Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone › Reviews › dweaver's Review

Rich and full sounding headphone

A Review On: Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone

Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone

Rated # 11 in On-Ear
Posted · Updated · 38975 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: solid sub-bass, enjoyable well rounded signature.

Cons: on ear design can be slightly uncomfortable - mediocre isolation

Sennheiser Momentum On Ear

I bought the Momentum On Ear (MOE) on a bit of a whim and mistaken thought I could return them if not satisfied. So not really an auspicious start to a headphone aside from getting them at a good price compared to retail. I honestly thought I was just going to end up returning them.
Buy upon initial listen I have to admit I have been surprised by them. Bit before I get into their sound let's talk about the headphones physical attributes first.
Build quality of the MOE is absolutely top notch. The headphones exudes quality construction and design and every color looks good in my opinion. Being traditionalist I bought the black/red model for myself but was tempted by the red and white models I'm the store as well. The cables are a but thin but non micro phonic and the button are easily distinguished and feel good on the microphone cable. I also love the fact the microphone cable works with my android phone minus the volume controls. I also love the case and bag that come with the kit buy have to admit o will likely use the cloth bag alone more often than not.

I find the headphone very comfortable worn around the neck when not being used as I walk around. When being used the comfort is good but not perfect as I do find my ears getting sore after an hour or so. But these are one of the more comfortable on ear headphones I have tried or owned as I can wear them for several hours with only a minimal level of discomfort. The added comfort does come at the cost of isolation though. Walking around the mall, I found these woefully inadequate at keeping the noise at bay. So if isolation is important you will want a different headphone. In comparison the Keff M500 these feel more secure on head and slightly more isolating. In comparison to the Mikros 90 they are less clamping but due to the M90 fit similar in comfort overall but they have significantly less isolation.

So how do they sound? In a sentence, they are rich and full sounding with a small dip in the midrange. I find I can listen to them for hours with pretty much any genre I listen to.

Bass - This is the strongest part of the sound signature but not in an obnoxious or over bearing fashion. They have excellent sub bass and only a very modest mid-bass hump. The bass is not loose bit also is not to punchy. It has a smidge of boominess to it that can be overwhelming with some songs. In my testing I have only a couple of tracks that have bothered me though.

Midrange - The midrange is a bit recessed in comparison to the bass and the lower treble but not enough that I felt cheated. It is clear and mostly unaffected by the mid-bass with a slightly warm tilt to it.

Treble - is strongest in the lower treble and gently rolled off in the upper treble. This has a tendency to make these occasionally sound hot/ harsh for some cymbal crash heavy music but generally speaking very easy to listen to for your extended sessions.

The overall detail of this headphone is not as resolving or transparent as some other head phones like the Mikros 90 or Kefff M500 but it is more detailed than most of the Monster brand headphones I have heard in the same price range. I find the detail is good enough that I only miss it when doing direct A/B comparisons to a detailed headphone.

The sound stage is of a decent size and better than average compared to other on ear headphones. Due to the slightly recessed midrange the sound stage is middle row of a small venue in regards to placement.

Overall I find these to be an excellent consumer oriented headphone that will please most people. The bass may be over powering for head-fi members who have grown accustomed to more controlled bass though, if you prefer tight bass or a neutral sound and more detail then you should look into something like the Mikros 90

1 Comment:

Thanks for this review, dweaver!