Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones Reviews

Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones Reviews

homesicalien

What they say is true

Pros: Balance, treble's and mid's timbre, resolution, comfort, weight, sturdiness, look

Cons: Bass could be more extended

My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let you down. So I bought one too. A huge disappointment. One word: veil. "WTF?", I thought. The same headphones model, sound totally different. The answer is: there are 4 versions of HD 580. Germany made, early Ireland made, mid Ireland made, late Ireland made with bright driver screen. I probably bought the worst one (mid Ireland). My colleague has early Ireland version. I read some headfi opinions about HD 580 line. Apparently the oldest one (made in Germany) were the best sounding. So I started...
JamesHuntington

300 ohm version here

Pros: comfy, sound nice

Cons: pads, cant find replacement

Purchased used from a friend. I shoe-gooed the pads to keep them going, but otherwise... I have AKG 701 and Yamaha yh-100 and I keep going back to these. They are as good as my other cans in many ways, but just not as demanding physically. I mean they are light and comfortable like a glove. The AKGs leave huge dimples in my bald head, where these don't. They need power, which I can hardly supply with my equipment. But they are a true hifi experience every time I use them and you hear everything like it's in your head. I'm having a hard time finding pads though.