
ColorBlack
EAN0042406136310
FeaturePersonal fit kit to contour to your ear size - earphones won't fall out while you're exercising.
Weight0.07 pounds
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameHEADPHONES
PublisherShure
StudioShure
TitleShure E4c-n Sound Isolating Earphones (Black)
UPC042406136310