Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Sennheiser IE80 › Sennheiser IE80 Reviews

Sennheiser IE80 Reviews

jnxr

Warning, now entering audiophile territory!

Pros: Amazing Sound Quality, Tunable Bass, Replaceable Cables, Great Micro-phonics, Excellent build quality, Looks, Value for Money, 2 Year Guarantee

Cons: The housing is a bit huge. If you seek isolation, the stock tips will not cut it for you.

Anyone aspiring to be an audiophile would have heard the name of these IEMs, they are one of the very best around and only a few are in the same league as this one. The IE80 was released a few years ago, following the IE8 which was for a long time, the best that Sennheiser had to offer in this regard. Lets cut the introduction short. This review is not an Audiophile perspective. Its just my experience after one years usage. While it may not give you side by side comparisons with rival products, it will give you an idea of what the IE80 truly is. Short version of review: ------------------------ If I had to tell you about the IE80 in one line, then I would say, you will not be...
Sam Edwards

Great Phones

Pros: Great, neutral sound balance

Cons: Very sensitive to correct position in ears/pad choice

I count myself really lucky. I was convinced that these phones were too treble-ey and didn't have good bass. I tried some after market foam pads and the bass just came pouring out of them. This led me to experiment further and found that the black foam pads that came with them gave a very neutral, but full sound. I am very glad that I didn't write a review before because it would have been unfair.  I used the IE80's to compare a Meridian Explorer DAC to a AK120 DAP and I must say the differences between these high quality sources was immediately apparent. You can hear very deeply into the recording with both. Great IEM's.  Before I got these sorted out I was fitted for the...
minhquancanon7d

very enjoyable, relax sound

Pros: sound, detachable cable, build quality, brand,modable,tuning feature

Cons: fit, recessed mids, most accessories are useless

very relax sounding IEM, great for relaxing, fit is awkward if u have small ears, accessories are tons but most are useless, tape mod is good! Recommended
Kiln

Good IEM

Pros: variable bass, detachable cable

Cons: isolation, carry case

IE80 has a warm sound overall,crisp high and punchy bass. The "bass knob" was the best part for me since I am not a basshead so I only turn the knob to halfway. many people said the main issue was isolation but it really depends on where u used it, for me the isolation was enough in train and buses(maybe I dont like total isolation). To me the carrying case seems to be too big for IEMs
omegaprime

Good IEMs

Pros: rich and warm sound, gd bass, clear, sweet treble

Cons: isolation, not comfortable enough, not detail enough

This is my first high-and in-ear monitor. It changed my hobby. IE80 made me realized the difference between crappy earphones and good earphones is huge. I'm addicted to audio stuff now...and it all begins with this stunning earphone.
Tangster

Disappointing stock. Quite nice modded.

Pros: Bass, soundstage

Cons: Fit, mids

The retail package for the IE 80 is one of the most impressive IEM packages I've seen. The IEMs are nicely presented and the brushed aluminium box looks very sleek. Opening the box confirms this with a the box despite being plastic with aluminium faceplates seems very well constructed and more than adaquetely protects the IEMs themselves although the L shaped 3.5mm connector can be difficult to fit into the case. The included tip selection is very wide. However for me, this is where the problems began. The tips selection, while wide, is still subpar in design, with many of the buds themselves seems to be designed for freakish ear canals, a fact not helped by the wide nozzle design of...
ayang02

Amazing IEM with broad soundstage

Pros: comfortable, swappable cables, great bass

Cons: sound isolation

I've had this IEM for 3 months. It has won me over with its broad soundstage. I must say, please do swap the original cables with more capable ones; it makes a huge difference.
Bloodstriker

Excellent

Pros: Soundstage, detail

Cons: isolation, bloated bass

After two weeks of daily use, I feel I "get" what this IEM is all about now. It's a great IEM for all types of recordings and music. I've run everything through it on my iPhone 5 (no external DAC/Amp) via iTunes and FLAC via Capriccio. I have been doing comparisons between the IE 80, Sennheiser CX880i and Klipsch Reference S4i.   There is no competition. The IE80 wins on all fronts except isolation, which I'll get into later.   Design: 4.5/5 This is completely subjective, but I love the look of the IE 80. The brushed metal looks fantastic. There are some great features included such as the adjustable bass knobs, detatchable wires, large assortment of tips,...
amoc

Great IEM

Pros: Amazing Sound Stage, Good Bass and comfortable in ear

Cons: Sound Isolation

I recently purchased the Sennheiser IE80 IEM’s and I am delighted I did. The sound stage from these is amazing and open up my music in ways I didn’t think were possible. It really has added to the enjoyment of all of my music and has quickly become my preferred way to listen to my entire audio library. I was concerned about comfort with extended use, but I have to say that it really is not a problem and I can forget they are even in my ears and just concentrate on the music. The sound isolation while not perfect is more than acceptable and could probably be improved with the choice of a different ear tips. All up I am happy to recommend these to anyone who wants to really enjoy...
SennHI808

My new favorite IEM

Pros: Great sound, many tips, look awesome, great fit

Cons: A bit pricey

I just received my ie80's and am pretty blown away by how they can reproduce sound. I was pretty hesitant about getting IEM's but an upcoming trip had me start to look into it. After many reviews and write-ups I finally settled on the ie80's, I really like Sennheiser as well so my decision could have been a bit persuaded. At this point I am done with over the ear cans and am a new huge fan of IEM's, the sound is just presented in a whole new way! I am now getting impressions and will be ordering customs ASAP. Thanks for everyone who steered me in the right direction. Mahalo!