Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones Reviews

Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones Reviews

BBBS

Amazing

Pros: Like having a pair of tiny Albert Halls for each side of your head

Cons: You will spend a fortune trying to get a small improvement

These are simply the de facto best headphones at this price. They have a dark, slow sound that's suited to strings, guitar and vocals, and their matched drivers mean that centre-stage vocals will actually come from between your ears.   These don't so much break in, rather you get used to their reproduction. I can't recommend these enough, and everybody should spend some time with these, whether they take to them immediately or not.
born2bwild

Great sound at a great value

Pros: Mids, Sennheiser sound signature, comfort

Cons: Design, hard to drive

I bought these headphones on December 2011 and have since been thoroughly using them. I am absolutely happy with my purchase and here is why: Pros: - Great sound, albeit a bit on the darker side (amazingly natural mids, and poignant lows with controlled highs) - Requires at least a 100 hours of burn-in (200 hours recommended if you want to hear the true sound); so it keeps getting better - Amazing bargain at $300, as the sound quality is truly unbelievable - Extremely comfortable to wear for long hours - Fares excellent in general use Cons: - Requires a powerful amp to reach its full potential - Build quality and design are average
ObscureMethods

Lucious

Pros: Mids, Comfort, Soundstage

Cons: Sound leakage, Fragility

These cans are exquisite. I can literally fall asleep with these on. This fact is cheifly assoiated with their velour ear pads. And in regards to sound, their sound quality is immearsive. No singular element of their sound is deprived. I can state that they're immaculately endowed with mid-range presence. Bottom line is. if you can afford the admittance fee these will grant you auditory bliss.
cjpearson

Hd650 - losing my headphone virginity

Pros: Comfortable, well made, the sound! semi-affordable, attractive, great packaging

Cons: None

I was lucky to find my pair for sale at the price I paid (so my saying this is a bargain is based upon the relatively low amount I had to part with.) Firstly, i'm not, by any means - an audiophile (yet.) Although I love music, love to put my headphones on my head and relax, I am still coming to terms with all of the lingo and what not.   To the headphones. I've never owned an audiophile paid of full-sized headphones before. The closest I came was the 515s then the 595s. Both were okay, but lacked any real character. When I stumbled upon this site, I couldn't hold back any longer. I sold my other cans and invested in a pair of 650s and a Little Dot MK III Amp.    I quickly had a...
ardilla

HD650 - inside the music

Pros: Varm, detailed and intimate sound

Cons: Pads could be softer / headband should be less thight

1) My setup at home: Naim DAC - Naim Headline - HD650. I love it. It's like being in a dark room sitting in the midst of the band playing - or rather inside each and every instrument simultaneously. My only complaint is that sometimes on some specific recordings I get the feeling I might prefer a slightly colder, more distant soundstage. The HD650 seems to have a slight bass "hump", which usually is very enjoyable, but sometimes can get a bit too much. Can't win 'em all :-)    I  also want to add that I experienced that the 650's needed 50 hours + burn-in. I was actually quite dissapointed at first.    2) Did a comparison for an hour or so in a dealers listening-room on...
MrProggie

Perhaps the last headphones you need to buy

Pros: Good with all kinds of music. Very revealing of micro details.

Cons: Hard to think of any.

I bought these used in near mint condition and they were already burnt in. The so called Sennheiser veil won't bother you that much. You might notice highs rolling slightly off on instruments like harps. Some headphones might make Loreena McKennitt's harp playing almost pinch your ears, but on HD650 it's a pleasure to listen to. I have never owned headphones of this quality before and it was something of a revelation to hear FLAC files through these headphones. Suddenly I heard details and sounds never heard before even though I have owned some of my CD's for 23 years. These headphones obviously needs a separate headphone amplifier whether you're going to use them on your portable...
Woody469

Everyone Should Own A Pair

Pros: Non Fatiguing, Accurate Yet Delicious

Cons: Unless You Can Properly Amp and Source, Don't Bother

I was enjoying these just fine using an RSA SR-71A portable amp. Quite powerful little amp for a portable. Recently purchased a Channel Island Headphone Amp with upgraded Power Supply. Wow ! I thought I had heard the HD650 but in fact what I had been listening to was trash compared to what these are capable of when properly amped. Expansive soundstage, deep, powerful bass, crystal clear highs and a midrange to make you drool. Top notch headphone ONLY if you feed it properly.
Sort

The Art of Headphones

Pros: The Sound Signature I Love

Cons: Physical Looks

I can't imagine another 650 review is needed for the known universe, especially here on headfi. While I enjoy reading them, I also don't take the "objective" reviews seriously. While I would everyone to have the cans that move them into a space for deep listening for music, I can only be concerned here with my ears. And what I hear from the 650 goes beyond the "veil" or analytical accounts of treble range or sub bass. What we have here is an artistic expression - masterfully done. It's more than just the science or looks. What I know is that from the very first point I put these on, I feel myself falling deeply into the music, even my songs produced poorly or poorly ripped or just plain...
Johannus

Fantastic clean, detailed, warm, present and well balanced sound!

Pros: Clean sound, fantastic resolution, great tone, warm, well balanced, very detailed sound, the highs and mids are smooth, clean and sound very musically

Cons: Amp needed.

Everything sounds great, extremely clean and extremely detailed on the HD 650.   Fantastic clean sound, fantastic resolution, fantastic tone, warm, extremely well balanced, great bass (not boosted), very detailed sound, well separated instruments, very present sound, great sound stage, the highs and mids are smooth, clean and sound very musically.   And how about the infamous veil of the HD 650? It, definitely, does not exist. Perhaps on the old models, with the black drive, it could be true. On my new model, with the silver drive, there is absolutely no veil.
Petrosmalk

Fantastic warm, present and well balanced sound!

Cons: Amp needed.