Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › Sennheiser HDVD800 › Sennheiser HDVD800 Reviews

Sennheiser HDVD800 Reviews

TheManko

A great amp that deserves a better dac than the one it comes with

Pros: A great companion to the HD 800, plenty of inputs and ouputs, looks nice

Cons: Not ideal for low ohm headphones, the dac sounds no better than mid-range gear

Having owned the HD 800 for more than three and a half years now I've spent untold hours looking into ways of bringing the best possible sound out of them. When Sennheiser announced the HDVD 800 it made my future upgrade decisions easy. I took the chance of being an early adopter, getting it before any reviews were out and hardly anyone had even posted impressions. Now several months later I feel comfortable expressing just what it's really like owning in practice, and how it stacks up to other gear. My perspective might be a bit limited, as I haven't heard nearly the same scope of gear as other more well known head-fi posters, but I've heard enough that this should at least be somewhat...
GSARider

Beautifully made and great sound

Pros: Fantastic quality, beautiful sound

Cons: Needs balanced XLR Cable to really shine

I first listened to the HDVD800 in Vegas at the CES Show in January 2013 and wasn't sure if it was worth the £1500 asking price, mainly due to the noisy environment at the show. Having spent some time with it at the London Head-Fi Meet and the chance to try it with the balanced XLR Cable with the HD800's, I was completely sold and knew I'd have to get one asap. Fast forward a couple of weeks later and courtesy of Custom Cable, I have one on my desk.   Balanced cable isn't on general release yet from Sennheiser, however I have one on order. Now even without and using the standard HD800 cable, the sound is open, neutral and a pleasure to listen to. Not to mention the simple...