Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Sennheiser IE800 › Sennheiser IE800 Reviews

Sennheiser IE800 Reviews

Positive Reviews

Art inTampa

Sennheiser IE800 vs Shure SE846 vs JH 16 Pro and others

Pros: Amazing soundstage, incredible detail, deep impactful bass, very comfortable even for long periods, easy to drive, sound good even at low volume!

Cons: Price

After reading glowing reviews of both of these in ear monitors I was still unable to decide which one would be right for me so I bought both, first the Shure and a few weeks later the Sennheiser. I already own the JH Audio 16 Pro, Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro, HiFi Man HE-500, Sennheiser  HD 650, Shure SRH940 among others. My music files are all in FLAC format and I play them through an Astell & Kern AK120 and also used a Samsung Galaxy S4 for comparison purposes. To boost the signal for some of my headphones I use an ALO Rx Mk2, a Schitt Lyr, and a JDS Labs O2 headphone amplifier.   I begin this review with the following disclaimer, since we all have different tastes in...
scoyig

The best IEMs I've ever heard!

Pros: Superb bass, gorgeous mids, smooth-yet-sparkling highs, expansive soundstage, excellent imaging, very comfortable

Cons: Microphonics, no remote/mic included, short cord

The IE800 are the best IEMs I have ever tried. This includes the Shure SE846 & 535, Audeo PFE232, AKG 3003, JH13 and JH16 and many others. I also prefer their sound to many full size cans like the beyerdynamic DT-880, T70, T90; Sennheiser Momentum, HD650; Shure SRH1840 etc. The closest I've heard to the amazingly balanced sound of the IE800 is the LCD-2 rev 2, which I also own.   The critical thing to note is how cohesive and musical the soundscape is -- these excel with all genres of music that I've tried, from rock to jazz, acoustic to classical/orchestral, electronic to metal. It's laid back when you need it to be, and it can push out the PRaT like crazy when that's...

Negative Reviews

ag8908

Sounds good, but you should run away from this and its inconsiderate and inacceptable design flaws

Pros: Good spatial imaging for an IEM; good sound; very comfortable and easy to put on

Cons: barely isolates at all (!); line noise (!); chord too short; even the case is designed poorly

Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM.   Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one of the songs I use to test headphones is Michael Jackson's The Way You Make Me Feel. One of the key parts I listen for is that initial drum blast. On this, it sounds very close to the way it sounds on the HD800, except it's just missing a little bit. Moving on to a treble heavy song, it sounds similar to the HD800, but slightly muddier and the highs seem a little rolled off. Something is missing with the mids/voices as well -- they seem a little bit more distant. In general, it sounds like...
Neotelos

Amazing sound, unacceptable ergonomics!

Pros: Neutral mids, amazing clear lows, great highs! Great soundstage for such a small driver!

Cons: Where do I begin...they fall out, they don't fit, cord's too short, insane microphonics...never before have I heard my own heartbeat while resting.

You can read tons of reviews actually discussing the audio aspects of this set, I'll just stick to saying the lows are unforgivably clear and they have a great soundstage for IEM's.  They sound amazing!   Anyways, I mainly came to knock these down a peg - be sure these are for you before you buy!  I never realized how bad a high-end IEM could be for me personally.  I've loved my IEM's in the past, even enjoyed some cheap Senn's more than these.    - Horrible microphonics!  Just breathing sends scratching sounds right into my ears!  - Short cord, can't be wrapped behind ears. (Can't detach and replace either!)  - Heavy inline cord...

More Reviews

dan.gheorghe

Best IEM I have ever heard: balanced sound throughout the whole spectrum

Pros: Excellent well extended, tight and punchy bass, amazingly detailed mids, very detailed and sparkly treble without being bright. Good soundstage and positioning.

Cons: Other than price, I couldn't find any.

Hello guys, I have been reading about the IE800 for some time now. I heard people saying it is a mini HD800. That intrigued me, as I love the HD800. I usually hate IEMs for their congested and bassy sound. I also hate sticking something inside my ears, but was curious about Sennheisers' new addition. It seems I am a lucky man,  as last week soundnews.ro asked me if I can write a review for them on their site. Of course I accepted as I love their website. DarKu writes there and I have used it as a reference for many ears. In my opinion, It is the best romanian website about audio. It was an honor and an opportunity I couldn't...
potatoe94

Dynamically Beautiful ; Physically , Sonically .

Pros: Dynamic bass , coherency , comfort , featherweight , good soundstage and imaging.

Cons: a good DAC is required .

This in ear is a marvel . I've hoped around a few Balanced armatures and dynamic drivers , and i've come to love the dynamic drivers alot , regardless of brand or price , dynamic drivers always seems to deliver a more organic , believable , full body sound . this one is no different either . it outperforms many Balanced Armatures in my opinion .  the fit is so discrete , so modest . no fancy large silver housing or anything to tell the entire world that you're wearing a thousand dollar in ear . The construction is so solid , cables that seem like they can take a rough tug . housing that clicks on each other like metal billets . Even the leather case feels premium . The only thing...
hstubc

Incredible sound quality with some design flaws

Pros: Amazing SQ, Excellent soundstage, comfortable to wear, small, light, built like a tank

Cons: Cable makes noise, cable is not replaceable, limited eartip selection

I'll keep this short cause I'm not good at writing reviews.    I just wanted to say that I have tried Shure 846 and I really did NOT like it. The sound from Shure is too condensed with not much soundstage (unlike its full sized cans which sound very nicely!)    These IEMs (IE800s) are the ONLY IEMs that I've tried which sound like a full-sized headphone. You can't go wrong with the sound quality!    Cheers!
obsidyen

The Best IEMs Ever Made

Pros: Amazing all around sound, superb bass, mids and treble, cool and modern design

Cons: Nothing for me. Non-detachable cable might bother some.

I'm not that much of an IEM guy. That said, I needed some IEMs as I sometimes travel. I wanted a good all-rounder, something with which I could listen to music on my phone and also play games on PS Vita.   I didn't want some "decent" IEMs though. I had those (Sennheiser CX-300 II, Audio-Technica ATH-CKX9IS) anyway. I wanted the best IEM out there. I've tried two that are said to be the best, Shure SE846 and Sennheiser IE800. I wanted a universal fit and these were said to be the best. SE846 are also great IEMs but to me they looked weird. IE800s look so cool and they are so small. Yet they sound amazing. I couldn't believe such small drivers could sound so good with any genre....
skfktkwjs

The Best Dynamic Driver IEM

Pros: Sound, Stage, clear image, Heart Thumping Bass, Detail Mids, Crystal Clear High

Cons: Some might find it tooooooo dynamic, little bit laid mid, some might find its too sharp, bright, and edgy.

.Comming soon
Ultrazino

Some Design Flaws Do Not Match the MSRP

Pros: consumer oriented product, nice aesthetics

Cons: unfavorable sound tuning, weird and poor treble reproduction

I like the IE 800. I like *uncomplicated* earphones, those you can easily insert without searching the perfect fit to quickly enjoy music. I'm a fan of the build quality and the nice leather pouch. The earphone sits hardly noticeable in the ear canal and the sound is airy and effortlessly reveals smallest details from its digital source. Yet the small housing blows out an incredibly strong bass that distracts but not overshadows. Sonic flaws can be reduced by low volume.   However, I cannot accept the IE800 as reference. Introduced as in-ear alternative to the big HD 800, officially marketed as high-end product, it falls short of expectations. Sound is *special* and thus...