Not crystal clear

Sennheiser RS 180 Wireless headphones with docking station

Rated # 4 in Wireless
Wireless Range
bxpressiv

Pros: Sound reproduction, range, comfort

Cons: Audio hum/interference

When I got these I had a set of HD-25s which I've had for a decade and I expected the same superior quality from Sennheiser, however I'm quite disappointed. I really want to love these headphones, I really do, but the interference in the headphones really destroys the experience.

The build quality is good and very lightweight so I can easily watch a movie and remain comfortable, however it is plasticy feeling so they may not be very durable if they're not treated well . The buttons are difficult to locate by feel alone so I have to take them off my head most times to make volume adjustments. The base station which acts as the charging cradle is stable and easy to use.

These have really on been used in bed for watching TV shows and movies and for the sounds that are meant to be there I was blown away. Instruments in songs are very noticeable and sharp and to my feeble ears everything sounds well balanced.

But to the dealbreaker: The worst part about these headphones is the audible hum/white noise which can be heard even in moderate volume scenes. If it wasn't for this I would give the sound quality 5/5 but this hum is unacceptable. I isolated the headphones and base station to remove interference, I sit a couple of meters away from the basestation and I had the headphones replaced, and still the hum remained.

I don't have the best hearing in the world and I'm not an audiophile but to me when there is silence in a TV show or movie, then there should be silence in my ears. These headphones could not produce that with an audio hum always present. So in summary, if I had the money in my pocket again, I probably wouldn't buy these without seeing if there were better options available.

Recommendation:
Only buy wireless headphones if you REALLY REALLY must buy them. You will get superior sound quality with no interference in a set of wired headphones half the price.

Note:
Just to give you an idea, I also have a Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound which suffers from no interference when using my computer, however the sound reproduction isn't as good as the Sennheiser RS-180 headphones.

Comments: