Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones › Reviews › DirkDK's Review

Not completely satisfied

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones

DirkDK
Posted · 495 Views · 1 Comment

Cons: lispering

I totally agree with the review of Skylab; what a great and honest review!

The reason I'm not really happy with the HD 800 is because I bought it as a reference headphone.

After listening to the recording of my choir (professionally recorded) I noticed that all of the

consonants 'S' sung by the female voices didn't sound natural at all; they sound like they were 'lispering'. I really thought there was something wrong with my headphone; but after googling for a solution for this, I found this review by Skylab that explained the problem. I listened to another choir recording (the third part from the Gloria from John Rutter sung by the Cambridge singers) with this lyrics:

"quoniam tu solus sanctus tu  solus altissimus, tu solus Dominus, Tu solus Altissimus Jesu Christe..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUoN27W6hQ4

It's a pain to listen to those 's' sung in this case by boys ...

I think this isn't acceptable for a reference headphone with this price ...

1 Comment:

Interesting. I sold my HD800 because I had trouble listening to Natalie Dessay (my favorite soprano) recordings with them. It seemed disembodied and unnatural, and the sung S's were just odd.