Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones › Reviews › jbarr1989's Review

My experience with the HD800s

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones

Price paid: $1,100.00
jbarr1989

Pros: Crisp, Clear, Detailed, Neutral, Amazing soundstage

Cons: Bass is light, Price

I recently spent about a month with a pair of HD800s.  I was immediately more impressed with these upon my first listen than with any pair of headphones ever.  The amound of detail these present is just unreal.  The sound is VERY neutral, true to the recording, and because of this bass can seem a bit lacking.  To be honest, even with bass-heavy music these are a bit lacking.  However they have the fastest, most detailed response I have ever heard from a pair of headphones.  Midrange and highs are the best I have ever heard on any headphone without a doubt.  Soundstage is quite expansive, they sound very "open" and airy with outstanding clarity.  They are hands down the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.  My one complaint with the design is how easily the paint chips, as many have said before.  They are expensive, and I while I feel that they beat my LCD-2's in every single way possible I still prefer my D7000s to these.  I guess it just comes down to personal taste.  If you like a robust bass response like I will admit I do, these won't be for you.

Would you mind posting your source and amp ?
This looks like a review where they used a SS amp with the HD800, prove me wrong any time.
Still I would probably think a Fostex TH-900 would be a better choice for you.
My experience was different: I was very fond of my d7000, but after buying HD800 find D7000 pretty rough. LCD-3 I did not like because of the low resolution and a claustrophobic effect. FostexTH900 - kitschy perfection for house & dub step music lover. Stax009 - watercolor painting, but very expensive with a good amplifier. So my unconditional choice - HD800. This is headphone-Stradivarius!