Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Sennheiser IE 7 Earphones › Reviews › akgK340owner's Review

Counterfeit? Highest end not musical

A Review On: Sennheiser IE 7 Earphones

Sennheiser IE 7 Earphones

Rated # 112 in Universal Fit
Amazon.com
akgK340owner

Pros: Most of frequency range.

Cons: Very high frequency notes sound dull, like hitting metal rods together. Mechanically: short penetration; hard to stay in.

These are normally over $400 on Amazon, where I got them for $100 "opened, but unused" with high expectations corresponding to the $400 price. They had all the tips, but with two mounted on the 'phones and four in the case; no grill cleaner. The problem I found, but which bothers me a lot, is that the highest notes on one of my favorite recordings, Philip Glass's Mishima soundtrack (which is like a tuneful test record), sound like a clicking, not ringing. They sounded like this on my CD, vinyl and iTunes versions, through my TX-NR708 ($800) Onkyo receiver phono input and through a TC-260MC phono amp and FiiO E09K headphone amp, and iPad3 for iTunes. Those notes are musical with my Sennheiser RS270's and AKG K-340's, and Definitive Mythos XTR50 speakers.
I haven't looked for the sound of such highs in other recordings, and maybe the effect doesn't occur with all IE7's, but I am disappointed.

Comments: