Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones Reviews

Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones Reviews

Showing 4 3-star reviews (see all 47 reviews)

Lunatique

A bit overrated

Pros: Comfortable, detailed, big soundstage

Cons: Artificial sounding, anemic in the bass, can be too bright, overpriced

I have listened to the HD800 twice, and I never really warmed up to it. And to clarify, they were not casual listening sessions--I took my time and did the listening under the following condition:   -In a controlled environment without distraction and noise -Used high-end audio source and gears in the signal chain -Had other flagship headphones there to do direct comparisons with -Had ample time to do the listening tests, and took as long as I wanted   I should also clarify that I'm an audio professional (composer, songwriter, sound designer) that have worked in both high-end recording/mixing/mastering studios, as well as have built my own studio twice in two...
The Monkey

So Close

Pros: Similar speed and agility to stats

Cons: No soul

An expensive, technically proficient headphone that has no soul.  Does mate well with the Luxman P-1 or P1-u, but at that point, why not go electrostatic, which is what these are trying to be in the first place.  Kudos to Senn for innovation, but these are just too steely for my tastes.
Lan647

A very overrated headphone

Pros: Massive soundstage. Very high-resolution sound with low resonance. Very comfortable. Quality construction.

Cons: Not natural sounding; the tonality is bright with a lack of proper body and weight to the sound. Paint job fragile. Overpriced.

I purchased this headphone for full retail price a couple of years ago, and in the beginning, I felt very positive about it. But things change, and as I got to try many other high end offering by other manufacturers, as I got to try this headphone with different amps, sources, cables and so forth, I have come to the conclusion that this headphone is perhaps the most overhyped piece of audio gear in the head-fi industry. The truth hurts, but you learn from your mistakes.    As controversial as it may be, I felt the need to change my positive review and write what I feel about the HD 800s.   To start with the positive, build quality and ergonomics here...
DirkDK

Not completely satisfied

Cons: lispering

I totally agree with the review of Skylab; what a great and honest review! The reason I'm not really happy with the HD 800 is because I bought it as a reference headphone. After listening to the recording of my choir (professionally recorded) I noticed that all of the consonants 'S' sung by the female voices didn't sound natural at all; they sound like they were 'lispering'. I really thought there was something wrong with my headphone; but after googling for a solution for this, I found this review by Skylab that explained the problem. I listened to another choir recording (the third part from the Gloria from John Rutter sung by the Cambridge singers) with this lyrics:  ...